Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 3, 2008, 4:05 PM   #1

I'm a new E-510 user, and my searches for lenses to rent has been futile. Lots for the two major brands of course, but none for us. Is this a hopeless search? Anyone know of a place to rent Zuiko lenses?

SwampNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2008, 5:29 PM   #2

Hi,

I'm not aware of anyone that provides Oly lenses on a try b4 u buy or trial rental basis.

A few alternatives might be to look at the used departments at B&H Photo.com or Adorama.com or Shutterblade.com

All 3 sell used lenses at lower than average pricing.

Then there's always EBay and Craig's List.

good luck on your hunt.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:10 PM   #3

See now, there's a reason I don't even go look at the B&H site. But based on your recommendation, I went to look. And BAM! Here I sit with a nice 8mm fisheye and $700 less in my bank account. Damn you.

They also have both of the 40-150mm lenses in used stock. Hard to decide between the ED f4-5.6 or the standard f3.5-4.5. Any opinion?

Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:51 PM   #4

Hi,

Congrats on your purchase.

I've found that B&H Photo has always been a very competitive store. They also tend to have most everything in stock. A couple of good reasons to look there first when considering a new item. Additionally, I get the feel of what the actual "street price" is for a lens or body when I go on their site.

As for the 40-150mm, I have the new kit lens -the slower one.I find the IQ to be just fine. If I were in the market today though, I would definitely get the "older" lens.

First off, it is a bit faster- which is always a plus. More over, the pricing for the older lens has gotten to be downright dirt cheap. I alsotend to look at what's happening on EBay when I'm looking for a new/used lens,etc. Sometimes you can pick up a good lens for a great price. I've seen the 40-150mm F35 sell as low as 79bucks. Hard to refuse a deal like that. I would buy that lens without hesitation.

Post some pics using the 8mm, when you get a chance.

Zig

Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:19 PM   #5

Interesting and useful thoughts, thanks. The B&H price for the 40-150 ED is $199 and the non-ED is $149. Close enough to not care. Like you, I tend towards the faster lens because aperture is tangible and ED...well...seems like something that just gets you that last 0.5% quality improvement.

Rule: No photographer has ever said, "Gee I wish this lens didn't have such a huge aperture."

After the fisheye expense, I'm done with accessories other than maybe a lens in the under-$200 range. I'll post photos, definitely. We're spending the weekend on our boat so I'll have some interesting subject matter around the marina to shoot with it.

And I agree on B&H as a quality company, have used them for decades. I ordered it yesterday, had it today, at a good price and only $20-some dollars for overnight shipping.

Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:38 PM   #6

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I've found that B&H Photo has always been a very competitive store. They also tend to have most everything in stock. A couple of good reasons to look there first when considering a new item. Additionally, I get the feel of what the actual "street price" is for a lens or body when I go on their site.
Hi, Zig

I don't think they're all that "competitive", in the sense that their prices tend to be the retail price. But the reason for that is that (as you said) they carry a huge inventory in stock and the overhead cost of that inventory is pretty high for a retail B&M store. And they are very professional, unlike most of the NYC mail-order. ooops e-commerce, houses. So I've purchased a lot (more than I care to admit) of photo equipmentfrom them over the years and with only one exception they've always delivered what I needed without a problem. As you know, go try to purchase a specialized filter from anywhere else and see if they have it in stock...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:55 PM   #7

I paid $675 for it, while retail is $799, so that's a decent discount. Local stores wanted retail and didn't stock it. And it's from a reliable source. Google showed prices as low as $640 but when I called the company advertising it they sounded fishy when I asked about stock and overnight delivery. They gave me no confidence, and for a 5% savings it wasn't worth it.

I picked up the 40-150 f3.5-4.5 on eBay for $95 shipped, that's a great deal for a lens that is so well-reviewed.

Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:20 PM   #8

Ted wrote

"Hi, Zig

I don't think they're all that "competitive", in the sense that their prices tend to be the retail price. But the reason for that is that (as you said) they carry a huge inventory in stock and the overhead cost of that inventory is pretty high for a retail B&M store. And they are very professional, unlike most of the NYC mail-order. ooops e-commerce, houses. So I've purchased a lot (more than I care to admit) of photo equipmentfrom them over the years and with only one exception they've always delivered what I needed without a problem. As you know, go try to purchase a specialized filter from anywhere else and see if they have it in stock...

Ted"

Hey Ted,

Thanks for your response....and thanks for helping to build a good case for why I think B&H is competitive.

Hmmmm, let me see now.

1,Pricing is near retail -but no higher

2, items most always in stock

3. proffessional staff

4. keep delivery promises.

5, have specialized accessories that few others offer.

Yep, sounds competitive to me. (grin)

Hope all is well

Zig

Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:21 PM   #9

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your response....and thanks for helping to build a good case for why I think B&H is competitive.
OK - glad to help (grin)

I was thinking that "competitive" meant lower prices with good service. But you're right that the vendors that advertise lower prices on DSLR lenses and equipment areusually just BS'ing customers. B&H deals sraight with customers.

Ted
Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:21 PM   #10

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
BTW Zig, were you surprised the first time you tried to place an order on the B&H web site between sundown on a Friday and the nextsundown on Saturday, and the order was blocked?

I sure was, and it took me a while to figure out that the owners of B&H (Herman Schreiber and his wife, Blimie - B&H) andmany of the store's employees are observant Satmar Hasidic Jews who close the store in observance ofShabbat and Jewish holidays. I was amazed at first because web-site orders do not involve actions by human beings but I do respect anyone who focuses that strongly on their spiritual path.

Ted