Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:05 AM   #31

this is not about lens parameters, its about equivalency.

cropping is irrelevant.

heres the difference. take a 50mm lens on a ff camera and frame a shot. then take the same 50mm lens on a 4/3 camera & frame the identical shot. what do you have to do to accomplish this? what effect does this have on dof?

gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:57 AM   #32

You've been talking about depth of field, and, ok, DOF is inversely proportional to format size...

However, all along, I've been talking about the light that is gathered by the lens. No matter what the format is, the lens itself is still 50mm F1.2
Whether that same lens is used with a FF or a 4/3 sensor, the camera & sensor is calibrated to the same standard ISO. This means that for a 50mm F1.2 lens, if the images from each camera are compared, the centre portion of each image will be the same brightness.

gwillys wrote:
Quote:
this is not about lens parameters, its about equivalency.

cropping is irrelevant.

heres the difference. take a 50mm lens on a ff camera and frame a shot. then take the same 50mm lens on a 4/3 camera & frame the identical shot. what do you have to do to accomplish this? what effect does this have on dof?
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 9:26 AM   #33

so? do you think you've made some kind of ground breaking discovery? im beginning to think you just like to argue
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:11 AM   #34

I said it was like having a "160-400mm F2.8", and you said that was wrong, it was actually like having a "160-400 F5.6". I talked about the amount light gathered and how the camera is calibrated to ISO, with respect to the lens focal ratio. I also said I was refering to F-stop not DOF.

You argued that I was wrong, and I was explaining my reasoning. In your saying "so? do you think you've made some kind of ground breaking discovery?", are you now saying I was right all along? If I believe that the actual F-stop doesn't change, and that the camera ISO calibtation will recognize it as F1.2 so far as light gathering is concerned, then shouldn't I have a right to defend that, if I think it is right? Surely that's not arguing just to argue??

Anyway, have a nice day

gwillys wrote:
Quote:
so? do you think you've made some kind of ground breaking discovery? im beginning to think you just like to argue
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 3:38 PM   #35

ok, thanks. post some pics when you can. im looking forward to seeingsome killer shots at 400mm f2.8 &100mm f1.4 with $105 worth of glass.

Old Aug 5, 2008, 5:29 PM   #36

Hi G,

When I started reading the last few posts, I had to check wether I had stumbled onto DPReviews' Oly SLR forum by mistake.

Anyways,...... I really like the image you just posted. Its a really nice shot of a very pretty young lady. The quality, to me, reminds me of film. Looks like she had an accident recently and pinched her fingers.

What lens did you use?

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 6:46 PM   #37

hi Zig. lol, i know what you mean aboutthe thread. thats a well worn fingernail polish job,shotwith my trusty old c8080. still holds up pretty well. shame i dont use it more i think of selling it, but its kind of a classic, to me anyways.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:01 PM   #38

Hi G,

Up until a week ago I owned an Oly C-5060WZ. I had loaned it to a friend who had an old 35mm slr and had never used a digicam. She fell in love with it and the whole digital concept. So, I sold it. Didn't get what it was worth (to me anyways) but it now has a home where it will get a lot of use............ I still have mixed feelings about it. Keep your C-8080, it's a classic.

And thanks for posting that photgraph. It reminds me that my grandaughter and grandson are coming down for a week starting this weekend. Gotta remember to take some pics 'cause they grow up way too fast.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:49 PM   #39

Hey now, that is a great picture of a very pretty little girl. I've seen a lot of pictures that were taken with a C-8080 but I've never seen the camera except in photos. I have a C-7070 that does not get used a lot but it is not leaving my posession.

Thanks 'G' for sharing, and hi Zig...........
____
boBB

........here is one from my C-7070 from a safari to Cabela's one Sunday afternoon. This is the camera I use for my WIDE ANGLE stuff. I don't have any DSLR widee's yet, but I'm still reading this thread trying to get a grasp on the dissertation going on.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:50 PM   #40

Hi G

Thats a cracker of a pic - great DOF and tack sharp too - so the next question is what lens did you use for that shot ?

Cheers

harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote