Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:24 AM   #1

Yesterday was quite a boring day for me so I decided to apply the Oly updates to my E-3. I don't have a clue if the WB update fixed anything because I did not know WB needed fixing.

Anyway, the procedure surely did not break anything that is for sure. Of course I needed to put back menu settings changes, but then I don't have many so no big deal there.

Today, we started this weekends baseball tournament so off I went to checkout a change in usage for the 70-300. I shot with WideOpen lens, AP priority, auto WB, ISO 200 & 400. The day was bright and shutter speed was 800 to 2000 .. a good day and better all around for the photos. Today, I like the results from the 70-300, the white is white, the red is red and the clay is the right color too.

A couple samples.........

[img]p?forum_id=36[/img]

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:49 AM   #2

I may burn in hell but I've never updated an Oly lens or camera. Fortunately, my E-510 shipped with an early update that improved IS response in low light...I guess the 510 was in production long enough that they could apply the running change. But my E-500 and all the lenses are still version 1.0.

Sacrilege, you say!

OK...here's the deal. Two days ago, I'm sitting in my living room at 10:30PM watching a Blu-ray disc on my big screen TV. And my computer's running in the other room. A nice, calm summer night. Suddenly, the power fails. The whole block is blacked out. No warning. Two minutes later, the power comes back on. No explanation. A Blu-ray disc is stuck in the player and my computer has shut down. Well, the disc came out OK. But it took me two hours to get the computer working.

Another day...perfect, clear summer day. 2:00 in the afternoon. Power goes dead for the whole west end of the city. 125,00 people without power for 2 hours. Turns out some guy 5 miles away drove into a power pole.

Unless Oly improves their method of firmware updating, I have no desire to update unless I SPECIFICALLY see a PROBLEM that NEEDS to be fixed with an update.

I got into hot water here last year when I admitted to not having updated my E-500. Well, I've owned that E-500 for two years and it's working just PERFECTLY on firmware 1.0. I'm not going to risk bricking a camera and lens because some guy has three martini lunch and plows into a power pole. If I know an update will FIX a PROBLEM, I'll update. But I won't risk it (and it is a risk) just so that I can say I have the latest update.

After that little rant, let me say that I'm always happy to see work from my new favorite lens: the 70-300. Great work and wide open you say? Very impressive. It's hard to think of a reason NOT to own that lens.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 1:23 AM   #3

..........I understand all you say Brent, it is a risk, but I have updated all my cameras at one time or another. I worked in the world of IT for 48 years and saw several power hits over the years prior to generator backup. Oh, probably someone will think about battery backup, but in the real world it is generator backup with the hardware running against the battries at all time, as you may know. That works ok for the big guys but for the PCs here at the home I only use AC surge devices and take the risks.
At one time I had a battery backup arrangement for my 144 mhz and 440 mhz transcievers but the current draw was minimal in recieve so the battery worked well and for quite a few hours of time.

Anyway I did do the camera update yesterday, it worked and likely that will be the only one I will do unless Harj does the next one and recommends it, hi!

As for the 70-300 I do like it, but the 50-200 is such a great lens I will get back to it soon and I am anxious to try the 70-300 with my E-300.

Thanks for the remarks,
Old Jul 4, 2008, 3:33 AM   #4

I had thought the E3's auto WB was ok - its flash WB in studio that seems to be out by quiet a bit - set it to 5600K and white is definitely not white unless its set to 4800K. Now whether this update fixes that I don't know but I may give this update a try - I didn;t want to as one fix that may or may not effect your cam just doesn;t seem to be worth the effort. Oly definitely need to change the way they do the fw update but I personally wouldn't know which would be the best way to do it - download to CF and then update ? Not sure if Canon and Nikon do it that way but it seems a lot more easier than the current method.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 6:01 AM   #5

PGMCoder wrote:

'Today, I like the results from the 70-300, the white is white, the red is red and the clay is the right color too.'

Hey Bob,

you left out that the images were really sharp,too...............

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:08 PM   #6

hi Harj & Zig,

Of course there are other ways to update the hardware, I wrote a lot of code during my working life that involved getting data to applications for large mainframes as well as in between sized UNIX based systems. Too, I have seen many different approaches by some quite large software makers (not any of the PC stuff, I never worked on any those data types)...... in the end all of them could be classified as risky but still needed to be done. The difference !!!! we most always had a 'backup' point with which to work with.

As for updating hardware such as our Olympus gear, I actually like the process Olympus has provided and don't really consider the risk beyond the awareness of it. I do not like the popup that messages.... 'If you do the update, you cannot go back to the previous state' and/or if a failure occurs, well....). That goes against any reasonable data processing RULEs.

If the procedure were to do a flash copy of the system prior to doing the actual application of data and provide a 'put back' process in the event(s) of update failure or even dislike of the update results, then I would be really happy with the process.

Maybe we can package some eMails to Olympus support suggesting ideas for low risk maintenance ....

Zig, yes these photos are much sharper and with more detail than were the first time out photos.

Thanks for saying so.......... and here is another I like from this batch.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:08 PM   #7

More and more I'm getting messages that I should own a 70-300. What are you trying to do to me. Our friend Ken Rockwell says "It's not the camera or lens, we can do it all with a cellphone cam." Or words to that effect.....:-)

Nice photos Bob, crisp clean and as you say "All the right colours"

Because it's the 4th of July I won't even say anything about Baseball and paint drying......ducks and runs.

Actually I'm taking my visiting grandkids to the local 4th parade and this evening down to the park for fireworks. Hokey but fun...Oh yeh andhotdogs for dinner.

I'm with Brent with the updates. If it's not broke and my e500 isn't, then dont fix it.

Wait I did put one of those watchimicallit viewing screens in, that doen't count, does it????!!!!
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote