Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 27, 2008, 7:48 AM   #1

Hi All,

I happened to stumble onto this review of the 12-60mm lens this morning on Dpreview and thought it might be of interest to those, like me, who are in the market to upgrade from the 14-45mm kit lens and are considering either a 14-54mm or the 12-60mmlens.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/..._o20/page4.asp

Those of you who own this wonderful lens already know what the review is going to say.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2008, 6:02 PM   #2

Hi, Zig

That review, like the one that PopPhoto did, indicates that Oly continues to build outstanding glass.

But it also caused me to think again about what we trade off when using a 4/3 sensor. I mentioned in another thread that I can overcome the lower high-ISOperformance of a non-FF sensor with the faster glass Oly and Leica produce for the 4/3 format. But of course you give up some DOF with that route. The Oly 12-60 zoom reinforces another trade-off, in that it's very difficult to build a wide-angle lens for that smaller sensor. Sooo I'll keep my 11-22mm Oly and remind myself that I'm still saving $15K or more for a good system compared to a FF system (grin).

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 7:25 PM   #3

Hi Guys

The 12-60 review on dp was a pretty good one and I think shows that oly's decision to go for a new lens mount and telecentric design was a good decision. I read the Nikkor 70-200VR review as well and that highlighted the predicament that APS-C users are going to face if they move up to FF - glass that was very good to excellent on a D300/D80 etc suddenly finding that its no longer so on a D3 and that to get the same IQ will mean buying new glass - likely bigger, heavier and even more costly.

Cheers

Harj

:?:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 11:02 PM   #4

Hi Ted/Harj,

Thanks for your response to this post.

I wish I could sit here and say thatI was smart enough to have researched all facets of Olympus' Four/Thirds design goalswhich included a total redesign of their lens offering prior to my buying an E-500. My buying decision was largely based on my experience with the C-5060 digicam- a great point and shoot. Additionally, there was a lot of positive press on the E-500. Ironically, the one big issue, at that time, was Olympus' lack of a complete lineup of lenses. Boy, has that sure changed.....

Olympus' lens offering continues to grow while receiving very positive reviews. The Oly kit lenses are actually so good that it makes it hard for me to pull the trigger on getting the 12-60mm.

Ted, I know why you feel the way you do about the 11-22mm. Me, I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 9-18mm lens.If it's anywhere near as good as the price to performance value of the 70-300mm lens, itshould be a very interesting wide angle possibility indeed.

Harj, I totally agree. more and more reviews support the fact that the FourThirds design is a good one. At the same time, lenses are priced within reach of the enthusiast like me. It would be impossible for me to ever even consider getting an FF D3 camera and the lenses required to take full advantage of it. (I know I'm not the target market for the D3 but it fun to dream)

Yes, there arethe limitations of the smaller 4/3 sensor, but with that come smaller and lighter lenses that are also outstanding.

zig

Old May 28, 2008, 11:18 AM   #5

What Zig said...!

When I bought the 500 I didn't even know what the difference was between the 4/3 system and the FF one. 4/3 sounded to me like it was 1/3 larger...:-)

Like I said in an earlier post, I bought the 500 based on the good luck and times I'd had with earlier Oly cameras. That and the fact that I'd found Steves Digicams review on it.
The 12-60 paired with the 50-200 or 70-300 sounds pretty nice to me for walk around lenses.

The fact that these smaller lenses double the focal length...well you've all said that.

Sometimes, like while watching 'Travels to the Edge' on Sunday evenings. I do get pangs of "weeny envy" when seeing the huge hunks of glass that Art Wolfe carts around with him.

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 11:37 AM   #6

Hey Ken,

How are things in the great Northwest.

I mentioned that I started my Oly digicam experience with the C-5060. One of the main reasons, I chose that camera was, at the time, I was working for a real estate appraisal company here on the Cape. The c-5060 has 27-122mm lens in a 35mm EQV. While being a very versatile camera, it was a great camera to take interior shots of homes.

About 3yrs ago the refi market here dried up and business really slowed down.The RE market is stagnant here right now,to the point that I'm not renewing my Appraisor's license.

Hope the market your in is doing better.

zig

Old May 28, 2008, 7:00 PM   #7

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hey Ken,

How are things in the great Northwest.

I mentioned that I started my Oly digicam experience with the C-5060. One of the main reasons, I chose that camera was, at the time, I was working for a real estate appraisal company here on the Cape. The c-5060 has 27-122mm lens in a 35mm EQV. While being a very versatile camera, it was a great camera to take interior shots of homes.

About 3yrs ago the refi market here dried up and business really slowed down.The RE market is stagnant here right now,to the point that I'm not renewing my Appraisor's license.

Hope the market your in is doing better.

zig

The RE market up here is eminating loud sucking noises. It's not good (English understatement..:-)) My wife and I are trying to figure what we're going to do when we grow up. One of us might have to find a job that pays.
We're going to see how the summer goes for us.

I did a full appraisers course in school a few years back (15/18 maybe) and decided against following it up. They didn't have computer programs for it then, just thatshort timeago.

Old May 28, 2008, 7:15 PM   #8

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
My wife and I are trying to figure what we're going to do when we grow up. One of us might have to find a job that pays.
We're going to see how the summer goes for us.
You are not alone my friend, I've been flying under the radar (pretty much retired) for the last 5 yrs but the economy, rising cost of gas, and astronomical heating bills are all forcing me to............. "get a haircut and get a real job"

Zig
Old May 28, 2008, 10:20 PM   #9

Hi Ken & Zig: It's a small world isn't it? I'm a independent contractor in mortgage banking, andthe work is really, really slow. I used to travel extensivelyaround the country working on bigbulk sales from the banks to the Wall Street boys. Now the business is so slow I might have to also get an honest job.

:?

The mortgage industry has aways been cyclical, but thisis one of the biggest downturns thatI remember. On the photography side, I've got some great shots across this country that I would not have gotten but for the fact that I traveled so much. Maybe I'll get a chance to share some of them. My various Oly cameras stood up well to a lot of airline travel.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 11:47 AM   #10

Whooo Hooo! We actually got a deal signed around yesterday.... We eat tonight..

So what to people who work in the housing industry do at these times? They tag onto "On linecamera forums"and chat with like minded friends for comfort...! Like, these are the lenses I'm going to buy if and when I........... Well right now it's "Win the Lottery..:-)

RRiley-from-Oz is also a 'realtor'. He's dropped of a bit lately, business must be picking up there. Or like me earlier in the year, he's busy trying to get busy.

Yeh, my Oly 2 had a couple of nice dings in it and the brass was/is showing through where the black had worn off. Rugged little devil though.

My other forum is bigsoccer, Liverpool is my other passion. Hence my username.