Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 13, 2008, 3:56 PM   #1

I got asked at the last minute by some student fashion designer friends of mine to help them out by taking pictures of the outfits that they had designed and manufactured. They had just found out that all of the other project teams had hired or got semi-pro photographers to shoot their outfits.

Location was in the City of London (I had to get a permit to shoot on this specific location and that was a mission in itself ) and was only given 90 mins for the shoot. Three models kindly helped out to model 8 outfits. Used a large 32" plus reflector and FL50 on a light stand + shoot thro brolley. This was probably the hardest shoot to date - with 8 outfits and 3 models crammed into just 90mins and first time using the storbist setup in the street. Lots of thanks to Karis, Magda and Gemma (models), Anika and Alex (designers) and Jakki (MUA).

1. The girls and outfits

2. Karis

3. Magda

4. Gemma

One thing I did notice shooting with the 35-100f2 on location not all the pics taken with it are as sharp as I;d hoped. In the studio 90% are just spot on but not so during this shoot. I think it was my technique more than anything and having to rush a lot more than I would have liked to which probably causing the not so sharp pics.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2008, 5:11 PM   #2

Hi, Harj

It's hard to tell that they're not sharp from those images - they look very good. And especially good since (I assume) you were dealing with the available lighting for the most part. I like them.

Ted

PS: but my wife is still never gonna be OK with me doing model photography...
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:12 PM   #3

Hi Ted

These ones are sharp - actually as sharp as I've seen when shooting in studio but there's a large number of others that are not. Having to rush the shoot - cram 8 outfits into one single shoot into a 90 min window I know didn;t help. I'll post some 100% crops of the soft images - they look good and I'm assuming will print good as well but theyre defintely soft.

I've been very suprised myself with what we managed to get - really helped by the girls, the location is just really superb (so lucky that the private estate let us shoot there) and finally I got a lot of help from the designers themselves who became my assistants. Regards the Fl50 - I'm really impressed with how many knocks it can take and still carry on working - it went flying 3 times during the 90's hitting concrete on each occasion (it was quiet windy last Sunday and the brolley just acted like a sail.

Model Fashion photography - if you asked me 4-5 months ago I would have laughed but I'm enjoying it, although it tough work. It's made me really think about what to shoot and how, the right location, etc. If you can get the otherhalf to agree - then go for it!

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:04 PM   #4

Hi HarjTT

For being a tough shoot you done very well, thrown into the deep end and still come out ok. Very fast way to learn lol.

1st shoot my fav.

I know it might go against your grain but I'm starting to shoot a lot with continuies focas instead of centre focus, as I'm starting to find I get more hits with focus. with 12-60mm & 50-200mm. when subject moving or stuck for time and you need to grap shots. I don't know how well the 35-100 does in this or weather it hunts more when it loses focus ?.

keep posting those shoots asI look forward to seeing what you have been doing. cheers
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:42 AM   #5

me likes
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:10 PM   #6

Boy, what gorgeous ladies....and great imges, Harj. I'm afraid I'd be just "a little" intimidated trying something like that....at least, I certainly wouldthe first time, and the time limit certainly wouldn't help matters, but you did extremely well. Congratulations...that type work can only get easier as you do it, especially with the glass you are using!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:31 PM   #7

Hi Greg, Brian and Solider!

Thanks for the comments on the pics as they do mean a lot and boy were they georgous. Can;t be easy for them either - the number of cat calls etc they got as we walked to the location was pretty silly.

I was really worried about this shoot esp with how to get the right balance with the lighting and had to explain to the girls that if the pics were messed up that it was all down to my first attempt! It does really help to have models that are experienced as they can do all the poses with the minimum amount of direction from me - thats something I do really need to work on.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:28 PM   #8

.........hi Harj,

Al I can say about these is, "oh my goodness, but they (the models & photos of them) are beautiful, well done".

But, I do have to stick to 'non models' photography (for the heart condition doncha know) so it is back to a baseball tourney for me with the heat, harsh light, no shade, dust, and a couple bottles of ice water.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 5:41 PM   #9

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Model Fashion photography - if you asked me 4-5 months ago I would have laughed but I'm enjoying it, although it tough work. It's made me really think about what to shoot and how, the right location, etc. If you can get the otherhalf to agree - then go for it!

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

I agree wholeheartedly. It's so much harder then photographing landscapes, or architecture for example. With those things you have as long as you'd like really to setup your shot figure the angles etc and don't have to worry. With people, you sometimes have to really be on the ball and ready to get that perfect shot when they hit just the right look you want. The closest thing I can compare it to would wildlife photography.

And it's 100% way easier working with models who have done this type of thing before. You can really tell too, the ones that can hold a pose, and then as soon as they hear the shutter just automatically change the pose slightly each time. A trick I've found that really helps with those that are a little more inexperienced is to have them tell you a story about themselves. This puts them through a variety of looks and sometimes emotions that you can really try to capture.
Rileigh is offline   Reply With Quote