Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:12 PM   #11

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Oly makes great lenses but they're not likely to focus on the fast fixed-focal-length, traditional photographerlensmarket that Leica would address.

Ted

This is probably as much a result of what the market wants as whatOlympus wants to build. The old OM system had some outstanding fast prime glass. The problem today is,relatively fewwant primes.I owned a Canon DSLR system for a couple of years with access to any type lens a person could want, but mainly used a 10D, with 17-40 f4 and 100-400 L-series lenses. I also bought the 50mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 for when I thought I'd need them....I never used them. Wound up selling both with, I would guess, fewer than 100 clicks of the shutter with either mounted. If Olympus offered an entire setup of primes today, most likely I would not own one. I don't find myself looking or hopingfor primes, but I am VERY interested in seeing the performance of he 9-18 Zuiko coming out in the Fall.

If Panasonic ever made a Leica badged fast prime for the E-mount that was alonger focal lengththan the 25mm f1.4.....I don't even wanna know the price, 'cause I know I wouldneverbe able toafford it, andit would probably sell inas many units as Olympus has sold of the 300mm f2.8 at over $5,000US each....not too many.

What is possible for me to aspire to today....at least be able to afford at some point, would be the 35-100 f2, which is as fast as I ever would need....and again, a zoom.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 5:39 AM   #12

Hi G

Wow! Thats some news and I'm hoping it doesn;t turn out to be correct. Personally when PanaLeica joined up for 4/3 it was a shot in the arm for the whole system. Its a shame if they bowed out right now esp as there's some nice momentum building since the new batch of cameras have been released. The mistake that they made with the L10 - small OVF and not selling it as a body only option. I can see the L10 would have sold well if it was available without the kit lens.

Regards the lenses, from some of the posts over at dp it looks as if the 14-150 is the 10x zoom lens to have for any system with IQ - esp sharpness nearly as good as the 12-60, it has better contrast than the 12-60, with some distortion at the wide end and CA at the tele but from all accounts of people that have the lens its a real cracker, especially if you can live with F3.5-5.6. We all know that the 25mm f1.4 and the 14-50 are seriously good pieces of glass.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=28181795

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=28016730

I'm off to a shoot but I'm hoping, that its bit of misinformation.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 7:54 AM   #13

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
This is probably as much a result of what the market wants as whatOlympus wants to build. The old OM system had some outstanding fast prime glass. The problem today is,relatively fewwant primes.

What is possible for me to aspire to today....at least be able to afford at some point, would be the 35-100 f2, which is as fast as I ever would need....and again, a zoom.
Hi, Greg

I think you're right. Years ago zoom lenses were not as optically good as primes, and were much slower. Nowadays zooms are excellent and can get as fast as f/2 (if you can afford it). So who wouldn't rather have a zoom?

The 35-100 f/2 is a great lens. Along with the performance of the E3 at ISO800, it lets me shoot available light atEV 5 or 6. I was never able to do that with film - way too much grain.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:13 AM   #14

over @ dpr, this is getting pretty funny. insane, wild speculation by people who have no idea what they're talking about. now oly should break into medium format...huh? boggles the mind, lol

what really gets me are the self proclaimed experts, who know the buzzwords, study mtf charts, make all sorts ofproclamations about gear they've never even seen, but could'nt photograph thier way out of a hat. you read a few of someones posts and they seem coherent, but then they post pics & the truth is revealed. clueless, lol. mostly regurgitating stuff they read somewhere and making ill informed deductions.

im no expert, just an old hack, but i work at being familiar with my gear and i work at getting the result i want. whats keeping me tied to oly are my 40 or so mostly old manual assorted mount lenses that no other single system can mount. i enjoy utilizing the different characteristics, knowing the strong points, to make a picture which i've envisioned, well sort of, lol. so im not a great photographer. my main excuse is subject matter. not much interesting (in my mind) to shoot around here. and im lazy. i used to go out on task oriented missions, but have a hard time getting away these days.

btw, i tried the hdr function in PhotoAcute. subtle & effective. much more natural looking result than photomatrix.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:00 AM   #15

.........hey G!

IMO your posts regarding legacy lens usage and associated 'pics' are something I wait for with anxiousness and enjoyment.

I am not particularly lazy but I loaf a lot and it is really hot in this part of Texas so I leave the out&bout to Greg C in Dallas.

So with not much interesting and handy to you, how about some more goats & 'pillars stuff. You must have some of those handy.

I do enjoy your posts..........
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:06 PM   #16

hey folks
yeah bit of a bummer, im thinking theyre buying into APSC format
can you say Penasonic ?

4/3rds sensors, best case is if Panasonic keep making them, not Sony or Kodak i hope, pray for the Fuji and a slight size increase

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:56 PM   #17

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Regards the lenses, from some of the posts over at dp it looks as if the 14-150 is the 10x zoom lens to have for any system with IQ
But it seems to be another mythical Leica 4/3 lens, in that you can't actually purchase one.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 3:43 PM   #18

Hi Guys

Just returned from a very tough outdoor shoot - and while out on the shoot I was thinking about how accurate this "rumour" is. Now my own thoughts are this:

* PanaLeica may have decided that for their next pro cam they would work together on the next R mount DSLR. With PAna providing a new 3:2 sized sensor, although I think Kodak did a superb job with the M8's 1.3x sensor. May be with Pana's dev. work with the sensors that they decided that for very high MP sensor'd camera to go and help develop a new 1.3x for Leica. They would then produce their own version of the R10.

* PAnaleica continues to make 4/3 DSLR's, lenses and sensors but decide not on a pro version, although they may decide on the opposite - no more L10 featured consumer cams but concenrate on producing an E3/D300+ ranged SLR. Looking at the L10's sensor - its a very good one (a better sensor than the E3's) and in terms of IQ is as good as or better than the current batch of APS-C's so I don't see why when they have managed to do a lot of good work on the sensors and lens dev. to just pull out entirely.

* 14-150 - looks like availability in the US is much better than the UK/Europe. The guys that have managed to obtain copies in the UK have either ordered directly from Pana or via the US. So copies are available - you just need to get them from BH, Adorama (pre-order) or direct from Pana. A real shame if they stopped lens dev as they have produced the best walk about lens of any system which is nealry as good as the 12-60ZD in terms of IQ, esp when considering all the comprosing that goes into a 10x zoom and its not that much more expensive as the ZD too.

Ok, i need to rest up - fashion work on location is just way too hard work!

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 3:54 PM   #19

well thanks Bob

interesting Harj. now have some tea (scotch) & take a nap, lol.

re: lenses
they're out there if you want them bad enough. @ ebay out of japan. brand new, but warranted in japan. around 950usd for the 25, 1350 for the 14-150. ems shipping to the states is very fast. Kameras Store & Matsuiyastore i've dealt with. great service.

http://stores.ebay.com/Matsuiyastore...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/kamera...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ

gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:52 PM   #20

I'm not at all concerned at this point about the Panasonic coworker "statement". First of all it was made by someone not from the head office, but from someone in a territorial office; the territorial offices don't usually know what's going on, especially since it's a "coworker" and not an executive employee who made the "statement".

Second, it may not have even been a Panasonic employee, it could have been someone from another company playing espionage planting a story (and yes, I have seen it happen). Until I see a PRESS RELEASE FROM MATSUSHITA I'm not giving it a thought, and not worth commenting about it.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote