Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:02 AM   #1

That's a personal record: 549 in one session.

I went to an autocross on the weekend. Basically, that's a parking lot rally...an obstacle course run for the fastest time. I got close enough to the action that I had to sign a waver in case I got hit by a car. Any event that requires a waver has to be fun. I just fired away and lost track of the number of pictures I was taking. I was shocked to see 549 pics load into the computer. I was a couple of pics shy of filling that whole 4GB card.

I was also very pleased by the number of "keepers". I would have thought there would be a huge loss due to blur or chopped off framing. While I did have to crop most pictures forcomposition (this cars were moving!), I kept the cars in frame in about 95% of the shots. It was mostly a matter of some cropping just to keept them relatively centered.

I would credit my airplane photography for training me to do decent work with fast moving subjects. All pictures were shot with the 510 with the70-300 and most on IS2. Here's three samples:

Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:30 AM   #2

Very nice photos, Brent!
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:11 AM   #3

I can only imagine how much fun that was! I had a hard enough time keeping thorougbreds in the finder with that same combination as they passed by, so I can imagine what it was like with race cars, and you posted some really nice ones here.

The thing I need to work on is my zooming while shooting. It isn't easy to do and keep on the target and a steady shutter release all at the same time. There were several times where I wouldget a nice shot, but could have been zoomed in on more,and when Ilooked and saw I had plenty of zoom left I would kick myself for not trying to zoom inwhile shooting.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:55 PM   #4

Fortunately for me, zooming while shooting is a CONSTANT when I photograph airplanes near where I live. I like to wander over to a nearby field at the airport fence and photograph the planes on approach. This puts me VERY close to the action. In fact, as measured on Google Earth, my house is 1100 yards from the threshold of the big runway and the airport fence is about 150 yards from the threshold. So when I stand at that fence, I can usually start to pick up the planes from 6 miles out until they pass by a couple hundred feet away.

All the time, I'm zooming out trying to keep the wings just inside the frame. Even if I'm not tracking a plane, I'll practice zooming from stop-to-stop just to get a feel for how quickly I should be zooming.

Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:31 PM   #5

Nice stuff Brent. Really crisp photos, I'm jealous. Cool lookin' Porche........

549 pics goes by so easily when you're having fun. Years ago I went to the first Long Beach Grand Prix when they raced F1 cars and a budy and I just happened to get into the press area (While the guard was otherwise occupied) I went through 2 rolls of 36 shot slides on my OM2 and felt good about the expence..

Looks like a fine way to spend a couple of hours, where was it?
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:30 PM   #6

I tell myself that if I shot 549 Kodachrome transparencies, the film and processing would have cost about as much as a small HDTV!

The event was sponsored by the Porsche club and my neighbour has a Porsche 928 so we managed to drive right down to the edge of the lot without attracting undue attention. I'm a car guy myself but my old 1968 Triumph TR250 would likely have looked too out-of-place to slip into the action.

Ironically, the event was in a church parking lot here in Winnipeg, Canada. It was held on a Saturday which, I guess, makes sense since it would be the only kind of large parking lot empty on a Saturday.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:52 PM   #7

The Manitoba plates were a pretty good clue for someone as sharp as myself..! The German Euro plate is a nice touch on the Audi.

Used to like following the racing. a lot. Back home in Liverpool we lived a short walk "across the cemetary" and over the railway... our back door to the Aintree grand prix track. Used to watch the likes of Fangio and Moss racing for Merc. Mike Hawthorn and Jim Clark.

I'll dig out those shots from Long Beach some day. Got some really. close up and personel shots from the infield, hanging over the wall as the cars went "right" by.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote