Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 11, 2008, 1:56 PM   #1

I am a dog breeder and want to take stunning shots of my dogs that will show them in their best light. The dogs are always moving so I would like to take shots in the continuous mode while at the same time blurring the background. How should I setup the camera to accomplish this? Can I pre-program the mode dial for this?

I might mention that I have the 510 with the two lens kit.

I am including a shot that demonstrates what I hope to accomplish. Your help is appreciated.

Attached Images

Mr Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2008, 2:40 PM   #2

Funny thing about blurring...it's easy to do when you DON'T want it and hard to do when you DO want it.

In the photo you posted, the soft background is the result of shallow depth of field as opposed to motion blur. That kind of blur is most easily accomplished with a long lens and a large aperature. You would best try the 40-150 kit lens, set your camera for Aperature Priority ("A" on the big dial) and use the widest F stop possible without blurring the dogs themselves. That will take some experimentation.

Anytime you are tracking the subject with a panning motion, use the Image Stabilization at IS2 only.

In short, try:

The 40-150 lens at a fairly long focal length

Set the camera to "A" aperature priority

Image Stabilization to IS2 if you're panning...you can try IS1 otherwise

Start at a large aperature...try F4 and work your way down if that blurs the main subject.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:57 PM   #3

Brent Thank You. I set the camera up to your instructions and was able to feel like I was on the right track. Now I have to determine if I should shoot in RAW?

Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:13 PM   #4

RAW is a matter of preference.

Some guys wouldn't dream of shooting anything but RAW.

Personally, I shoot RAW if I'm doing something "formal" or something special and I'm motivated to take the time to process the pictures. But if I'm going to shoot a 150 shots at a weekend show n' shine car show at the park, I'll usually do jpegs.

Of course, you have the option with the E-510 (as with the other Oly DSLRs) of shooting RAW+JPEG so that you get one of each. That would seem like a good experiment at this point. RAW has more potential, but if you're not experienced with RAW processing, it may be frustrating and slow. RAW+JPEG will make sure you're covered.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:20 AM   #5

Yep agree with Brent ... I'd shoot RAW and Jpeg and use RAW for the files that may be over/underexposed or where the WB is completely out, esp for starting off.

HArjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:50 AM   #6

Looks like you got the right guys with the right answers.

Here's a simple but effective interactive lesson on speed vs DOF that's worth looking at: http://www.photonhead.com/simcam/shutteraperture.php

Let's see some shots as you get more used to the camera.

Ken
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:06 PM   #7

Brent, again thank you for the advice. Yes, I am not experience with Raw files and will have to locate a good tutorial to help me.

Harjtt, Thanks for the help. Not sure what the potential is or isn't for enhancing the image. From what you indicate, I suppose I will have to shoot a few to make a determination.

Scouse, That link helped me out tremendously. Great for a beginner such as myself.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:34 PM   #8

WOW thanks for the link Scouse!! That really helps me out.
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote