Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:21 PM   #1

Here's an experiment I did a few days ago.

I'm guilty about "forgetting" techniques that I used back in the film days. Since we don't need as many filters as we used to, I really hadn't given filters much thought recently. While reading a book about photographing art, crafts and collectibles,mention was made of using a polarizer to control glare from glass frames and cabinets. Of course, that's an old and well known technique. Then I pondered the difficulty I was having shooting some glossy objects and I realized that I hadn't considered a circular polarizer. Just my luck, checking my old photo stash revealed that I did NOT have a polarizer with 52mm threads used by the 50mm F2 lens. So I went and bought one (it's only money, I can just cut back on food for a couple of weeks).

I shot this example set using the camera locked on the tripod. Only the polarizer was used to make adjustments. I didn't reposition the lights at all. As you can see, the top photo is really unusable. The glare ruins it. The second photo with the polarizer correcting most of the glare is perfectly acceptable.

Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:19 PM   #2

Hi Brent

Nice comparison and really shows how usual a polarisre is... i still need to get one - I think for the 14-54. Nice models too!

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:42 PM   #3

hi Harj! thanks brent, thats great & you've given me some ideas. highlight clipping drives me nuts (its a short drive) and this looks like a good way to effectivly control it in some situations. i wonder how a linear polarizer would do. i have both so i'll give it a go.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:02 AM   #4

That comparison tells the story, doesn't it.

Funny you should bring this up, I went and bought a new circular polarizer the other day. Don't know what happend to the old one I picked up in Hong Kong. I took some snowy mountain shots and blue sky on a clear day and was so disappointed.

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 8:47 AM   #5

Here's another expensive irony.

I've got six ZD lenses and four them use 58mm filters.

But I'm only interested in polarizers for two lenses...the only two that don't match: the 50mm (uses 52mm filters) and the 11-22mm (uses 72mm filters). The 11-22 is my "car show" lens and I'd love to get a polarizer on it. But a good 72mm polarizer is no small chunk of change.

It's one thing when you can shell out for a filter and use it on multiple lenses but it's annoying when a filter fits on ONE lens. I guess my only option is to find another ZD lens that uses 72mm filters .
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:25 AM   #6

The one thing that polarizers used to be good at (aside from glare reduction) wasdeepening the color ofa blue sky. Over the years I've noticed that they don't do that very much anymore. Apparently the high volume of jet aircraft traffic (at least in North America) puts so much water vapor in the upper air that the sky is always a pale blue, and a polarizer doesn't really help very much. (Meteorologists note that during the first few days after 9/11, when all commercial air traffic was grounded, the skies became much more blue.)

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:45 PM   #7

yes, and the temperature rose. cp's are also good for shooting around water
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 4:27 PM   #8

I should have said that I was wondering if I was the only one noticing the effect that polarizers don't deepen the blue of the sky anymore.

I can get what I want with PShop and the (great) add-onNik Color Efex, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something with how I use polarizers on a camera. I do know that they won't deepen the sky color unless you're aiming the camera 90ยบ from the sun, but nowadays that just makes the sky a deeper blue-gray, not a deeper blue.

Ted
Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:37 PM   #9

........one I did with a CP and the 40-150. The sky turned out pretty nice in this one

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 10:43 AM   #10

It sure did, Bob. But although I used to get that kind of result with a LP and film, I rarely get that kind of result anymore with a CP and DSLR.

Ted