Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:35 AM   #1

Hi All,

Well I went to the CapeCod Baseball League game between the Cotuit Kettleers and the Chatham A's last nite.

Armed with advice from John G, I took a bunch of photos athigher ISO settings and Arpeture settings with the aim of keeping my shutter speed as high as possible.

Most of the shots were ( I feel) better than my 1st attempt. unfortunately, I got there late and the Sun was setting fairly quickly. At first,I started just using 200ISO, then 400, and finally 800.

When I started thinking about how I wanted to compose the shot and about what I wanted to capture, my wife said that's enough, it's time to go.

No exciting action shots but here is a link to one of the images shot at 800ISO which I cleaned up a bit with Neat Image. If you look at the previous image it's the same one without PP. After reading about noise problems with Oly cameras at high ISOs, I've been reluctant to go over 200. I was actually quite satisfied with the IQ of this photo-even though the scene itself is pretty mundane. I shot it too late. What I wanted to do is capture the runner running to first as the throw was heading to the bag.

http://www.pbase.com/zig123/image/98989155/medium.jpg

Theres always next time.

BTW, John G. thanks for all the info. My goal the next time I go is to spend a lot more time composing the shot... and i'm not taking the missus.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2008, 1:37 PM   #2

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

Well I went to the CapeCod Baseball League game between the Cotuit Kettleers and the Chatham A's last nite.

Armed with advice from John G, I took a bunch of photos athigher ISO settings and Arpeture settings with the aim of keeping my shutter speed as high as possible.

Most of the shots were ( I feel) better than my 1st attempt. unfortunately, I got there late and the Sun was setting fairly quickly. At first,I started just using 200ISO, then 400, and finally 800.
Quote:
That's typically what I do, but I usually start at 400, then 800 and finally get to where I'm using ISO 1600 like I did at the Rangers-A's game. Don't be afraid of ISO 1600 with the E510. Shoot RAW, use Aperture Priorityso you can set the lens wide open to absolutely maximize the shutter speedand either turn the noise filter to low or leave it off and clean up what noise there is later. These days I am using Olynpus' Studio to convert my RAW files, which gives you the option of applying the noise filter after the fact...orkeep it off. I 'm preferring that option to opening the file up in Photoshop after conversionand applying Neat Image, whichI have set as a plug-in
Quote:

When I started thinking about how I wanted to compose the shot and about what I wanted to capture, my wife said that's enough, it's time to go.

No exciting action shots but here is a link to one of the images shot at 800ISO which I cleaned up a bit with Neat Image. If you look at the previous image it's the same one without PP. After reading about noise problems with Oly cameras at high ISOs, I've been reluctant to go over 200. I was actually quite satisfied with the IQ of this photo-even though the scene itself is pretty mundane. I shot it too late. What I wanted to do is capture the runner running to first as the throw was heading to the bag.

http://www.pbase.com/zig123/image/98989155/medium.jpg

Theres always next time.
Quote:
Have you seen todays Photo of the Day? Most excellent shot of a ball smacking into the catchers mit.

BTW, John G. thanks for all the info. My goal the next time I go is to spend a lot more time composing the shot... and i'm not taking the missus.
Quote:
Absoluitely! The reason why I typically can nab a good seat like I did in the one major league game is, I almost always go by myself. There's always singles just about anywhere I want to put myself and, more importantly, I get there when I want, I stay as long as I want and do what I want to do!
Quote:

Zig

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 3:30 PM   #3

Hi Greg,

Appreciate your response.

I promised my self before I got to the game to shoot in RAW. Then I didn't- I don't know why, makes no sense, but I'm definitely making a point of doing that at the next game.

I keep forgetting that you have used ISO1600 in the past, with a great deal of success. Thanks for that reminder. You know, after reading so many articles on this Oly shortcoming or that Oly shortcoming I've gotten somewhat reluctant about just trying different settings i.e.boosting the ISO. I need to just try and stick to the recommendations made by people that actually use cameras.

Next time i go, i'm I'm going to list down what I would like to achieve- the types of action shots I want, think about where I need to position myself to get them and pay more attention to framing of the shot- I thought I got some pretty good shots last night but when I got home and looked at them I realized i framed the image rather poorly.

I have and have used Olympus Studio to manipulate RAW files. trouble is, I've got too many different photo editing software packages and plug-ins. I've got Picasa 2, Corel Paintshop Pro XI, Photoshop Elements 4.0 and 6, Neat Image, Genuine Fractals.I've got too many choices and I need to just streamline to one or 2.

Last, I most definitley will go alone to the next game.

Last night's adventure started out as my wife and I catchinga game. Next thing I knew, she had invited about 5 other couples. So, here we are with me trying to take some photos and not being totally rude by going off to another section of the field where I could get a better angle on the action. Then in the middle of it all, thewives got hungry and cold and wanted to go for coffee and dessert. Meanwhile, the guys, none of whom are interested in photography, think I'm a bit of a geek.

Well... actually I am but thats beside the point.

Old Jun 21, 2008, 3:34 PM   #4

Hey Greg,

Just took a look at the POD. The batter's eyes looking at the glove with the dust flying in the air just says it all.

What a great capture.

Thanks for the heads up.

Zig