Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:26 PM   #11

Huh, I find that ultra-retarded and will think twice next time I have to choose a store.

SwampNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 5:16 PM   #12

tkurkowski wrote:
BTW Zig, were you surprised the first time you tried to place an order on the B&H web site between sundown on a Friday and the nextsundown on Saturday, and the order was blocked?

I sure was, and it took me a while to figure out that the owners of B&H (Herman Schreiber and his wife, Blimie - B&H) andmany of the store's employees are observant Satmar Hasidic Jews who close the store in observance ofShabbat and Jewish holidays. I was amazed at first because web-site orders do not involve actions by human beings but I do respect anyone who focuses that strongly on their spiritual path.

Ted

Hi Ted,

Yes, quite frankly, itwas a bit of asurprise tome-simply because you just don't see that anymore. I for one, think it refreshing to see a company whose management, places more importance on their faith (andrespect for thefaith of their employees) than getting the "almighty dollar".

regards,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 5:32 PM   #13

SwampNut wrote:
Quote:
Huh, I find that ultra-retarded and will think twice next time I have to choose a store.
I assume you realize that that tells us way more about you than about B&H.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:49 PM   #14

......well said Ted & Zig!

I have found B&H to be a store I will someday buy from again. There are several stores with good online credentials, B&H being one of them and I have the Beach Trading stores (Beach Camera and BuyDig) also on my list of 'shoppers'.

I bought my 14-54 and 50-200 on the same order two years ago, the only thing I got was exactly what I wanted, the best price from a reliable store, quick and correct order process, appropriate shipping and merchandise received, absolutely no hassles.

Yesterday I ordered a 70-300 lens ($339)! I recv'd an instant (AUTO) customer service email 'thanks for the order' and 1 hour later two emails, one confirming the order with all pertinent info as well as a ship confirmation email with Fed Ex tracking number. On checking the tracking number the times were 1,2,3,4 on the way.

I personally find that shopping online is well worth the experience given that stores of solid reputation for customer/order service, competitive (not always the lowest) pricing, and merchandise available...are the choice.

Like Ted & Zig said.......... me too!

I won't say here what I really think of the 'think twice statement'. I don't like that it was posted.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 9:05 PM   #15

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
Yesterday I ordered a 70-300 lens ($339)! I recv'd an instant (AUTO) customer service email 'thanks for the order' and 1 hour later two emails, one confirming the order with all pertinent info as well as a ship confirmation email with Fed Ex tracking number. On checking the tracking number the times were 1,2,3,4 on the way.
Thanks for the response, and

Congrats on getting the 70-300mm! I hope you have as much fun with it as I'm having. Because of the longer focal length, it takes a bit of getting used to it, i.e. closest focusing distance is 39"and at low light it will tend to"hunt" a bit. Otherwise, it's a great lens.

But then, based on the images that you've been posting, I shouldn't be telling you "stuff" you already know.

I'd liketo get an EC-14 converter to use with the 70-300mm but everytime I'm ready to pull the trigger on it, Greg Chappell posts another series ofmacros using an EC-25. That just turns me in a different direction entirely.:?:?

I'll look forward to seeing some of your results.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:32 AM   #16

Hey guys-

I just found this post while doing a search for Zuiko rentals, and I wanted to let you know of a place online that does them:

http://prophotorental.com

Full disclosure: I am associated with the company, but want you to know that I'm here to answer any questions you have. I am *not* here to push anything or be a spammer.

Anyway, please let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or if we can help you guys out in any way. We are always amazed at the passionate response we get from the "Olympians" out there, and want to make sure we're doing everything we can to provide you with exactly what you need when you need it.

You can also e-mail us: [email protected]

Come have a look around if you're interested. If we don't carry something that you'd like to rent, shoot us an e-mail and we'll see what we can do about getting it for you.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Jared K.
ProPhotoRental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Post some pics using the 8mm, when you get a chance.
Posted below. This is a stunning piece of glass, please don't judge it by my first-attempt photos. It's a lot of fun to play with.

Jared, thanks for the info, it's not spam if you're answers what we asked for. I look forward to looking through your inventory. You're too late to save me from blowing the cash on the fisheye, but I'd like to try one of the high end telephotos.

SwampNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 5:22 AM   #18

There's a few companies in Canada, Henry's & Lenslenders but they ONLY deal with Canadian customers.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:19 AM   #19

I'm new to the board, but wanted to let you know that you can rent lenses from www.prophotrental.com . I've used them in the past and had great luck with them.

Now, I want everyone to know that I have no stake in the company and am not related to them in any way; just wanted Olympus owners know that there is someone out there that will let us try out lenses before dropping big money on buying!

Keith Edwards (Joker)
wildjokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:15 PM   #20

Hi All!

In the UK as far as I know there is no one providing Zukio glass on a rental basis, well none that I personally have found which is a real shame.

Regards B&H - well there rep is just top notch and you can;t really go wrong with them at all.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote