Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 27, 2008, 12:24 PM   #1

My 70-300 lens won't rotate out to a full 300 zoom. It stops at about 150. I CAN manually rotate it to 300 by twisting the barrel itself but when I attempt to focus, it pulls itself back in to the 150 zoom area again before focusing. This happens in whatever camera mode I'm using, including manual focus. Anyone have this happen?Do I need to contact Olympus about this? If so, what's the quickest way to get an answer, by phone or E-mail?

I appreciate any help.

Angie Irvine
spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2008, 1:18 PM   #2

Hi,

The outer barrel is used by you to zoom the lens to whatever focal length you want to shoot your image with. The inner barrel is operated by the camera to focus on the subect you've chosen. Depending on how far away your subject is, the inner barrel can be at any position, from all the way in to almost fully extended.

Try this, rotate the outer barrel to 300mm, then try focusing on a subject approx. 3 to 4 ft away. The inner barrel should be almost fully extended. It's best if you try this outside or in good light.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 1:58 PM   #3

I know exactly what you are looking at. When it comes to zooming, ignore those numbers on the inner, thinnerbarrell that extends when you zoom. That has nothing to do with where you are in the zoom range. This has been asked many times on the Olympus forum over at DPReview. The numbers that show where you are in the zoom range as you zoomare the ones located on the same barrell as the zoom ring itself. The lens does not stop zooming at 150mm.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 2:02 PM   #4

Hey Greg,

How did you make out at the races with your 70-300mm? I'm looking forward to seeing some of your shots.

zig

Old May 27, 2008, 4:16 PM   #5

I'm still waiting to see, too! Now, I'm hoping to get out there with that outfitthis Saturday. Whether it's Saturday or Sunday. I definitely want to go before the Belmont Stakes, which is June 7. That weekend will be a mess because everyone will go to the track hereto bet that race. Triple Crown weekends are out for me....too many people.

And I will definitely post some shots here when I do.
Old May 28, 2008, 12:56 PM   #6

Thanks for that help. You're right, if it's a mind to, it will fully extend. TodayI have been experimenting with going for 300mm at about 3-4 feet. It is cloudy outside, so I have the ISO set to 400 and the WB to "cloudy". I use mostly center weighted focusing. SOMETIMES it will lock on and focus at that distance, frequently the barrel will move in and out and refuse to focus, all I end up with is a blur. It is doing okay at a distant object--I have several bird feeders that attract our feathered friends, but I don't think the images are as crisp as they should be, even when it indicates that focus and exposure are locked. I don't always use a tripod, but usually my camera is resting on the railing of the deck or the top of the grill, so there isn't much camera movement. And I do think that it has trouble when I am only a few feet away and going for 300mm. I guess I'll think about what to do. I did talk to an Oly rep. yesterday, and they will be glad to look at the lens. I have all the documentation and it is under warranty, so maybe I'll just send it to be sure that all the optics and such are working properly.

Thanks again for your tip.

Angie I.

spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 1:25 PM   #7

Hi,

Yes, the lens will tend to hunt if there isn't enough light (indoors)or if you're trying to focus on an object closer than around 39".

Not sure if you've read this article, but the following is a link to an article discussing in detail, the 70-300mm lens:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/zd-070-300.html

FWIW, I typically have my best luck with the camera set to Aperture Mode, F7.1, EV -03, ISO 200 or 400, (depending on light) WB-Auto, C-AF,

I also tend to use a tripod when I fully extend the focal length to 300mm.

Good Luck

Zig

Old May 28, 2008, 2:07 PM   #8

spedangie wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for that help. You're right, if it's a mind to, it will fully extend. TodayI have been experimenting with going for 300mm at about 3-4 feet. It is cloudy outside, so I have the ISO set to 400 and the WB to "cloudy". I use mostly center weighted focusing. SOMETIMES it will lock on and focus at that distance, frequently the barrel will move in and out and refuse to focus, all I end up with is a blur. It is doing okay at a distant object--I have several bird feeders that attract our feathered friends, but I don't think the images are as crisp as they should be, even when it indicates that focus and exposure are locked.
Depth of field at 300mm and 3-4 feet is going to be paper thin....even at a small f-stop, so the area of absolutesharpness isgoing to be a very small part of the scene. Also, check the minimum focus distance....I can't quote it from here at the office, but 3-4 feet sounds like you areclose tothe minimum focus distance, so if you are just a LITTLE too close, it won't focus at allwithout something like a close up lens or extension tube attached.

Give yourself some time with this lens. I and many others who used film SLR's never ownedlenses that went to 300mm, much less a 35mm equivalent of 600mm. My filmoutfits often topped out with either a 180mm f2.8 or 200mm 4 lens, and even those needed to be held right to get sharp results. This lens is much longer and, unlike digicams where virtually anything in the field of view, at any focal length,can be made sharp due to the huge depth of field, these lenses require quite a bit more consideration in useto get the best results.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:29 PM   #9

Here's an interesting note on how to get better AF speed with this lens I just saw over on the Olympus forum at DPReview, with some very nice examples..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=28104286

On another note, $81 poorer, I now have a ticket for the Saturday night Major League Baseball game between the Texas Rangers and Oakland A's, 9 rows behind the Rangers' dugout, which will be the next event I give this lens a go. That close, it should be interesting.

Old May 30, 2008, 6:40 AM   #10

Hi Greg,

A big thanks for the heads up.

BTW, I don't know if you had a chance to look at this fellows' eagle photos gallery on SmugMug but they are the most impressive shots of birds of prey I've seen yet using the 70-300mm lens. The IQ onmany of the shots is simply stunning.

81bucks for a ticket.... Ouch!!!

Zig