Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 3, 2008, 9:56 PM   #1

Hey guys,

I am a new guy and I have been slowly reading a lot of the threads here getting good info and such. I do have some questions though.

I am new to photography and its slowly becoming a great hobby for me. By far my favorite types of shots are Macros. Here is one of my first macro shots and it came out great!
stock 40-150mm

Now I want to get a bit more closer to my subject so I started to research the best and most cost effective equpiment. I have found so far things like

Macro Lens Caps <---- these things are stackable, looks crappy do they work well?
Extensions (ex-25)
Auto Extensions
and other various equpiment.

What do you all suggest? Yes budgeting is an issue currently but looking to go 300mm in the near future.
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:35 PM   #2

The screw in closeup lenses are probably the cheapest way to go. The EX25 extension tube gets you really close without adding extra glass to the process like the closeup lenses and it works great. At the 40mm end of your 40-150, you can almost touch the subject with the EX25 fittedand be in focus.

By the time you zoom out to 150mm, you still canstill focus very close but have amuch better/longerworking distance to keep subjects like bugs from moving away by staying out of their "comfort zone". The 70-300 Zuiko with the EX25 and zoomed out to 250-300mmis outstanding for doingshots like that...

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:05 AM   #3

good morning,

In addition to equipment , lighting is also important as is how to set up your shot. Olympus has a Photo tutorial website with a lot of good information on various aspects of photography-includedare acouple on shootingmacro.

http://www.olympusdigitalschool.com/...phy/index.html

good luck

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:51 AM   #4

you might get a macro lens like sigma 105 or 150.

or get one of these & a adaptor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=010
it will give 2:1 equiv on 4/3 &its a nice portrait/all purpose lens. sharp, very good contrast & nice bokeh. plus its cheap. made by komine.

e1/komine 55mm 2.8 macro

....also check out the old 90 macros
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:54 PM   #5

How does the manual focus lenses work on a dSLR? I am assuming it will work like normal but without autofocus and some other digital settings? I have seen several OM lenses on Ebay for under $25 and OM adaps are also cheap.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:27 PM   #6

Hi,

The Olympus OM series of lenses, as do lenses from other manufacturers work quite well on the Olympus DSLRs. As you pointed out, you'll need the appropriate adapter and the camera will not work in Program or Auto mode- it will not auto focus.

You can use live view to fine tune your focus on a static subject. youcan also use IS with the E-510, 520, 410, 420, or E-3 camera

One thing to keep in mind, the Zuiko digital lenses were designed from the ground up to work the E-series DSLRs. Some of the older OM lenses will work quite well and give outstanding results. Typically, these will be the macro lenses i.e. 90mm macro. Some will give you a soft image. The zoom lenses35-70, 75mm-150mmtypically do not do as well.

To get a real good handle on what you should consider prior to jumping in and buying a bunch of lenses that may or may not suit your purposes, take a few minutes to read:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/any-lens.html

Good luck

Zig
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:34 PM   #7

By the way,

Don't overlook the Konica Hexanon AR lenses as well as the Rokkor MDlenses made for the Konica Minolta 35mm cameras. You can pick up some outstanding glass for short money

I have and use: Konica Hexanon 50mm F1.7

OM 135mm F3.5

OM 50mm F1.7

OM 2XA teleconverter

Gwilleycan no doubt, tell you about all the wonderful Rokkor lenses that he uses.

Zig

Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:04 AM   #8

this would be a good way to start:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-by-Vivit...QQcmdZViewItem

gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 8:01 PM   #9

What you guys thing about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=002

FYI

i picked up a Rokunar 2x teleconverter and a JC Penny 80-200mm today from a craigslist sale for 20 bucks. Both in great condition. Not a bad haul.

Old Jun 10, 2008, 8:18 PM   #10

You would need to then buy the OM to E converter ring in order to use that 50mm Zuiko on your camera. Should work fine at that point.

The JC Penney lens is a typical third-party lens from that period (I'd guess 1980's), meaning sub-standard compared to almost anything made today. The 2x converter is going to do two things, and both are bad...

1. The image quality is going to go way downhill compared to the probablyalready mediocre quality of the lens by itself.

2. The screen is going to go VERY dark due to the two-stop loss of light, making manual focus very hard.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote