Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:58 PM   #1

The light was just starting to get low enough I needed ISO 400 early, and800 a little laterto keep the shutter speeds fast enough at the longer focal lengths of my 70-300 Digital Zuiko, especially up close when I used the EX25 tube.

I turned on the noise filter for these images, setting it to low. Every time I've processed an ISO 800 or 1600 image in Studio, if the filter was set to off I've almost always turned it on to Low anyway in post processing, so I just set it in-camera this evening. Contrast set to -1 and sharpening set to -2 in-camera. In the converter I wound up re-setting sharpening to -0- to make up a little for the noise filter being on. If I can ever remember I think I'llmake those adjustmentsat ISO 800 and 1600 from now on...

Here are some shot a little earlier this evening while light levels were a little higher,at ISO 400..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:40 AM   #2

Hi Greg,

To my "tired eyes":shock:, the last shots with the ISO set to 400 look sharper and cleaner with the last image the most pleasing to me.

I have a question for you: Have you taken and used both the 70-300mm and the 40-150mm lens F4-5.6 at any photo shoots that you've done?

Reason for the question is ; I went to another Cape Cod Baseball game last night to watch the son of a friend of mine whocatches for the Hariwch Mariners. Anyways, I started outusingthe 70-300mm lens and then switched to the 40-150mm thinking that from the position I was in too close to first base to effectively frame the shot that I wanted. When I compared the shots from each camera, I preferred the 70-300. The colors and bokeh were just more appealing to my eye.

I tried different ISO settings starting @100 and working all the way up to 1600 as the evening progressed..........

Have you had that same experience?

By the way, Mark Fleury is the boys name. He lives inRoswell, GAand plays college ball at Univ. of North Carolina. Just found out he's received another full scholarship fron UNC for next year.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 8:10 PM   #3

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg,

To my "tired eyes":shock:, the last shots with the ISO set to 400 look sharper and cleaner with the last image the most pleasing to me.
Quote:
Part of that I'm sure has to do with me leaving the noise filter off at ISO 400.

I have a question for you: Have you taken and used both the 70-300mm and the 40-150mm lens F4-5.6 at any photo shoots that you've done?
Quote:
No, the times I've used the 40-150 have been (1) prior to me getting the 70-300, and (2) when I knew the 70-300 would not be allowed, which is at Dallas Stars NHL games at American Airlines arena. The 40-150 worked great for those shots, which I also wound up cropping to make up for the "lost" focal lengths beyond 150mm, but there's little to tell in those shots about depth of field and how out of focus areas look. At those distances (from the upper deck), everything was pretty much in focus.

Reason for the question is ; I went to another Cape Cod Baseball game last night to watch the son of a friend of mine whocatches for the Hariwch Mariners. Anyways, I started outusingthe 70-300mm lens and then switched to the 40-150mm thinking that from the position I was in too close to first base to effectively frame the shot that I wanted. When I compared the shots from each camera, I preferred the 70-300. The colors and bokeh were just more appealing to my eye.

I tried different ISO settings starting @100 and working all the way up to 1600 as the evening progressed..........

Have you had that same experience?
Quote:
The detailin the out of focus areas in images I haveshot with the 70-300 tell me the aperture leaves create a pretty circulardesign when stopped down, which goes a long ways towards abetter out of focus "look". I dolike that "creamy" out of focuslook I see a lot with 70-300 files, especially when I use it with the EX25 tube.Many budget lenses create more octagonal shape aperture settingswith moresquared off sides due to the use of fewer blades and gives a more choppy look in the out of focus areas. I'f have to stop down the lenses with a long shutter speed to get a good look and see if that's the case with the 40-150 vs. the 70-300.

By the way, Mark Fleury is the boys name. He lives inRoswell, GAand plays college ball at Univ. of North Carolina. Just found out he's received another full scholarship fron UNC for next year.
Quote:
That is some good baseball you are watchingthen! UNC had one of the top two or three teams this year. Everyone just ran into a buzz saw in Fresno State at the College World Series.
Quote:
Zig

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:46 AM   #4

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response. As always, a resource of good information.

As for the baseball, the level of play is actuallyquite good. The players are college sophomores-mostly and come from all over the country. The league is invitation only. There are 10 teams located across the Cape Cod area. The furthest any team has to travel is about 30minutes.

The games are very well playedand well attended by people who know their baseball, as well as, baseball scouts,and best of all, you can wander all around the park taking photographs and catching all the action. Cost is a modest donation-usually 4 to 5 bucks.

It's a wonderful way to spend a Summerevening watching future major league baseball players hone their craft.

some alumni: Jeff Reardon, Kevin Millar, Adam Melhuse, Jason Bartlett, Darin Erstad and Boston's own Jason Varitek.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote