Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:22 PM   #1

All shot with the E510 in RAW capture and processed in OlympusStudio..

These first two were shot with the EX25 tube alsofitted..

These next images were shot this evening. I tried out some new defaultsettings formy E510after reading this article..

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ympus-E3.shtml

In reading that article, down towards the endthe author talks about how the E510's output can be tweeked to somewhat mimic the E-3's output by turning both the sharpening and contrast to minus 2 in addition to using the MUTED color rendering. This evening I tried these settings with the exception I only dialed contrast down to -1. The resulting files had a very nice look to them and seemed to have a much softer tone curve, making for easier post processing. I think I'm going to stay with these settings for a while and see how they work over several subjects. Once in the RAW converter I was able to add back as I saw fit to get the final results...

Building storm just south of downtown..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:36 PM   #2

.............these may be the best IQ of all you've posted, IMO, from the 510/70-300. What else to say, I like them all but the Crepe Myrtle are my favorites of the new settings ?
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:07 AM   #3

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the heads up. I actually read that article sometime ago but, for some reason,forgot to try the suggested settings. Your great images have prompted me to make the changes and give them a try.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:33 AM   #4

Once again you've posted some great shots to go with the point you're making. I like them all but I do like thesimple beauty of the last one.

Seems you're on to something with your settings. (bloody e5++ cameras and the 70-300) But I got something out of it as well, I discovered "Olympus Studio" or I should say "Re-discovered" I downloaded it in 2003 and it's lain there dormant until now.

2003 was my first foray into the world of little pixels with my Z4000 and I hadn't a clue what to do with it. This last year or so I've been using Picasa and slowly realizing that I need a little more. Slowly for me. I was raised with a hammer in my hand and still don't know how to type properly

I've been kidding myself that "I'm a purist" that I do it all in the camera. BS really, I really do need more control, especially now I'm experimenting with RAW.

So tonight I'll be looking at Studio, I've just awakened it from it's sleep, now I need to use it. And to check for updates.

Sorry to ramble through your thread Greg, I do like your work though, keep them coming.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:48 PM   #5

Hi Greg,

Quick questions: Have you ever tried using an ec-14 teleconverter with the 70-300mm? If so, how were the results?

The reason for the question, I would like to get more involved in nature photography- specifically birding and am thinking the teleconverter may be auseful tool.

thanks,

Zig

Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:46 PM   #6

Man that lens is sharp! you got yourself more gems Greg! Especially the cityscape.
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 6:31 PM   #7

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg,

Quick questions: Have you ever tried using an ec-14 teleconverter with the 70-300mm? If so, how were the results?

The reason for the question, I would like to get more involved in nature photography- specifically birding and am thinking the teleconverter may be auseful tool.

Nope, not used an EC14 with this lens. I did try it some time back with the 50-200 f2.8-3.5, but that combination didn't even equal the 300mm end of the 70-300.

The EC14 will cost you one stop across the range, so the 70-300 f4-5.6 will become a 98-420mm f5.6-8 zoom, meaning it probably won't autofocus at the long end with most bodies. I think an f8 lens is too slow to work with the E510....not sure about the E3, but most consumer bodies probably won'tautofocus at 420mm.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:08 PM   #8

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response and insight. You just may have saved me a bunch of cash.

Zig
Old Jul 10, 2008, 6:18 AM   #9

Went out with the E-510 and the 70-300mm lens. Settings adjusted to match the ones suggested in your post. The purpose to shoot some flowers in my backyard.Instead found this little guy taking a rest:

no pp, no cropping,done. Just resized.

lily taken as well but with 35mm macro:

Zig

Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:44 PM   #10

A nice suprise guest!

Rain.....is that rain I see on that flower? It's hovering around 100 degrees every day these days around here. It has rained one or two places, but not many. Both shots look to have been taken under some overcast skies, so you did really well keeping things steady at what had to be some slower shutter speeds.