Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 3, 2008, 8:14 PM   #11

Hi G

Ok.. which Minolta lens shoudl I go for ? I'd be happy with a F1.4 but ain;t sure exactly which one. Any tips and advice on the manual lenses would be really cool!

Cheers

Harj

:O:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:14 PM   #12

Start here:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Battle%20of%2050s1.htm

This compares the F1.2 & F1.4 lenses (MC & MD, 50mm & 58mm)

And here, describes Minolta MC/MD lenses used with 4/3 olympus DSLRs.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/olympus.htm

Remember also, that other manual focus lenses are not in so much demand these days either. I bought a Tokina ATX 80-200mm F2.8 lens for around $100, for a Nikon Ai mount. It's a simple matter to buy a Nikon to 4/3 adapter for that!!! And remember, because it's a 4/3 sensor, the equivalent is 160-400mm F2.8 !!!!!!!

It opens up a whole world of "obsolete" manual focus lenses!!!

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:43 PM   #13

dnas wrote:
Quote:
And remember, because it's a 4/3 sensor, the equivalent is 160-400mm F2.8 !!!!!!!

Your statement is incorrect because you lose light with the older lenses
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:45 PM   #14

-=edge=- wrote:
Quote:
dnas wrote:
Quote:
And remember, because it's a 4/3 sensor, the equivalent is 160-400mm F2.8 !!!!!!!

What do you mean???
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:00 AM   #15

hi Harj.

my first experiance was with a mc 58 1.4, which i fitted with a 4/3 bayonet. that was before these cheap adapters were available. after that i was hooked & thankfully RJ developed his adapter. now he hasthe chipped version. he sent me one, and it works great.

you might find the 58mm 1.4 useful in the studio, or maybe a 50 1.4 would be better. a inexpensive way to see if you'll take to it. i like the 58 for portraits because it has some pincushion distortion.

or you could get one of the 1.2's, that require care with lighting (as do the 1.4's) w/o, but give interesting results. looks like prices are going up on these.

maybestart with a 1.4, just to see if you get any benefit over your zuiko glass. maybe not sharp enough w/o. if you dont like it, no big loss.

check out this thread, and Daves gallery: http://tinyurl.com/6cdz36
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:46 AM   #16

dnas wrote:
Quote:
-=edge=- wrote:
Quote:
dnas wrote:
Quote:

What do you mean???
while crop factor does increase, the F stop doesn't remain the same.
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:32 PM   #17

hey dnas, read this: http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Four-Thirds

maybe confusing at first, but you'll get used to it. in comparison to ff, 4/3 has its advantages; macro/telephoto, and disadvantages; normal/wide and more limited shallowdof.

as far as f stops, that is lens dependant. but equivalency on 4/3 is another matter. so your equivalent is 160-400mm F5.6. not quite as exciting, is it
Old Aug 4, 2008, 1:45 PM   #18
Administrator

dnas wrote:
Quote:
Not that many people know, but when Minolta changed their lens mount in 1985 (when they went AF), the old MF Minolta lenses were no longer usable on any new AF Minolta SLRs. The reason was because the MF Minolta bodies were so slim from lens mount to film plane, that if you mounted a MF Minolta lens on any other SLR body, it wouldn't focus to infinity.
[snip]
Minolta actually made an MC/MD to Maxxum mount adapter so that you could use the older Manual Focus lenses on their newer Autofocus bodies.

But, it had optical elements making it the equivalent of a 2X TC to allow for focus to infinity on a 35mm Maxxum (Minolta Autofocus) Body.

With a KM or Sony dSLR model, you can find third adapters that allow focus to infinity with very little added magnification. Most of the third party adapters have around 1.2x magnification (although some claim that they're not adding any and still allow infinity focus). B&H used to stock one that is reported to allow inifinity focus by KM dSLR owners. But, they've been out for a quite a while. It looks like they may be getting some back in again real soon though:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Minolta.html

You can also find them on Ebay.

You can also get a Minolta MC/MD to 4/3's adapter (although I understand that it's relatively simple to modify the old Rokkors so that they mount on a 4/3's body without an adapter. Here's an example of one (but, I don't know how good the quality is and I haven't used this vendor before):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160210665146

My brother-in-law has a Minolta SRT-101 and a nice collection of lenses for it. So, I've thought about getting an adapter from time to time (so that I can borrow them and try them on my KM 5D and Sony A700). But, I've acquired enough Minolta AF lenses that I probably won't bother now. These older Minolta Manual focus lenses are very inexpensive in the used market now, though; and if I were shooting with an Olympus dSLR, I'd probably want to try a few.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 3:14 PM   #19

& dont tell the canon guys about this. theres a flange replacement kit that allows mc/md to mount on EOS cropped sensor cameras.

Old Aug 4, 2008, 3:26 PM   #20

JimC wrote:
Quote:
dnas wrote:
Quote:
.....although I understand that it's relatively simple to modify the old Rokkors so that they mount on a 4/3's body without an adapter.

hi Jim, hot enuf your you?.

i believe your thinking of hexanon ar's that mount with a easy mod. cardboard & bubblegum i think without an adapter, rokkors require bayonet replacement.