Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 19, 2008, 1:30 PM   #21

OK a mundane (dumb) question for you tech heads.... Are the lens' in question, Sigms/Leica compatable with the E500 series automatic features. Or are they all manual...?
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 3:27 PM   #22

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
OK a mundane (dumb) question for you tech heads.... Are the lens' in question, Sigms/Leica compatable with the E500 series automatic features. Or are they all manual...?
all are automatic. the leica has an aperture ring, but its non-functional on oly cameras, so the aperture is set with the camera.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 3:33 PM   #23

OCD wrote:
Quote:
Regarding your query on the Olympus 25mm pancake at f2.8, this is an example at about the closest focus distance the Oly will go to at8",which is about twice as close as the Sigma and the Leica will go. In keeping with the thread it is a pretty boring picture done for illustration purposes only, and I'm not a rose type person, so you'll have to make do with dying flowers.

Obviously the lens sharpens up quite a bit after f2.8, and backing off the focus to where the Sigma and Leica would at their closest helps improve performance a lot.But to be honest for a standard lens in the Olympus range I don't think the 25mm Pancake does to badlyat the combined extreme ends of thefocus and aperture range.
thanks OCD. i had expected the bokeh to be pretty bad, but it looks decent on the samples i've seen. nice lens.
Old May 19, 2008, 3:57 PM   #24

gwillys wrote:
Quote:
Scouse wrote:
Quote:
all are automatic. the leica has an aperture ring, but its non-functional on oly cameras, so the aperture is set with the camera.
Thanks Gwillys. Good answer..:-)
Old May 19, 2008, 3:57 PM   #25

gwillys wrote:
Quote:
Scouse wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Gwillys. Good answer..:-)
Old May 20, 2008, 8:33 AM   #26

Ok - so basically what it boils down to is if I can afford to do so buy the Leica, if not perhaps the sigma. The 25mm Olympus is temping as well.

The 50mm Olympus was mentioned as well. Seems to be right around the same price point as the Sigma. Honestly, the reason I didn't consider it before was the aperature difference, but in retrospec it seems like perhaps for a more all purpose type lens (as opposed to something for low light situations specifically) it may be a better idea?
Rileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 10:21 AM   #27

yep, something to think about. the zd 50 has no barrel/pincushion distortion, very good macro, sharp, very good portrait lens, good bokeh. af can be a little slow (because its a macro). IQ wise, it plays with the big boys.

i'll betchait's sharper at f2 than the sigma. after all, what good is f1.4 if the images zuck.
Old May 20, 2008, 6:00 PM   #28
OCD

Rileigh wrote:
Quote:
Ok - so basically what it boils down to is if I can afford to do so buy the Leica, if not perhaps the sigma. The 25mm Olympus is temping as well.

The 50mm Olympus was mentioned as well. Seems to be right around the same price point as the Sigma. Honestly, the reason I didn't consider it before was the aperature difference, but in retrospec it seems like perhaps for a more all purpose type lens (as opposed to something for low light situations specifically) it may be a better idea?
It really depends on what you imagine doing with the lens and the balance of factors.

If it is DOF (or lack of it) that is importantthe Oly 25mm at f2.8, but focusing twice as close as the Sigma/Leica, will largely offset the smaller aperture in terms ofDOF. The Oly 50mm will do the same sort of thing in the other direction, being 50mm and f2 it will have a similar DOF as the Sigma/Leica f1.4 because of the greatertelephoto effect.

So on a qualitative level the choice should be not only the inherent lens quality, butbetween outrightspeed and if you need it, and small DOF and how much you need it. Once you decide on that the price will be the final decider. This has nothing to do with SQF results, but how YOU want the lens to be part of your kit. Its a pretty un-radical approach to buying a lens thatgwillys may continue todisagree with, but so what.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 6:09 PM   #29

OCD wrote:
Quote:
Its a pretty un-radical approach to buying a lens thatgwillys may continue todisagree with, but so what.
lol, ok, you got me. i have no idea what that means, but on the other hand, so what.
Old May 20, 2008, 8:13 PM   #30

anyway Rileigh, sounds like you have a handle on it.it'll be interesting to seewhat you decide on. looking forward to more of your pics