Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:05 PM   #1

After several days of temperatures at 95ºF or above, there's not a lot to shoot here. So I've been doing some macro work with some wild strawberries in my yard. The photo below is of one of them (it's maybe 1 cm. wide), taken with a ZD 50mm f/2 and the EX-25 Extension Tube.

I'm fine with that photo but I took some others without the EX-25 and nothing seemed to be different. I.e. the distance away seemed to be about the same for the same size image.

Then, I put the EX-25 on the Leica 24mm f/1.4 and never could find a way to get it to focus.

So I'm thinking I don't really understand extension tubes (I've not used them before). Do they only work for longer focal-length lenses than 25mm or 50mm? What do I need to know to use the extension tube effectively?

Ted

Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:36 PM   #2

From what I remember, the focal length of the lens can't be less than mm than that of the extension tube...for instance using the 14-45mm you have to set the lens to at least 25mm or the lens can't focus. Your 24mm won't work because it's less than 25mm.

If we were talking OM you'd have more options, like 14mm and 7mm extension tubes.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:38 PM   #3

Hi Ted,

Don't have an EX-25 so don't know much about them. However, I did look on Fourthirds website and this is what I found

http://four-thirds.org/en/products/p...on_detail.html

The chart states that the Leica 14-50mm is not able to be used with it. Also, fine print states that MF only with 50mm f2 lens between specific distances.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:48 PM   #4

Ted,
...................thanks for asking about it.

Greg C. seems to be the guru around here, meaning Texas, with the EX-25 and has me maybe wanting one and I have no clue whether it is difficult to learn to use or if one just uses it while only hoping to get a photo somewhat close to the ones Greg shows us.
____
boBB

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:46 PM   #5

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
After several days of temperatures at 95ºF or above, there's not a lot to shoot here. So I've been doing some macro work with some wild strawberries in my yard. The photo below is of one of them (it's maybe 1 cm. wide), taken with a ZD 50mm f/2 and the EX-25 Extension Tube.

I'm fine with that photo but I took some others without the EX-25 and nothing seemed to be different. I.e. the distance away seemed to be about the same for the same size image.
Quote:
The 50mm f2 macro can get awfully close by itself. You really don't (and probably cannot)use the tube with that lens until you need to get closer than it can focus by itself. Try focusing as close to something with the 50mm f2 by itselfas you can, then mount the tube and see how much closer you can get.

Then, I put the EX-25 on the Leica 24mm f/1.4 and never could find a way to get it to focus.
Quote:
You should be able to use the EX25 down to around a35mm equivalent of 50mm, so it should be useable with a lens like the new25mm f2.8 Zuiko. Below that, the pointof being in focus in theory would fall somewhere inside the front element of the lens, especially a lens like the 21mm f1.4 Leica, so achieving focus is going to be impossible.
Quote:
I've tried it, just for kicks,with my 40-150mm f4-5.6 Zuiko. At the 40mm end of that zoom range, with the EX25 mounted, the distance between the front element of the lens and the subject is less than 2 inches, so it's getting to be a bit too much even at 40mm, At 21mm, you would not have a chance of getting anything in focus.

So I'm thinking I don't really understand extension tubes (I've not used them before). Do they only work for longer focal-length lenses than 25mm or 50mm? What do I need to know to use the extension tube effectively?
Quote:
Mount the tube and lens together. Then, before you actually focus, use the zoom ring to get the focus somewhat in the ballpark, or set the zoom to what you want to use and then move in or out until the image comes close to being in focus, then use the AF system to fine tune.
Quote:
The EX25 severly restricts two things...the range , ordepth offocus at any focal length, and you lose the ability to focus the lens at infinity. If you want to achieve the longest possible working distance from your subject, set the zoom to the longest focal length, then physically move the lens/camera in towards the subject until it starts to come into focus, then use the AF to fine tune. Once you know the maximum distance you can be away from the subject, as you zoom in towards the wider end, the maximum distance become progressively closer/shorter.

Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:13 PM   #6

I had no idea it was so involved.

I thought you just stuck them all together... in the right order....and shot brilliant photos. Just like what you show in these threads.

Ken
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:33 PM   #7

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
I had no idea it was so involved.

I thought you just stuck them all together... in the right order....and shot brilliant photos. Just like what you show in these threads.

Ken
Thanks, Ken!

Once you know what's going on and get an idea of the longest distance you can shoot from,this particular tubeis easyto use... you just have to use it because it's definitely a different experience from shooting with the lens in the normal range. The hardest thing to get used to is the relatively thin (but adequate)depth of focusat any focal length, which is why zooming is the fastest way to get within the range from where you are standing, or just set it somewhere and move inor out until you get there.

It's amazing how close you can get. I would guess the majority of the images I've posted here were shot in the 160-300mm range of that lens, and it gives you a great working distance of a few to severalfeet, which, if you are shooting bugs or such, keeps you outside their "zone of comfort", meaning they are less likely to fly or crawlaway when you are shooting.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 6:59 AM   #8

Thanks, everyone and especially Greg for his detailed advise.

I bought the EX-25 when I bought the ZD 50mm f/2 macro because the Oly web page for themacro seemed to imply that it was a good accessory for it:

Greg Chappell wrote: [/b]
Quote:
tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
You should be able to use the EX25 down to around a35mm equivalent of 50mm, so it should be useable with a lens like the new25mm f2.8 Zuiko. Below that, the pointof being in focus in theory would fall somewhere inside the front element of the lens, especially a lens like the 21mm f1.4 Leica, so achieving focus is going to be impossible.

Actually I made a typo - the Leica is a 25mm not a 24mm. But regardless, it sounds like I need to play with longer lenses.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 7:51 AM   #9

if you use manual lenses, there are more options. theres the OM extension set and a chinese 4/3 extension set. both allow smaller & larger extension permitting use of a widerchoice of focal length. if you want serious magnification, theres a wide range of reversing adapters.

Ebay Listing for 4/3 Mount Three Ring Macro Extension Tube

Listings from Ebay store Photopus for 4/3 Mount Lens Adapters

gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 9:18 AM   #10

Ted,

Now I am really pleased you asked the question because the response has been so informative.

I had no idea, like Ken, that this addon with the hole in it is actually as complex in its usage as it now seems, for myself, I may try one someday but right now I have gotten out of the mood to have one. Maybe when y'all start posting your photos I will get the itch again.

I need my nap time..........
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote