Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 30, 2008, 10:07 PM   #1

Made a trip bya couple ofareas where I knew there were some stands of wild flowers this evening and shot a few more closeups with the 70-300 f4-5.6 Digital Zuiko and extension tube EX25, and continue to really enjoythis wonderful optic..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2008, 11:12 PM   #2

.........hi Greg,

I missed out on any wildflowers this year....... always glad to see yours.

After my trip last weekend to Hillsboro, I have pretty much decided I want the 70-300 as a better walk around weight/size alternative to the 50-200. I can't imagine the ----300 ever replacing my 50-200 but it surely would be handy in some situations as you have mentioned a number of times.

Arlington Camera has yet to get the EC-14 into the store so I still have my money to spend and the recent posts w/examples of the 70-300 are quickly convincing me that the lens would be great fun to have.

Anyway, hope you had, or will have, a good time at the ballgame. In the mid 70's the company I worked for in Dallas (Sanger-Harris) had season tickes at the old ballpark @ $7.00 for row 7 immediately back of the Ranger dugout. My family saw a LOT of games for several years. Parking was CHEAP too.

But nowadays the CATS are a better opportunity at $10 for a fun game IMO.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 11:27 PM   #3

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:

But nowadays the CATS are a better opportunity at $10 for a fun game IMO.

Yes, the Cats probably are a lot of fun. Lot of history there too.

I've even thought about driving up to Frisco....very close for me, to see the Ranger's AA team, but I figured maybe once...or twice a year I can live with the prices for major league baseball, but how the Rangerssell these tickets consistently is a mystery to me. I'm getting there early tomorrow afternoon before they close the south lot for game-day trafficand get parked to save the $12! Between the museum, fan store, doing some shots around the stadium and having an eary dinner I can pass the time!

Of course, I will get over there early enough to drop by Arlington Camera, check things out and maybe (if they are doing it) get on the waiting list for the 9-18.

That E3 seems to be suiting you well! Nice shots down in Hillsboro. I've been down there to do some studyingat the excellent Civil War Research Center at the college.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:33 PM   #4

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
Arlington Camera has yet to get the EC-14 into the store so I still have my money to spend and the recent posts w/examples of the 70-300 are quickly convincing me that the lens would be great fun to have.

Forget the EC-14! I was in the store yesterday before going to the Rangers' game and saw just what you need to go with that 50-200.....the 14-35 f2 SWD!

I couldn't bring myself to ask them to let me take a look or ask the price. Can't remember for sure, but I think I saw two boxes, so there's one there for both of us!
Old Jun 2, 2008, 3:07 PM   #5

excellent images!
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:13 PM   #6

Here are some more images....this timeof roses sent to aco-worker at the office today. These were shot like the others posted above, but indoors with the Olympus FL50 flash. Shot RAW and processed in Olympus Studio 2.

First image shot without the tube..

The rest of these were shot with the EX25 tube fitted..

Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:53 PM   #7

...........I like these with 3 & 4 being favorite. For myself I would like # 1 sharpened some. The tube seems to work well, I've never used one but if you keep posting these kinds of shots I may want to get one to fit the new 70-300 I ordered yesterday.

My grandson started his summer baseball program today so I am anxious to see how much more comfortable the new lens is vs. the 50-200. The team is going to Palm Beach, FL in two weeks for one week....... I ain't going, DARN!
Old Jun 6, 2008, 9:26 PM   #8

Thanks, Bob!

I tried one or two originally without flash, using ISO 800. Didn't like the look, so I fitted the FL50 and forgot to turn the ISO down! I compensated in Studio by turning the noise filter from off to low.

The other thing I should have done with that first image was to set a smaller aperture to give a little wider/deeper depth of focus. This was shot pretty much wide open at f4.1.

I am HOPEFUL of going to Grand Prairie Sunday. With Saturday's Belmont Stakes, Sunday should be a light crowd at the track....but I'll check the calendar to make sure there's nothing special going on, just in case! I hoping to do what I've been trying to do now the last couple of weekends....try the continuous AF while continuallyzoomingto follow the ponies down the track.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 9:41 PM   #9

Dammit Greg X^o You are going to make me buy that darn tube arent you.....Muuuust resist eeeebay.

signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 9:54 PM   #10

signalsoldier wrote:
Quote:
Dammit Greg X^o You are going to make me buy that darn tube arent you.....Muuuust resist eeeebay.
Ha! To resist is futile.

We all have our demons. After saying I wantedthe 9-18 Zuiko when it comes out, I'm thinking about re-buying the 7-14 Zuiko I foolishly sold a year or so ago the next time finances permit....definitely a lens where you've got to plan the purchase. By the time I'm in that position the 9-18 will have been out long enough I'll know the image quality it's capable of. I'm hopeful it'll be as good as this 70-300 is and save me around $1,000.