Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 11, 2008, 1:12 AM   #1

A couple of years ago, prior to my first trip to Paris, I purchased a 7-14 Digital Zuiko for my E300 outfit and wound up getting some awesome shots, both in France as well as after returning home. I kept it for several months after returningfrom that tripbut eventually sold it on eBay, losing much, muchless that it would have cost to rent one for the same 13 months I used it. I really didn't want to sell it, but it was way more than I needed to keep invested in one lens at that point in time.

Recently I've changed jobs,andwill....soon....be in a position economicallyto pick another one of these up againand actually keep it as long as I want:-). I've gone back and picked some of my favorites I captured while I had this magnificent piece the first time, trying to decide whether I really wanted to buyit again, or maybe the 14-35 f2....

I think the 7-14 is going to win. Of all the lenses I've ever owned, this one packs more "wow" abilitythan any other. The possibility of owning this lens was one of the main reasons why I dumped my Canon outfit back in 2005 and bought an E1. If you are ever... ever in a position to really treat yourself to an optic of this type, you need to try this lens...

St. Etienne DuMont, Paris..

Chartres Cathedral- Chartres, France..

Underneath the Arc du Triomphe..

Underneath the Eiffel Tower..

Inside St. Denis in Paris, burial place of all the French Kings..

Wall and ceiling- Versailles..

Chapel, St. Thomas D'Aquin, Paris..

Also works well with "normal" subjects. My daughter was #33 here when I thought this looked like a cool shot between games during a tournament..

Of all the stadium shots I've ever shot personally, this is my favorite..

I've shot these flags a few times with different camera/lens combinations...this is my favorite of the group..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2008, 6:59 AM   #2

Nothiing else to say, but...........WOW!!!

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 9:26 AM   #3

........yeah, the 2006 Paris photos is when I became a fan of Greg Chappell photography, do you remember Greg?

I've never enjoyed just sitting here looking at 'pictures' more. I've seen them all, many more than one time and for anyone wanting a viewing session of just plain wonderment of photo enjoyment should take a look here

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...01325909_kjGxh

I most likely will never own the Zuiko 7-14mm lens and probably never would learn to use one skillfully but it would be fun trying............

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:48 PM   #4

Hey Bob,

Thanks for posting that link.

Greg, what a splendidgallery. In terms of the sheer number of oustanding photographs, that's probably the finest gallery I've ever seen.........

regards,

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 3:32 AM   #5

man u rock! Thats sime stellar glass!
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 8:41 AM   #6

Beautiful images, Greg! Haveing been in cathedrals in the Iberian penninsula, I find yourinterior shots of the cathedrals especiallyimpressivesince I know how dark the interiors must have been.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 8:25 AM   #7

Hi Greg

Wonderful pics - just shows you how good the 7-14, esp in the right hands. Must have been pretty hard to have given it up, knowing what its capable off.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:11 AM   #8

This thread really emphasizes how silly the August 2008 Pop Photo article on the "best" affordable DSLR is. They reviewed five camera bodies but barely mention the kind of glass you can get for them. Theyranked Oly at the bottom in the "system flexibility" category because it has way fewer lenses available, ignoring the consistently excellent quality ofOly and Leica glass. (I lose a lot of sleep not being able to get the entire Sigma catalog for an Oly, sure I do...)

I think those guys are on recreational pharmaceuticals.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:30 AM   #9

oly is the most flexible of all systems, says i, surveying my inventory of leica r, leica 4/3, zeiss c/y, zeiss zf, tokina, OM, sigma, vivitar, rokkor, hexanon, elicar. most of which cant be properly used on any other dslr.

after considering popphotos 'subjective' ratings, alludedto in another thread, i could care less what they have to say about anything. but then i've neverbothered with them anyway. its just marketingtargeting newbies. if you cant find a better source than them, shame on you
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:54 AM   #10

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg

Wonderful pics - just shows you how good the 7-14, esp in the right hands. Must have been pretty hard to have given it up, knowing what its capable off.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

Yes, it really was. Now though....I will have one by years-end which won't be going anywhere, and by this time next year..... maybe even a35-100 f2too for when I do weddings or just want something to help build muscle tone while I'm out shooting pictures!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote