Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:22 PM   #1

my 2.1 mp monster. thought someone might get a kick out of this. its in the closet, in the box, mint. performance reminded me of a 110, lol. but it was fun for awhile & got me started with ps.maybe, if the batterys any good, i'll pull it out for some shots.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2100dg.html
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2008, 3:05 PM   #2

HA! That's practically a Hasselblad compared to my first digital.

Mine was a Minolta DimagePic that produced 480x320 pictures in the high resoluion mode.

It's the only camera I every owned where the FINISHED photos were thumbnails!

I finally threw it out about 5 months ago to make more room in camera storage cabinet.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:57 PM   #3

Brings back memories! My first Digital was an Olympus D-490 from late 2000. But I no longer have it as it was stolen from my rental car in Las Vegas in 2001. However, by then I was impressed with the freedom of how easy it worked, and how quick photos could be downloaded to the computer, not to mention the savings in film costs.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:40 AM   #4

I guess I will have most people beat for earliest...my first CCD still camera wasn't digital at all, it was the 1988 Canon RC-250 Xapshot/Q-PIC/ION which was an analog still video camera which stored the images on a 2" floppy disk. It used NTSC television resolution and it could store a field (256 lines) or a frame (512 lines) or a whopping 0.2mp.

http://www.digicamhistory.com/Canon_XapShot_sep.html

Back then there were very few computers that could edit photos, but I used a computer called the Amiga from Commodore which displayed 4096 colours (that was a LOT considering when it came out three years earlier the PC could only display 4 colours out of a palette of 16, and the Mac was black & white!

To get the pictures into the computer you had to use a video digitizer (that converts analog video into a digital image).

I was also into scanning my film prints and negatives back then...I've been trying to remember the scanner I used to use because it was unique as it could light from above or below for doing prints or negatives..but I can't remember the make or model.

I've used various digital cameras over the years, but an SLR 35mm film was still my first choice until I got a 2.1mp Oly C-700 in 2002...that was the first digital camera I used (that I could afford) that was good enough for me to say it's time to make the switch, and I haven't shot film since; since then I got an E-300.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:40 AM   #5

yep, you win, lol. i didnt think there was anything stranger looking than my yashica samuri, but that canon takes the cake
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 2:44 PM   #6

Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:
Mine was a Minolta DimagePic that produced 480x320 pictures in the high resoluion mode.

It's the only camera I every owned where the FINISHED photos were thumbnails!
You said that right, Brent! My first one wasthe Logitech Fotoman (aka the Dycam Model 1).Retail price was $1,000 USD (in 1990!) - fortunately my company paid for it, to put photos on web sites.376 x 240 pixels, basically thumbnails as you said. And it was about the same size as the early portable phones, although somewhat less heavy (image below).

You all may be interested to know that apparently it wasthe first completely digital still camera made (I'm not sure I knew that at the time - I just knew we needed it).

We've come a long way...

Ted
Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 2:24 AM   #7

Fun thread gwillys. You guys had some stone age stuff. I guess I was a comparative new comer to the world of little pixels and I'm still no expert.

Mine was an OlyC4000 and I quickly leart to love it.

The first digital I got to use was a sony. It used a 3.5" floppy and I was quite impressed with it.
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...d5_cleaned.jpg[/img]

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote