Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:53 AM   #1

OK we've done a few sunsets so this one I have to show (again?) seeingI had to get up pre-dawn on a chilly december day in China. I'd missed it the day before by minutes. The magic time, morning or evening doesn't wait for anybody.

One of my first shots with the 40-150.

Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:25 AM   #2

Hey Ken,

Nice shot!

But think how much nicer it would have been with the 70-300mm.

Only kidding :-) couldn't resist. It seems like we've been talking a lot recently about that lens (come to think of it we have).

Anyways.... that really is a nice shot. Visiting China must have been quite spectacular.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:07 PM   #3

...........ummmmmmmm! I like this picture very much and again a testiment to the 'OLD' 40-150. I have an early morning 'sunrise' shot I took one morning from my office of downtown Ft Worth, TX. I have a copy of it framed and see it every day thinking maybe it is the best picture I've ever taken with that lens.

So, Zig.... maybe just this one time I have to say, I don't think the 70-300 is any better then the orig 40-150 for this kind of photo, perhaps just as good but not at all better. Of course Ken has those deer, maybe he can get a ribbon on the fawn and run it around the yard on leash as if in a show... he would NEED the 70-300 for that.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:48 PM   #4

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
So, Zig.... maybe just this one time I have to say, I don't think the 70-300 is any better then the orig 40-150 for this kind of photo, perhaps just as good but not at all better. Of course Ken has those deer, maybe he can get a ribbon on the fawn and run it around the yard on leash as if in a show... he would NEED the 70-300 for that.
I totally agree about the 40-150mm being the better choice of the two. I just couldn't helpribbing Ken a bit. Although, truth be told, I would have loved to see that same shot taken with eitherthe 14-54mm ZDor the 11-22mmSWD ZD.

As for putting a ribbon on the fawn.....uh, I'm not touching that one.(grin)

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 2:05 PM   #5

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
OK we've done a few sunsets so this one I have to show (again?) seeingI had to get up pre-dawn on a chilly december day in China. I'd missed it the day before by minutes. The magic time, morning or evening doesn't wait for anybody.

One of my first shots with the 40-150.
That's a wonderful scene, great light, and excellent exposure.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:13 PM   #6

Giving an old man a hard time huh! :-)I'd need a lot more energy than I have right now to chase that little guy around the yard.

I think that the 40-150 was actually the right lens for this shot. I had to crop just a little so the wider angle wouldn't have worked and the tighter lens wouldn't have captured the valley between the hills.

Had a couple of great trips to China, my daughter and son-in-law work there as teachers. I fact I've just dropped them at the airport within the hour for their return to China. Then they're on to NZ to see their Mom before going back to China again for the start of school in Sept,after 3 weeks over here. I'll miss them and the kids aged 6 & 7.

Got some great shots while I was there, I'll organize a album in photobucket and let you know.

Ken
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote