Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 31, 2008, 4:14 AM   #1

Hi Guys

Just wondering whether you should have the IS on or not when shooting at a high shutter speed, eps when panning a moving object ?

Cheers

Harj

: o )>
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2008, 6:05 AM   #2

Hi Harj,

Based on personal experience, I need to keep IS enabled regardless of shutter speed. I would think the average individual woulld not have to do that. As for when to disable IS- that's a good question.

Wrotniak has 2 article on IS. One for the E-510 and the 2nd for the E-3.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-is.html

Just be sure to have a cup of coffee with you when you read them 'cause they are some of the dryest :shock:articles I've read.

As for your 2nd question. I haven't tried panning a subject in motion but based on the way IS works, my thinking is that I would disable IS on the E-510 in order to get the proper effect.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 7:37 AM   #3

zig-123 wrote: [quote]zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I haven't tried panning a subject in motion but based on the way IS works, my thinking is that I would disable IS on the E-510 in order to get the proper effect.
Hmmm, I would have said the opposite. But I suppose it depends upon whetherthe purpose of panning is to get the background blurred, or simply to get a sharp image of a subject that is moving.

Maybe the folks in this forum that image flying birds have experience with IS on or off.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 8:07 AM   #4

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Wrotniak has 2 article on IS. One for the E-510 and the 2nd for the E-3.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-is.html

Just be sure to have a cup of coffee with you when you read them 'cause they are some of the dryest :shock:articles I've read.
Dunno why my previous post stuck my reply inside your quote - go figure.

Anyway, don't go beating up on us Polish physicists. "Stochasic" means "unpredictable" - you can't expect us to use a common word when a very technical word will suffice...

Seriously though, what Andrzej is doing is, as far as I can tell, the same thing PopPhoto did a while back when they tested the IS claims of manufacturers. If you cannot do reproducable measurements then you take a whole bunch of samples and see if you can get some meaningful statistics out of them. You express the result withterms like "you willprobably see a 1-stop improvement at XX mm focal length". Andrzej and PopPhoto weretaking issue with the manufacturers' statements of fact when that's just not possible to measure.

Curiously, in the 1990s PopPhoto ended up with the same conclusion for testing lens quality itself. Previously, lens test were "quantitative" - they measured the len's ability to resolve a series of lines printed very close together. But the problem was that the word "resolve" was fuzzy (pun intended) - as the lines get closer together the lens' image of themgradually gets fuzzy, not instantly. In that case how do you define "sharp" and "fuzzy"? Also, lenses that tested better than others at resolution didn't necessarily take better pictures in the eyes of experienced photographers.

So they went to a measurement they call "Subjective Quality Factor" which, as far as I can tell, isa similar statistical process to the one I described above - take a bunch of images and have experienced photographersdecide how good they are.

Yeah, you probably needed acup of coffee to read the above also (grin).

Ted
Old May 31, 2008, 8:10 AM   #5

........I have my E-3 IS set to stage I and really never think about it at all. As for shutter speed and action I always set to high-speed burst and some of the baseball action shots I have are at 2500 - 4000 shutter speed in bursts of 3 to 5 and usually with the 50-200 at any of its FLs.

Really, I don't know what to be on the lookout for (except for sharp and in focus results) so I just don't think about IS at all. Perhaps I will read Wrotniak's remarks to learn why I should or should not concern myself and, if I should think of it, maybe turn IS off for a comparison.

As for panning I rarely ever am in a situation to do that so no practice at that.

To me and for how I 'shoot pictures' IS is there, it is on and I just forget about it.

So, this is yet another thread that I will find interesting to learn from much like the recent couple of excellent posts.

I will now go back to lurking, thanks Harj for starting this topic for discussion.
_________
boBBrennan

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 9:21 AM   #6

Absolutely, no question...use the IS at high speeds and definitely when panning.

High speed panning shots are "my thing". I do airplane photos...probably 500 in the last month alone.

THIS IS IMPORTANT: When panning, use the IS2 mode only. The instruction manual is rather vague and imprecise. The manual says to use IS2 when panning "if you want the background blurred". Well, I didn't want the background blurred so shot my early panning shots with full IS (IS1) and they were pretty bad. Then I decided to try IS2 only and results were perfect. So use IS2 for ANY PANNING shot...not just for a blurred background. (EDIT...I'm referencing the E-510 manual, can't speak to the E-3).

The photo below is directly from the camera with NO postprocessing of any kind (no sharpness, no levels, nothing) it includes a 100% crop which shows detail on the tail including the unusual paint scheme and the fine anti-static wicks trailing off the rudder (again, that crop is entirely unprocessed).

Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 9:25 AM   #7

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
I always set to high-speed burst and some of the baseball action shots I have are at 2500 - 4000 shutter speed in bursts of 3 to 5 and usually with the 50-200 at any of its FLs.
Youreminded me that when I'm taking photos of birds or other moving things I need to get experienced with the sequential shooting mode.

Thanks

Ted
Old May 31, 2008, 9:31 AM   #8

Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:
THIS IS IMPORTANT: When panning, use the IS2 mode only. The instruction manual is rather vague and imprecise. The manual says to use IS2 when panning "if you want the background blurred". Well, I didn't want the background blurred so shot my early panning shots with full IS (IS1) and they were pretty bad. Then I decided to try IS2 only and results were perfect. So use IS2 for ANY PANNING shot...not just for a blurred background. (EDIT...I'm referencing the E-510 manual, can't speak to the E-3).
Thanks, Brent - that's helpful, and not what I would have expected from reading the E3 manual.I'm pretty sure the E3 results will be the same as the 510 - I believe they use the same IS technology.

Ted
Old May 31, 2008, 10:09 AM   #9

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
........I have my E-3 IS set to stage I and really never think about it at all.

To me and for how I 'shoot pictures' IS is there, it is on and I just forget about it.

boBBrennan
Yep, that about says it all for me as far as what I do. (except when I use a tripod)

And Ted said: "Anyway, don't go beating up on us Polish physicists."

Ted, you know I wouldn't say anything bad about Physicists Polish or otherwise.:G

The coffee reference was due to the fact I started reading those 2 articles this morning around 5:30 am and qucikly said to myself Uh Oh! I need coffee if I'm going to understand any of this!

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote