Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 17, 2008, 4:06 PM   #1

Hi all

The Oline photographers posted their top 10 cameras for 2008:

http://theonlinephotographer.com/the...log_index.html

No1. Nikon d300
No2: Olympus E3 + Pentax K20D

I like his impartial reviews and comments on all cameras.

Cheers

HArj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:00 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up Harj.

First time i've read anyone (other than Wrotniak) correctly point out that there is actually almost no difference between the 4/3 sensor and the APS-C sensor. A very refreshing review.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:11 PM   #3

"However, there is one important measure in which the E-3 absolutely excels: image quality. As Peter K. Burian writes in his Shutterbug review, "Low ISO image quality is superlative. My best ISO 100 to 400 JPEGs are clean, silky smooth, and finely detailed. Resolution is outstanding, color saturation, contrast, and sharpness are quite high for a very pleasing overall effect." Used with one of the better Oly lenses, the E-3, within its power band, is capable of connoisseur-pleasing photographic image quality that's tough to beat with just about anything on the market."

"As we've written elsewhere, Olympus has become to the digital age what Leica was to the preceeding generation and Zeiss to the generation before that—the world's leading lensmaker."

I think we can all agree to the above quotes!

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 5:07 AM   #4

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
First time i've read anyone (other than Wrotniak) correctly point out that there is actually almost no difference between the 4/3 sensor and the APS-C sensor. A very refreshing review.
Hi Zig

I think the reason folks think that way, is because there's a very different "35mm-equivalent" factor for the two: 2X for the 4/3 versus 1.5X for the APS-C. So I'm guessing thatcauses folks to think the size of the two is very different.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 5:11 AM   #5

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I like his impartial reviews and comments on all cameras.
Hi, Harj

I really got a kick out of seeing an 8x10 view camera on the list! I really wouldn't have guessed you could still buy film for one.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 6:00 AM   #6

i think the main issue i have with 4/3 is highlight clipping. everytime i have to deal with it, i wonder how a 40d would have performed, ie: what percentage of the clipped area would the canon have resolved that the oly could'nt. test images @ dpr show a pretty dramatic difference between e3 & 40d - thats all i have to go by.

of course oly will impove this in the future, so im still holding out, clunking away with my trusty old e1. but heck, at least the grip works.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 9:46 AM   #7

gwillys wrote:
Quote:
i think the main issue i have with 4/3 is highlight clipping. everytime i have to deal with it, i wonder how a 40d would have performed, ie: what percentage of the clipped area would the canon have resolved that the oly could'nt. test images @ dpr show a pretty dramatic difference between e3 & 40d - thats all i have to go by.
Highlight clipping continues to be a problem for all E-xxx series dslrs-perhaps except for the E-520 as the jury is still out on that camera. Wether it's the 4/3technology itself or the particular sensor that Oly employs, that causes this issue- along with noise at medium to high ISOI don't know but I'm waiting to see what solutions in the future Oly comes up with as I too would like to upgrade.

Or perhaps, I should just start playing the Lottery, win a huge sum of money then go off and get me one of those Canon EOS-1D Mark III's and a big honkin' lens.I'd still be a lousy photographer but I could walk around, smug in the knowledge that I got one of the best.

On second thought.....naaah!

Z
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote