Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 18, 2008, 7:39 PM   #1

I've been playigg around with both the E3 and E1 and the first thing that i really notice is the size difference between the OVF between the two cams and how much bigger the E3's is compared to the E1. Now that got me thinking about why Oly did not upgrade the 510's and now 520's OVF to the same one used in the E1 ? To me it makes sense to use the E1's OVF in a 520 sized body and it would only help nail "the OVf is too small" complaint that most reviewers keep on making.

Would an E1 sized VF in a 520 sized body hurt E3 sales ? I personally think it would not as the difference between the two is substantial and once you've used the E3's OVF its tough using even the E1s. Come on Oly pull your finger out and do it !

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2008, 5:13 AM   #2

99.999% of the time i manual focus. i need a good ovf.

yep, its a shame that to get a decent ovf, you have to buy an e3. i do ok with an e1, but the only upgrade path for me is an e3, unless i switch systems which im reluctant to do with all the 4/3 gear here.

Harj - you'd mentioned a panny pro model. heard anything about it?
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 8:28 PM   #3

hi Gwillys: What focusing screen do you use on your E1? There are split-imaging focusing screensfor E-1, E500, etc for sale on e-bay. If you do a lot of manual focus you should change your screen.

Steve R
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 8:40 PM   #4

Hi G

I've not heard anything about the upcoming PanaLeica Pro sicne last year and that was from one of Panaleica's engineers doing an on the record intereview, where he mentioned an entry level cam to arrive first (the L10) and then after that Panaleica's pro camera whcih they were actively developing. I can only assume that it'll have an OVF as big or better than the E3's and a whole new sensor - with a weak AA filter. I can see them fitting the bounce flash to it (can;t see why no else has followed suit), full manual controls (shutter dial and ap rings), a higher res articluated LCD and possibly styled like a mini R. I had thought we'd see a mockup this Feb but we'll have to wait to Photokina now. It'll be an interesting cam when it shows up!

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 3:07 PM   #5

that would be nice. may be my next camera ifit gels. go panny
Old May 25, 2008, 9:53 PM   #6

Hi gwillys: you do a lot of manual focus. I thought of you when I came across this item on e-bay. Its an eyepiece magnifier for E series. Not sure if it also fits the E-1, but thought you might want to check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eyepiece-Magnifi...QQcmdZViewItem
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 12:24 AM   #7

olympus makes one for the E series, i have it on my e-500, it's the ME-1. It makes a huge difference to the biggest shortcoming of this camera

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...acccategory=53
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 5:54 AM   #8

i havea me1 on my e500 as well as a split prism focusing screen. lousy compared to a stock e1. RJ's pentax eyepiece is a improvement, but im over it. theres no substitute for the real thing. i do ok with a e1,but want something better, so a e3 (or new panny?) is the only option with 4/3. i dont normally print over 8x12, so im not in a big rush, as long as the old e1 keeps clunking along.

my new gate latch - e1/rokkor 35 1.8 w/o