Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:17 AM   #1

Hi,

Besides photography, I love to go fishing. One of the benefits of getting up early to go fishing is that you see a lot of beautiful sights in the morning- many you would otherwise miss lying in bed. I always take the camera with me and keep it at the ready. There has been somediscussions lately on the forum relative to shooting in low light and relatively high ISOs.

Here is a shot of the sun coming up this morning. Image was taken with an E-510, 14-45mm F3.5, arpeture priority, ISO800. It was taken about 5:10 this morning.

Not too bad considering the lack of light, the boat in the image moving as was mine,and me not being totally awake. PP consisted of resizing and noise clean up using NeatImage.

regards

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:50 PM   #2

Wow Zig: did I read that right? You took that photo from a moving boat? Great results. The IS really worked well in that shot.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:57 PM   #3

Nice early morning shot Zig, well done. (Makes mental note: Need IS and the 70-300)
The 70-300 obviously wouldn't have worked with this shot. I like the composition and your lighting there.

You're a real boy scout aren't you? "Be prepared"....:-)

Me on the other hand. Got the mast up on my boat on Tuesday and on Wed morning at the crack of 10 we motored out of the channel as a light mist cleared. passing herons and eagles sitting on the beach just yards away. We had a light lunch while waiting for a little wind, then we set the main and spinaker and ghosted south as the wind gathered strength. Steering while looking under the sails at the white capped mountains....magic day......AND NOT A FREEKIN' CAMERA ON THE BOAT.....!!!

Got home and found the new edition of 'outdoor tog' with a special on landscapes. That made up for it.

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 4:35 AM   #4

Good morning guys,

Thanks for the kind words but after looking at this particular shot a couple of times, I realize that it "ain't so good". It looked a whole lot better when I was actually out there...

Steven, yes, my boat was underway-albeit going around 7 knots. The water was almost glass smooth so the boat was a rather steady platform for taking a shot. IS, I'm sure contributed.

Ken, I never go on the boat without including a camera. Most often I havetheOly C-5060wz (a rugged little camera) with me. This time, I brought the E-510. And yes, the 70-300mm was on the camera but I switched lenses when I saw the sunrise. The boat passing by gave the shot some added interest.

Wether your boating, fishing or sailing being on the water is just fantastic. You get to see some spectacular sights that clearly you would not know existed, otherwise.

Zig

Old Jul 18, 2008, 7:53 PM   #5

Yeh Zig, I really do know better. This was first time out and just a run to our morage from the marina. We just made a couple of sandwiches and tossed some drinks in the cooler and went. We'll make up for it though.

Oh yeh, looking at your photo second time...it's really crap....:-)Or maybe it's the modesty that's not so good....but I like the image it conveys.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 8:23 PM   #6

Hmmmm, 5:10am, meaning it was 4:10am where I was, which was in bed! Wasn't even up at 5:10am my time. With my new job, I've been sleeping in until 7am. One thing I have missed are all the great sunrise opportunities I had each morning. Maybe I'll start getting up earlier on the weekends......nah....

Looks pretty darn good to me off a moving boat. Beautiful scene for sure and worth snapping. Thanks for sharing!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:25 PM   #7

HI Zig

Thats a cracking pic ...esp from a moving boat and for that time in the morning !!!!

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 3:45 PM   #8

Hi all,

Thanks to all of youfor the kind comments. It's very much appreciated..............

Zig

Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:10 PM   #9

My friend and I have been trying to do as much research as we possibly can as we are preparing to purchase our first digital slr cameras. We have always loved the Nikon D50 with that being discontinued our love quickly grew with the D80.

Now we have been looking at the Olympus E-510 and are trying to find some portraint samples untouhed, unedited just pics directly straight out of the camera as we have saw what vivid images the Nikon gives. The only differenece we have found between the Nikon D80 and the E-510 is that Nikon does seem to provide more lenses, and from what we have saw and gotten tips from photographers is that some of the best lenses you could use specially for beginners that arent the kit lens one starting at only 140.00 which is pretty decent for a lens from seeing other prices.

Ive been browsing the threads trying to find like a picture thread for the E-510 and am failing, so I was hoping to be pointed in the right direction or if anyone using this camera could share some pics and tips on a first slr.

Oh and the fact of difference between the D80 and the E-510 we found was about a couple hundred dollars. Were just trying to expand our photography skills and while were not ready to invest thousands of dollars just yet this is the main factor for all the research in what we can find for the money we do have that will keep us happy.
lauralei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:57 PM   #10

One of the better sites to go view images captured with Olympus DSLR's is myfourthirds.com..

http://myfourthirds.com/

Not sure how many of what you're looking for that you'll find, but it's fun looking.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote