Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 14, 2008, 9:48 AM   #11

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Scouse wrote:
Quote:
I had no idea it was so involved.

I thought you just stuck them all together... in the right order....and shot brilliant photos. Just like what you show in these threads.

Ken
Thanks, Ken!

Once you know what's going on and get an idea of the longest distance you can shoot from,this particular tubeis easyto use... you just have to use it because it's definitely a different experience from shooting with the lens in the normal range. The hardest thing to get used to is the relatively thin (but adequate)depth of focusat any focal length, which is why zooming is the fastest way to get within the range from where you are standing, or just set it somewhere and move inor out until you get there.

It's amazing how close you can get. I would guess the majority of the images I've posted here were shot in the 160-300mm range of that lens, and it gives you a great working distance of a few to severalfeet, which, if you are shooting bugs or such, keeps you outside their "zone of comfort", meaning they are less likely to fly or crawlaway when you are shooting.
Actually I'd been feeling a little inspired from seeing your shots and had been looking up prices for the tube (about $115 here) This thread has helped withsome nice workinginfo.

Thanks Ken

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 11:00 AM   #12

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
I had no idea, like Ken, that this addon with the hole in it is actually as complex in its usage as it now seems
Add-on with a hole in it? Jeez, Bob, it does have pass-through electrical contacts to allow the lens to talk to the camera. Oly wouldn't charge $120USD just for a tube with a hole in it, would they? (grin)

Actually, I plan to find out today or tomorrow (depending on when it rains) if its mounts can adequately hold a ZD 50-200 onto an E3,neither of which are light-weight. If so, the price may be reasonable. Maybe.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 11:09 AM   #13

...............again, Greg has done the combo with the 50-200 with, of course, his 'SUPER' good results.

Have you ever looked at Greg's online smugmug site? If not, I invite you to do so, it will give one insight to Greg's photography skills.

I get no commission from admission fees to the site.... per Greg, hi hi!

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:29 PM   #14

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I plan to find out today or tomorrow (depending on when it rains) if its mounts can adequately hold a ZD 50-200 onto an E3,neither of which are light-weight. If so, the price may be reasonable. Maybe.

Ted
You'll like that combination Ted. I was using my E1 with the original 50-200 and the EX25 to take these amaryllis plants we received for Christmas at the office..

and does just as well outdoors..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:34 PM   #15

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:

I get no commission from admission fees to the site.... per Greg, hi hi!

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/
Maybe not, but I certainly feel like I now owe you one! Too, too kind. Thank you.

Some day we need to plan an outting over at the zoo or Botanical Gardens....of even a baseball game...maybe see if there are any other local Olympus guys and make a day of it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:52 PM   #16

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Some day we need to plan an outting over at the zoo or Botanical Gardens....of even a baseball game...maybe see if there are any other local Olympus guys and make a day of it.
That sounds like a good reason to go to Texas. (Was that tactful? (wide grin))

Ted
Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:42 PM   #17

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
You'll like that combination Ted.
Hi, Greg

You're right, as usual. The ZD 50-200 with the EX-25 is a good combination - thanks!

I took this shot, just to see how that combo worked (you can't hand-hold that combo - at least I can't and maintain focus.) I wasn't paying attention to composition or bokah, just seeing what happens. You've got me moving in the right direction.

Ted

Attached Images

Old Jun 14, 2008, 5:42 PM   #18

$120 and not a piece of glass near it.......Go to Home Depot and get them to thread a foot of 2'' gas pipe....:-)

There's an article in the latest Outdoor Photography on DOF with macro. Aparently there's a new software that lets you take multiple exposures focusing at differnt depths, then it puts them all together......Sounds like a lot of work to me.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote