Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:00 PM   #11

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful images, Greg! Haveing been in cathedrals in the Iberian penninsula, I find yourinterior shots of the cathedrals especiallyimpressivesince I know how dark the interiors must have been.

Ted
Yes, almost all were dark to very dark. That one image in Chartres Cathedral was shot at around 1/6 second, with the camera held against a column. I didn't stray beyond ISO 400 too much with the E300 during that trip. These new bodies would make shooting in places like thatmuch easier with the better higher ISO capabilities, but the weight of the heavier lenses (7-14 and 50-200) made holding the outfit relatively easy.

I would like to see what a lens like the 35-100 f2 would have been capable of in some of those places with a camera like the E510 that can give such good results at the higher ISO settings......maybe some day, I'll get that chance!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:40 PM   #12

gwillys wrote:
Quote:
after considering popphotos 'subjective' ratings, alludedto in another thread, i could care less what they have to say about anything. but then i've neverbothered with them anyway. its just marketingtargeting newbies. if you cant find a better source than them, shame on you

Yes, you established in that thread thatthe subjective lens ratings you personally establish are valid and so are the subjective lens ratings you personally collect from other 'net forums, but that PopPhoto's subjective lens ratings are invalid. No one could possibly engage in a discussion of your conclusion, for obvious reasons.

Well, as an owner of five Oly DSLRs (including their first one) I am not about to apologize for my ability to choose an optical/camera body company. What I believe you fail to realize is that:

1. PopPhoto has a huge impact in the digicam market - certainly in the U.S. if not internationally.
2. This has a huge impact indigicam sales- certainly in the U.S. if not internationally.
3. This has an impact on Oly's future development plans.
4. This impacts me personally, as someone invested in the Oly /4/3 system.

If you are not invested in the 4/3 system, you are welcome to ignore PopPhoto articles. I, however, do track those folks because what they saydoes affect me. For example, I would love to have a Perspective Control lens for architectural photos. The PopPhoto article will not increase the likelihood that Oly will produce one. And some of us (Harj included) do a lot of low-light photography. I'd love a ZD 100mmF2 lens as well - I do a lot of photography at 100mm (200mm - 35mm equivalent) as do a lot of other folks.

But if you're mostly shooting in daylight and Oly makesall the lenses you need, I'm happy for you.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:50 PM   #13

well ok ted, if your happy, im happy in case you had'nt noticed, it may be kind of a long wait as far as oly's 100mm. apc lens is a real long shot and wouldnt be so hot on 4/3 anyway. much better implementation on ff. if i needed it, i'd get a d700. or just make one: http://www.creativepro.com/article/b...ns-for-peanuts

if i was you, i'd just get a zeiss zf 100 (200mm - 35mm :lol:equivalent), but whatever trips yer trigger

:|
btw, im pretty well covered in the low light dept and would be happy to make recommendations, so if i can help you out, lemme know.

gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 1:25 AM   #14

The great thing about the internet is, it's almost made buying photomagazines obsolete. People have so many different websites to go to now that not only do better testing, but give real-life sets of images you can download and view on your own to make your mind up. Many people buying DSLR's today have never used anything beyond a point & shoot prior to the year2000amdmay havenever owned a copy of magazines like Pop Photo or Shutterbug.

I think manyput much more weight into reviews onsites like DPReview, DCResource and to a lesser extent others that do an "ok" reviewjob over publications like Pop Photo, although Pop Photo hasn't just stayed behind the times....they do also have their own website with bunches of information.

I used to buy Shutterbug every month at the book store. I've probably been to a book store now MAYBEtwice in the last six months and haven't bought a copy of Shutterbug in a long, long time. I only get Pop Photo today because a photogfriend bought me a one-year subscription for Christmas
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:00 PM   #15

Greg: Can't add anything to the manykudos that the others have already offered. Your photos are absolutely first rate!! It does make me pine for that 7-14mm lens.

As an FYI for everyone: Cameta Camera currently has two (2) of the 7-14 digital Zuikos for sale at $1159. They apparently are pre-owned lens, but classified as mint condition. This price is considerably less than the $1500 price found at other camera sites.

http://secure.cameta.com/index.cfm?f...r=O&sort=1

Anybody have a good excuse to give a wife as to why one needs to spend that kind of money for a single lens?? If so, please share!

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:01 PM   #16

gwillys wrote:
Quote:
apc lens is a real long shot and wouldnt be so hot on 4/3 anyway. much better implementation on ff.
Yeah, making a wide-angle lens for a smaller sensor is hard enough without adding that much larger exit circle you'd need for the lens shift. Oly had made two Shift lenses for their film cameras, a 28mm and a 35mm, but both of those are kinda long lenses for imaging buildings with a 4/3 sensor. Also, the 28mm is now a collector's item - I saw one recently on EBay for over $3000 USD.

Ted

Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:07 PM   #17

gwillys wrote:
Quote:
if i was you, i'd just get a zeiss zf 100 (200mm - 35mmequivalent),
Quote:
btw, im pretty well covered in the low light dept and would be happy to make recommendations, so if i can help you out, lemme know.
Thanks! I didn't know about the Zeiss.Kinda pricey especially for a manual lens, but apparently no question that the optics are first-rate.

I'm finding that most of the time I use the ZD 35-100F2 I'm at the long end, so I'm interested in a good, fast primeat75mm or 85mm. Just becausethat would be easier to move around with - the 35-100 is a big bear. Suggestions would be deeply appreciated - an older manual focus lens is fine but I'd like to stay below $700 or so. If I need superb IQ I'll use the 35-100F2.

Ted
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:33 PM   #18

Hi Ted,

One fast prime coming right up:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...5mm_f_2_0.html

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 4:23 PM   #19

that om 85 is interesting, especially for the price.i've had spotty luck with om's, so i gave up on them. i like my zeiss zf 85 1.4, and cant imagine the high end zuikos have better IQ.

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/46-n...w--test-report
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 5:17 PM   #20

gwillys wrote:
Quote:
that om 85 is interesting, especially for the price.i've had spotty luck with om's, so i gave up on them. i like my zeiss zf 85 1.4, and cant imagine the high end zuikos have better IQ.
Hi G,

And well you should like the Zeiss 85 f1.4!!!

I simply took Ted's statement at face value when he stated that he wanted a fast prime in the 75-85mm range and wanted to keep the price below 700bucks. Further, he would continue to use the 35-100mm F2 when IQ was the issue. Based on that, I thought the 85mm f2.0 was a decent compromise.

I've read good things about the Olympus 85mm F2. The Zuiko 90mm F2 macro as well as the 100m f2 lens are superiorand both would be better choices- I just couldn't find any today when I ran a search.

zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote