Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:47 PM   #21

Hi Guys,

I'm enjoying this post. Lotsa good info....Thought you might be interested in this as a possibility:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLYMPUS-OM-AUTO-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is a bellows for an Olympus OM slr camera. The reason I thought it might be of interest is that it has pretty much all you need to get started except an OM adapter which you can get for about 10-15bucks on EBay. No machining would be req'd (as far as I know). You can them mount OM legacy lenses to it which are also available for relatively short money.

Just a thought.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:49 PM   #22

Hey G,

BTW, that Tokina is really a nice lens.

Zig
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:21 PM   #23

it sure is. i picked up the kit - lens, 1:1 adapter & case - like new, for under $200 a few years ago. seems to be hard to find these days. i guess people are hanging on to them. its forerunner, series 1 90 macro, seems available & pretty inexpensive.

http://www.photodo.com/product_486_p4.html

heres another shot at the vivitar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vivitar-90mm-F2-...QQcmdZViewItem
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:38 PM   #24

what do Photodo's MTF values mean?

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/bes...lensbrand.html

the 4.6 rating of the tokina atx 90 2.5 is simply remarkable. keep in mind the legendary & expensive zuiko 90mm F2.0 Macro, has a rating of MTF 4.2.

Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:26 PM   #25

gwillys wrote:
Quote:
it sure is. i picked up the kit - lens, 1:1 adapter & case - like new, for under $200 a few years ago. seems to be hard to find these days. i guess people are hanging on to them.
I guess they are!Ever since you originally posted those photos, a while back, I added the tokina to my short list of lenses that I regularly search for on EBay. I have yet to find one available there or on Craig's List.

Thanks for the heads up on the Vivitar Series 1. I may just see howmuch activity there is for that lens.

Zig

Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:27 PM   #26

I am going to hold off on the bellows idea at this stage.....I am thinking I need to at least settle on a dedicated macro lens and built from there. I am gunning for that Vivitar Series 1.....24 hours left of bidding with me luck

Oh yeah two more from the cheap glass I picked up last week

signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 1:39 PM   #27

smart move, using a bellows is a pain & very goal oriented. a good 90 macro is much more useful. judging from your pics, you'll do great with a decent lens. btw, expect (or become) a sniper in the last few seconds.

check this: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15770296

*that seller states that its 1:1, but its 1:2 without the adapter, which is not included. not to worry as its 1:1 equiv on 4/3 anyway. if you got the 1:1 adapter for that lens, you'd get 2:1 equiv

heres an old shot from my tokina. nothing special, all i have upped right now. a dogwood blossom.

Old Jun 18, 2008, 4:21 PM   #28

Talking about the Series 1 that I am bidding on....contrastly to the ZD 35mm f3.5 macro which is hovering below 190s abround....would the Series 1 be a better choice if bidding gets high? I think the first one you posted went for 150s

Old Jun 18, 2008, 4:36 PM   #29

the 90mm 2.5 is much more useful. you have some working distance, which allows for better light, creature calmness, etc. it has beautiful bokeh & makes a great portrait lens. the other one went for 118.00 - a cold stone bargain. i cant think of any way the zd35 would be better.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 5:01 PM   #30

I kinda like manual focusing lenses....I mean having ZD lenses are cool but I find myself hating auto focus because it has messed up more shots than I can account for.

Hopefully this Series 1 will be around the same price or lower.