Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:50 PM   #1

Hi All,

Just a quick note to let you know that there was an in-depthreview of the E-420 DSLR at Dpreview.:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse420/

Additionally, there are a substantial number of photo samples.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2008, 3:54 PM   #2

Just wanted to add that there are a number of sample images taken with the new 25mm pancake lens in this review. The images are quite good.

Zig
Old Jun 24, 2008, 4:44 PM   #3

If you read the forum there for Oly SLRs, many Oly users don't think highly of that review, especially the fact that it was copied from the E-410 review (DPReview admits this), just changing the numbers.

They even still list the SSWF as a con, rather than a pro. You have to wonder though if some of the other issues that were copied from the E-410 review still exists, or have been fixed but are still listed as issues.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:59 PM   #4

"Like the E-410 the new model takes a little longer than (most) other cameras to start up due to the SSWF sequence."

For the love of God...when will this nonsense ever end?! Every single Oly review, without exception, treats this as if it's actually worthy of comment. The SSWF sequence takes about as long as the time from when you flip the on switch until you raise the camera to your eye. What utterly irrelevant nonsense!

And I've actually seen newbies question this feature. As in, "I'm thinking about buying an Oly DSLR but I'm concerned about the slow start up time..."

Honestly, if I see one of these reviewers in person, I'm going to give them a well-deserved slap across the mouth.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:51 AM   #5

Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:
"Like the E-410 the new model takes a little longer than (most) other cameras to start up due to the SSWF sequence."

For the love of God...when will this nonsense ever end?! Every single Oly review, without exception, treats this as if it's actually worthy of comment. The SSWF sequence takes about as long as the time from when you flip the on switch until you raise the camera to your eye. What utterly irrelevant nonsense!

And I've actually seen newbies question this feature. As in, "I'm thinking about buying an Oly DSLR but I'm concerned about the slow start up time..."

Honestly, if I see one of these reviewers in person, I'm going to give them a well-deserved slap across the mouth.
Good post.......I'll hold him while you beat the crap out of him..!
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:23 AM   #6

Hi Brent!

Well said.. and a kick in the nuts would also be in order too ! Its amazing how the anti dust feature is seen as a pro for all the other camera manufacturers now that they have implemented it but the dpr review still flags it up as a con. Just plain stupid and after 3-4 years of it being one of the best features of oly dslr's you;d think they would know better.

Harj

:O :? :G
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:16 AM   #7

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
If you read the forum there for Oly SLRs, many Oly users don't think highly of that review, especially the fact that it was copied from the E-410 review (DPReview admits this), just changing the numbers.
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reminder to read the Oly SLR forum over at Dpreview. I got a boot out of reading some of the responses to a recent post about theOly's 4/3 format.

They are a testy lot.

As for the review, well I guess I've gotten hardened to the absurdity of the knock on the Oly SSWF feature that I don't even notice it anymore. Anybody with a pea brain should be able to figure out that it takes longer to take the lens cap off then the time the camera takes to go thru SSWF .

I was just happy to see the reviewer actually admit that he was nitpicking ISO performance and IQ performance. Also new (to me anyway) was the reviewer's closing statement:

"I certainly found myself sticking it into my pocket even on occasions when I would not usually have taken an SLR with me and anything that gets you to take more images can only be a good thing."

Overall, it was a pretty positive review.

Zig

Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:06 AM   #8

Actually, take a look at the Canon and Nikon forums over there too. Everyone thinks DP Review is biased AGAINST their system. Every minor complaint brought up in a review is discussed ad nauseum as an example of how Phil and company are biassed against their system. Oly is hardly the the only manufacturer whose cameras suffer from the horrible and cruel people reviewing cameras over there. I'm not weighing in one way or the other on whether there's a real problem as I've never used the camera. Just weighing in on the comical fact that every system's supporters have the same rash of rants after a review comes out.

Read canon forums and it's clear Phil hates Canon. Read nikon and it's clear he's biassed against Nikon. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I think too many people expect to see a review of the latest camera in their system stating it's the best invention since the wheel. And invariably everyone is disappointed because there isn't a single camera on the market that is better than it's competition in every respect. And Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Oly users are all guilty of it. Just my .02 fom reading forums for all the manufacturers.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:18 PM   #9

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Actually, take a look at the Canon and Nikon forums over there too. Everyone thinks DP Review is biased AGAINST their system. Every minor complaint brought up in a review is discussed ad nauseum as an example of how Phil and company are biassed against their system. Oly is hardly the the only manufacturer whose cameras suffer from the horrible and cruel people reviewing cameras over there. I'm not weighing in one way or the other on whether there's a real problem as I've never used the camera. Just weighing in on the comical fact that every system's supporters have the same rash of rants after a review comes out.

Read canon forums and it's clear Phil hates Canon. Read nikon and it's clear he's biassed against Nikon. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I think too many people expect to see a review of the latest camera in their system stating it's the best invention since the wheel. And invariably everyone is disappointed because there isn't a single camera on the market that is better than it's competition in every respect. And Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Oly users are all guilty of it. Just my .02 fom reading forums for all the manufacturers.

In some ways you're correct John but you have to admit that their constant regurgitation on this one theme, especially when they label a great feature like this as a con, get's tiresome.

I really don't think that they did much homework on this review. By their own admission they copied most ofit from the 410.

I read a few reviews on the E500 before buying it and I've never been sorry. Despite being told that I'd have to wait some unspecified time for the camera to start up, but then I like Oly..!!!

Ken
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:05 PM   #10

Yeah, it's the constant and...quite honestly...HILARIOUS harping on the start-up lag when the SSWF is used that drives me up the wall. Really, I'm not interested in whether they like my cameras or not. I'm not switching now andI suspect most Canon and Nikon guys won't either.

To me, this is one of those issues that reflects on the general credibility of a review. The so called start up delay can be measured in fractions of a second. It is entirely irrelelvent. As pointed out, it takes longer to remove the lens cap or, as I said, raise the camera to your eye. The fact that a reviewer will stop to point out something which is completely irrelevant, leads me wonder how many other things in the review are completely irrelevant.

People who are in the market for a new camera will read reviews and give some weight to everything that's mentioned. The very fact that such a nonsensical waste ofwords gets typed into a review, will cause a percentage of readers (no matter how small) to think that it is an issue worthy of consideration.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote