Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:54 AM   #1

Hi all

I'd thought i'd put all my eggs in one basket and get all my question out the way that have been giving me sleepness nights for the past 2 weeks

I've decided to get rid of the E500 (17.5 - 45mm) as it hasno IS, and the kit lens does'nt excite me.

Reason being that IS lens a too expensive to buy, apart from that a nice DSLR with bags of detail in the Photos.

I'm thinking of either a E510 with 12-60mm f/2.8 - 4.0 or Panasonic DM10 with 15-50mm f/3.8 - 5.6 OIS

1) Which would offer the best optics-image quality... i know the DMC 10 Lens does'nt have the same wide-angle and telephoto + Apeture of the Olympus Lens, but being it a Lecia Lens will it be better

2) do the both have the same 4/3 sensor or is the DMC 10 version slightly tweaked for better results (less noise etc)

3) Does the E510 produce more noise then my E500 (10 megapixels squeezed into the same space ( 4/3 sensor) as 8 Megapixels), or is the 4/3 sensor different than the one in the E500.

4) will we ever see a Olympus 4/3 Lens 14-200mm f/2.0 -f 2.8 as i was looking at a friends FujiFilm Finepix S100FS, and that wide-angle (28mm) to a awesome Telephoto (400mm) is so great to use, buts its only a 2/3 sensor.

5) Does Olympus realise that there a people who would rather use a 1 only lens which does all Wide-angle to telephoto, instad of carry say 2 or 3 different lens when going on a long-haul trip, the space it takes up and the weight, not very good when your holidaying around, the Himalayas. Yes i know there are Bridge Cameras, but can't we have the best of both worlds with a Olympus

E500 (17.5-45mm) Himalayas ( March 2008 )

zack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:36 PM   #2

I was unclear what you were asking about since there's no such thing as a DM10 with a 15-50mm, until I read you subject and realized you were asking about the L10 with the 14-50mm.

Right now you can get the E-510 cheaper since it's being replaced by the E-520 (which some people say is better than the E-510).

This page shows resolution of the various bodies, and the L10 looks like it can show more lines per inch and can even out resolve an E-3 (if you're into measurebating):
http://fourthirds-user.com/2008/07/f...ons_tested.php

Here's a few things I can see that would help you decide...the most important thing is how the combo feels in your hand; I was just debating about getting a second body, and picking up the various bodies helped make my mind up.

Another thing is general picture quality...not just one factor like the resolution link I posted above, but colours, sharpness, etc.

Future possibilities...would not having IS in the body limit your future lens choices IF you really need IS? For me having a 14-50mm IS would be a waste of money (unless I did event photography in places with low lighting)...I've shot handheld 500mm at 1/50th and got a pretty steady shot WITHOUT IS (something the rule says should be impossible); if you got the L10 and you REALLY NEED IS because you aren't steady, that would limit your lens choices to the Leica IS variety which are typically more expensive. With IS in the body of the E-510/520, EVERY lens you put on will then have IS. BTW, putting an IS lens on an IS body is useless and won't work unless you disable IS on either the lens or the body.

No one here should tell you which of the two setups to buy, because it all depends on YOUR needs and desires.

For instance, as I said above I'm looking for a second body, and my primary concern was having live view because I'd use the camera in workshops (connected to a projector). I was torn between the E-330 and E-510. The E-330 has a second sensor so it's not going to hold the shutter open so less wear on the main sensor and the shutter, and it also has a tilt screen. The E-510 has more MP, updated features, more standard body style, and is lighter. I chose the E-330 because it meets my needs better, and obviously my needs are different than yours.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 1:01 AM   #3

zack71 wrote:
Quote:
Hi all

I'd thought i'd put all my eggs in one basket and get all my question out the way that have been giving me sleepness nights for the past 2 weeks

I've decided to get rid of the E500 (17.5 - 45mm) as it hasno IS, and the kit lens does'nt excite me.

Reason being that IS lens a too expensive to buy, apart from that a nice DSLR with bags of detail in the Photos.

I'm thinking of either a E510 with 12-60mm f/2.8 - 4.0 or Panasonic DM10 with 15-50mm f/3.8 - 5.6 OIS

1) Which would offer the best optics-image quality... i know the DMC 10 Lens does'nt have the same wide-angle and telephoto + Apeture of the Olympus Lens, but being it a Lecia Lens will it be better
Quote:
It's a PANASONIC lens, not LEICA. Leica's definitely had designinput and the lens is built to Leica specs, but it was built in a Panasonic factory in Japan....it's a Panasonic-made lens, as all lenses are on Lumix cameras.

2) do the both have the same 4/3 sensor or is the DMC 10 version slightly tweaked for better results (less noise etc)
Quote:
Both use Panasonic-made sensors. The L10 in-camera JPEG images do not look good. You really need to shoot the L10 RAW and then do good post processing to get the best output. The E510 needs some camera set-up adjustments too, to get the best possible output.Your ultimate results will depend more on your own post processing abilities than what happens in-camera with either model.

3) Does the E510 produce more noise then my E500 (10 megapixels squeezed into the same space ( 4/3 sensor) as 8 Megapixels), or is the 4/3 sensor different than the one in the E500.
Quote:
The E510 I'm using is better than either the E1 or E300 bodies I used prior andstill own in terms of high ISO performance. Again, final results will depend a lot on how you set the camera up (the noise filter can be turned off or left on in varying intensities)and thenprocess the image files.

4) will we ever see a Olympus 4/3 Lens 14-200mm f/2.0 -f 2.8 as i was looking at a friends FujiFilm Finepix S100FS, and that wide-angle (28mm) to a awesome Telephoto (400mm) is so great to use, buts its only a 2/3 sensor.
Quote:
No, never. If you look at the Fuji specs closer, by the time you get to that 400mm setting, the maximum afterture is something like f5, not 2.8.
Quote:
Take a look at the size and weight of the35-100 f2 Digital Zuikoand multiply the physical size and weight of that monsterby 2-3x...that probably is what you'd be looking at to build a lens like you're talking about for use on a DSLR...and it'd probably cost $8,000-$10,000.
Quote:
Last year whenI went to Paris, instead of carrying my DSLRI took my Panasonic FZ50, which has a very fast 35-420mm f2.8-3.7 zoom. I also carried the PanasonicDMW-LW55 adaptor that converted the wide end to a very wide 24mm and was very pleased with the results..
Quote:
Even at over 2 years old, I'd pick that FZ50 over the Fuji S100FS every time.

5) Does Olympus realise that there a people who would rather use a 1 only lens which does all Wide-angle to telephoto, instad of carry say 2 or 3 different lens when going on a long-haul trip, the space it takes up and the weight, not very good when your holidaying around, the Himalayas. Yes i know there are Bridge Cameras, but can't we have the best of both worlds with a Olympus

Buy the 14-150mm f3.5-5.6 Panny-Leica zoom. That's as good as you'll do in this system.
Quote:
One-lens options will always be a compromse. You will NEVER see an f2-2.8 for a DSLR-sized sensorbecause of the physical size it would have to be, the weight and what it would wind up costing. The one-lens options will always be on the order of f3.5 on the wide end, slowing to f5.6 or 6.3 on the tele end.
Quote:
I know it is not coming out in time, but the 9-18Digital Zuiko,used with the 18-180 is probably as light weight as you'll ever get directfromOlympus. Yes, it's two lenses, but it's probably going to also get you better image quality than most one-lens options and definitely more coverage.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:14 AM   #4

But surely 5 - 10 years down the line CCD sensors will get smaller but more efficient

Just the same way the Computer CPU are getting Smaller and faster, smaller Transistors, CCD sensors will get smaller (capacitors, photoelectric light sensors, photodiode) better cooling, and better noise control

Smaller Sensor = Smaller Lens

So in a few years time expect to see a E920 with20 Megapixels and a 1/3.2" CCD providing the same quality of images as the E520 (4/3 sensor)but with much better noise control at ISO 1600 to 3200 with a nice 8-400mm f/1.8 - 2.8 Lens

Untill then i'll take the

E510 with 12-60mm f/2.8 - 4.0

FinePix S100FS (2/3 ")

zack71 is offline   Reply With Quote