Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 1, 2008, 1:39 PM   #1

Hi All,

For those of you looking for some idea if it makes sense to uograde from your e-410,e-510 series dslr to the new e-420, e-520 dslr Wrotniak just posted a timely comparison of these 2 sets of Oly DSLRs.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e420-e520.html

Included is some thoughts on the latest Oly Zuiko lenses.

As always, a good and informative read.

Also, If you were thinking of getting the Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm lens, he also has some insight into the IQ of this particular lens. It can be found in his photo tidbits section.

:|

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:49 AM   #2

The one piece of hardware in that write-upI'm really interested in is the 9-18 Digital Zuiko. I've had my E510 for too little time...this generation of bodies will be a "skip" for me....unless I wind up with an E3 some day. Assumingthe 9-18up to 70-300 optical standards....I want it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:42 AM   #3

Ditto for me on the camera bodies.....

As for the lens, I'm really looking forward to the release of the 9-18mm and as you've stated, hope it's as good as the 70-300mm. That would be a great combo.

zig
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:12 AM   #4

Sometimes I really get the urge to "Upgrade" trouble is I'm 'really' enjoying my e500. I still learn something each time I go out with it.

The e520 would be wonderful but I think my first (Next) buy will be the 70-300 and learn to love the tripod..!
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:43 AM   #5

I wish they would have a dual sensor camera again like the E-330...since the new E cameras have to keep the shutter open during live view I'm concerned about prematuraly
burning out the shutter motor.

I'm considering picking up an E-330 to do workshops since it doesn't require holding the shutter open for live view...I currently use a camcorder that has still photo capability, but it isn't the same especially when dealing with settings and how it affects the picture.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:52 AM   #6

The E-500 is a terrific camera and I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade to the E-510 were it not specifically because I wanted the 70-300mm lens. I wanted that lens and I knew I would be handholding it...so the Image Stabilization was THE determining factor. Plus I got a couple of extra megapixels which isn't really a big deal but it helped justify my upgrade.

But there's nothing in the E-520 that I need. I've got 10MP and IS.

I don't want to get TOO far ahead of the specualtion curve but, at this point, I'm more interested in the next generation of Oly cameras. Yeah, EVERYBODY always wants the NEXT camera . The thing is, I think Oly has done about as much as they can with the 10MP/IS consumer DSLR. You can only repackage the same basic specifications so many times. I understand that the E-510 has been very succesful for Oly. They need to give the legions of E-510 owners a REASON to upgrade.

However, I'm not pushing them. I think Olympus has been reasonable. The E-510 with 10MP and IS is "last years" model and I understand the need to produce "this years model" for people just getting into the system. It's just that all of the E-510 owners are going to need something really different before they jump onboard with the next Oly DSLR.

I still have theE-500 as well.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 5:54 AM   #7

Mikefellh wrote:
I'm considering picking up an E-330 to do workshops since it doesn't require holding the shutter open for live view...I currently use a camcorder that has still photo capability, but it isn't the same especially when dealing with settings and how it affects the picture.

Hi Mike,

I've seen some Pre-owned E-330's available on Craig's list and EBay for, what I think pretty low prices. There's been a listing for an E-330 equipped with a 14-54mm lens on Craig's list for $575US.

Olympus also regurlarly lists the E-330 on Ebay. manufacturers warranty included:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...742.m153.l1262

Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:04 AM   #8

Thanks, but I have a personal source where I can get better pricing.

But getting back to the original post, I can't wait to hear some snippet about the 9-18mm (especially since I've been waiting two years for it ever since it's been on the lens road map).

The fact that there's a picture of it makes me want more info, and sample images.

The perfect article would have the 9-18mm up against Sigma's 10-20mm so I can decide which one...if I were to get the 11-22 though I may become spoiled and want to replace all my kit glass (also I want that little bit wider than the 11-22 can provide).

The following link has a side view of the 9-18mm, as well as some more info:
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...t/1206/cat/all

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:51 PM   #9

Whether to upgrade from the E-510 to the E-520 is one question. But what about a similar - but different - question: Assuming you have neither camera, is it better to buy the new E-520 or a leftover E-510? Generally, the E-510 seems to be going for at least $100 less these days. So that's one consideration. But outside of price, which is better in terms of image quality?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 6:49 AM   #10

Biro wrote:
Quote:
Whether to upgrade from the E-510 to the E-520 is one question. But what about a similar - but different - question: Assuming you have neither camera, is it better to buy the new E-520 or a leftover E-510? Generally, the E-510 seems to be going for at least $100 less these days. So that's one consideration. But outside of price, which is better in terms of image quality?
Hi Biro,

As an owner of an E-510 and based on what I've read to this point, relative to the features of the E-520 I would have to say that the image quality should be about the same. Both cameras usea ten-megapixel NMOS sensor, made by Panasonic, with the native RGB image resolution of 3648×2736 pixels (4:3 aspect ratio). The effective image size on the sensor is 13×17.3 mm.

Thechanges that Olympus has made to the E-520 appear to be firmware related designed to produce somewhat better images "straight out of the camera". If you post process your images on your PC, then these changes become relatively minor.

For me, if I could get the E-510 and save a hundred bucks thenI would do that.

If I may suggest, you might want to take a compact flash card with you to a camera shop and try taking shots with both. Take them home and then examine them on your pc. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.........

Zig