Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 7, 2008, 6:44 AM   #1

http://diefotoredaktion.de/nachricht...-von-panasonic

Babelfish Translation

hope its not true...
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:18 AM   #2

Hi G,

Thanks for the heads up.

It would be dissappointing to learn that Panasonic is dropping the FourThirds line of DSLR cameras simply because, as a consumer, I think it's always better to have more choices thus more competition-meaning lower prices, more lens choices, etc.. But I can't help but think that Panasonic made a tactical error when it released the L10 DSLR at around $1300US. Compare that to an E-510 with the 2"kit" lenses at around $600. I realize that the Panny 14-50 is a great lens. But compare the feature set and performance of the L10 vs the E-510 and, to me, it's a no brainer.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:34 AM   #3

If panasonic stop production for the 4/3 then it surly will be a sad day. I hope they reconsider as the 4/3 still has a lot of advantages. Also most consumers coming from compact may still want a small slr set up and olympus and panasonic have this market to them selfs. Ok it might be nich but it is still there. Olympusis defnetly on the up as it surley gives the competition challenges. You cant beat the sswf system and olympus life view is still one of the best out there and there lenses you cant beat it, look at can/nikk if you say buy there 70-200mm f2.8 you either get advantage on c-mos size sensor or full frame you can't have the best of both worlds. Where olympus bye going down the 4/3 sensor path they don't need to produce 2 sets of lenses. I think when more amatures understand this when they go into buy an slr then they might not be so quick to jump on the can/nikk band wagon. Knowledge of these things need to get into the basic starting point for a person to consider before buying into a sytem.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 8:05 AM   #4

panasonic hasnt come out with a camera i would buy, mainly because of the ovf. but it would be a shame to lose leica's involvement. at least i have my 25 1.4.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:46 AM   #5

gwillys wrote:
Quote:
panasonic hasnt come out with a camera i would buy, mainly because of the ovf. but it would be a shame to lose leica's involvement. at least i have my 25 1.4.
Yeah - I tried the L1 but the OVF was pretty dark. Plus, I hate to admit it but I do want my DSLRs to look like an SLR not a rangefinder (grin).

The Leica 25mm f/1.4 is indeed a great lens. But I'd also say that anyone with a non-IS Oly (like the E-500) who wants IS, should seriously consider getting the Leica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5. Although the Oly 12-60mm has some advantages over the Leica, with the Leica you get in-lens IS which is worth the extra $100USD if you want IS. It's a perfect all-around IS lens for the E-500. (And somereviews of the Oly 12-60 indicate that at the 12mm end you get some distortion so I'm not sure that extra bit of wide-angle reach is an important difference between the two lenses.)

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:32 PM   #6

gwillys wrote:
Quote:

hope its not true...
To be honest, if it turns out to be true, there's little lost here.

Panasonic gave, at best, ahalf-hearted 4/3rd's effort anyway. The 100-200 people who really want one and were willing to pay the pricehave bought the nicer lenses likethe 25mm f1.4, but the twoDSLR's were both overpriced and underwhelmingcompared to their competition....I'd never pick one of them over the Olympus offerings and most others didn't either. It took huge price drops to unload the L1's that did eventually sell.The number of posts in this site's Panasonic DSLR "forum" equal about 10 days worth of posts on the Canon DSLR forum.....actually, in looking at the number of original posts on the Panasonic DSLR site (70), that may be only2-4 days worth of newposts, andmany ofthe postsare about Panasonic digicams, not DSLR's....it's a total joke and should be deleted.

As far as sensors go, this in no way would keepPanasonic from still providing sensors much in the same way Sony provides sensors to many of their direct competitors, and Olympus could always go find themselves a better option, like maybe Kodak or even Fuji.

There's little in this "news" for anyone interested in Olympus DSLR's to concern themselves about.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 2:04 PM   #7

well, for half the price, the L10 has fc for manual lenses and makes better raw filesthan a e3. i was hoping for a new panny with a decent viewfinder, so its
disappointing, but i'll live. next photokina should be interesting.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 4:30 PM   #8

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
gwillys wrote:
many ofthe postsare about Panasonic digicams, not DSLR's
Same with the Panasonic forum on DPreview. I really think that Panasonic is doing just fine with their non-DSLR cams - the quality of the Leica lenses on them have created a huge following and I really think that Panasonic is feeling their sales are good enough without DSLRs. Frankly I would be very surprised if they create any more DSLRs.

Unfortunately that probably means that the 4/3 format will lose the possibility of future Leica lenses and as Gwillys said, that would be a shame.

Ted
Old Jun 7, 2008, 5:01 PM   #9

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately that probably means that the 4/3 format will lose the possibility of future Leica lenses and as Gwillys said, that would be a shame.

Ted
Agreed.....

I wouldn't go off selling your 14-50mm leica anytime soon.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 5:27 PM   #10

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Agreed.....

I wouldn't go off selling your 14-50mm leica anytime soon.

Zig
Hi, Zig

Leica views themselves asan optical company not a camera company - they manufacture cameras in order to sell lenses.Many of us have been counting on Leica to make the traditionalfast fixed-focal-length lenses (in the 4/3 format) that traditional photographers use. The comments above thatPanasonic leaving the 4/3 format is not an issue for cameras, is true. But Leica leaving the 4/3 format for lenses is a big loss. Oly makes great lenses but they're not likely to focus on the fast fixed-focal-length, traditional photographerlensmarket that Leica would address.

Ted