Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:26 AM   #1

Went to a dog show at Dallas Market Hall yesterday with my girlfriend to see a cousin of hers who had an entry in the contest. Took the opportunity to use the E510 and 70-300 combination indoors, albeit ata fairly well lit hall.

For some reason I had the noise filter set to low vs. off, which was OK I guess since I shot most everything at ISO 1600, but I think I'm going to turn it off permanently and make any needed adjustments from now on in Studio. I left the white balance setting on auto. Once home, I did some experimenting in Studio with white balance settings, picked the one that looked best and applied it to all images for more consistent color.

All the images can be viewed from this link..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...26277672_SNZNA

A few of my favorites..

Ouch!

These next images are of the dog my girlfriend's cousin was showing. For these, I used ISO 800 and my FL50 flash with an omni-bounce mounted and the flash head pointed straight up...

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:46 AM   #2

Nice series of photos once more Greg. I'm starting to get a thing about this lens...:-)

Some of those creatures do resemble dogs in a way, don't they??!

Reminds me of the movie "Best in Show"
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:00 AM   #3

Scouse wrote:
Quote:

Reminds me of the movie "Best in Show"
Yes, and I have to say, possibly more than the dogs.... the people! They are truly a breed apart themselves.I don't know that you can seepeople acting in amore silly mannerthan when they are dealing with dogs and/or cats at one of these "shows".A coupleof the"discussions" I heard between owners and judges, it would have been worth having a digicam on hand to snap a movie and load onto Youtube.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:19 AM   #4

Hi Greg,

Nice photos....

Some of thedogs look as apprehensive as the owners must have been.:O

Quick question:The shots you tookat ISO1600, did you do any PP in Studio to clean up noise? They seem pretty clean.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:47 AM   #5

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:

Quick question:The shots you tookat ISO1600, did you do any PP in Studio to clean up noise? They seem pretty clean.

Zig

No additional noise adjustments were made. The main twothings I did once I saw I had the cameras'noise filter set to low, was to change the sharpening setting fromminustwo to zeroand I didmanually adjust the white balance in each image to make the colors consistent. In some cases I made either a positive or negative exposure compensation adjustment, but that's it.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:56 PM   #6

........yep, some of those remind me of some folks I know or uh, oh well.

Great shots Greg and another 'needle' in the right place for digging Ken.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:19 PM   #7

Loved this one

[img]http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/photos...0_F8F2D-XL.jpg[/img]

The expressions remind me of the faces of the kids on the soccer team I coached...!!!!

Why won't my image thingy work???

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:23 PM   #8

Scouse wrote:
Quote:

Why won't my image thingy work???
I don't "protect" my files, so you can click on the size to view it on my web site, then right-click to copy, then come here to this page, right-click and paste. That will posted the image here. I typically post the "XLarge" sized files here.

Yes, I loved that one too. The near dog won in her (I believe) category.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:48 AM   #9

.........this is my favorite!

.........this process works really well from any SmugMug account that shows the 'share' button in the upper right corner of the monitor when viewing a 'SmugMug' photo and is the best for eMail since only the URL is mailed, so really large files and many of them may be emailed.

1. Click the 'SHARE' button to show a select screen for the SmugMug photo being displayed

2. RIGHT click on the size statement for the photo to capture the 'TRUE' link to the photo for sharing (note: for now RIGHT click is the way to do this, the JUST click says COPIED but it is not doing so at this time for me, so RIGHT click, COPY and it works fine)

3. .....in the Steve's reply message, CLICK the little tri-color selector at top right of message box to show a 'URL paster and do the paste (ctrl-V)

This is procedure works for any SmugMug account that is 'sharing' whether save protected or not. So long as the Share Button shows one can share the imbedded image with just the URL for as long as that image remains in the SmugMug gallery.

Try it by sending yourself an email of SmugMug image URLs.

Ken & others, I hope this helps with handling images from SmugMug accounts.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote