Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:04 PM   #1

I have an E-510 with their 2 kit lenses and the "standard," 70-300 digital zoom lens. Prior to these purchases, I had, in my inventory, several OM legacy lenses for my ole' OM2n. I purchased the Olympus adapter that allows using those lenses onto the 510. I had some good and some not so good results using the OM lenses.

I decided to purchase an adapter from a Chinese dealer which offered focus confirmation using the legacy glass. The adapter arrived and it had the dandelion chip attached.

Unfortunately, the instructions that accompanied the adapter make no sense and after trying on my own I've just about given up. Evidently the settings should be initially set to 'A' mode and then dial or set the camera to f-1.4.

Anyone have any clue or can point me in the rightr direction as how to set this arrangement up??
thanks
RDH-Cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:33 PM   #2

Hi: Read the following instructions for the latest 4th generation OM AF confirmation chip now being sold by Jinfinance. There are some good tips for the use of this on the Evolt cameras, and specific OM lenses.

Hope this helps. This particular e-bay store has a good reputation and stands behind its products.

Good luck

Steven R.
http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-Confirm-OM-fo...713.m153.l1262
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:29 PM   #3

Here's the sterps he listed.

Seems like 2 and 3 are reversed.

Anyway, still doesn't seem to work. I'll email him to see what he can tell me

[align=left]1) mount the adapter (with the lens)[/align]

[align=left]2) Set the camera to A (aperture priority) or M (manual) mode[/align]

[align=left]3) Set the camera to the modes you want ('S-AF', 'C-AF', 'MF', 'S-AF + M', or 'C-AF + M', [highlight= #ffff00]YES, the AF chip will work in all those modes)[/align]

[align=left]4) turn on the camera, and an aperture value of f2.8 (in future, might change to other values) will show up[/align]

[align=left]5) the AF confirm indicator in viewfinder will light up whenever the subject is in focus, and camera will beep [highlight= #ffff00](except in 'MF' mode.. which it will only light up the AF confirm indicator).[/align]

[align=left]6) In general, 'AF confirm' will work for aperture value down to f/8 (indoors, if you need to go further, focus above f/8 then stop down), or f/22 (bright light, outdoors)[/align]

[align=left][/align]
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:54 AM   #4

Hi Rdh,

I realize that your post has to do with the use of the AF confirm chip but have you tried using "Liveview" to finetune the focus when using OM lenses?

I have a few OM lenses as well and contemplated getting the Auto-confirm adapater for my E-510. Then I started thinking about the types of shots I would most likely be taking with the OM lenses and realized most all would be of static objects. In that regard, Liveview works great. The steps are rather straightforward and best of all you can see how sharp your image is going to be prior to taking it.

zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 9:53 AM   #5

Hi RDH,

did some surfing today and found this relative to the Dandelion autoconfirm chip...

http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=351

This might be what you're looking for.

The internet, aaahhhhh, what a wonderful thing
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:37 PM   #6

I ordered my Minolta MD to 4/3rd from Jin.....took forever to get it of course but he is a good vendor.

As for the product....I see it as being a bit over kill. I find myself using my manual focus lenses now more than my digital lenses. It takes a bit more patience but I auto focus has ruined more than its share of "at the moment" shots for me.
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:03 PM   #7

hey ss, did you get RJ's md/mc adapter with the fc chip? he sent me one - hasnt gotten here yet. i dont think it will work (fc) on my e1, so i'll give it a go on my e500. its programmable, he emailed the instructions, but i dont have a IS camera so thankfully i dont have to mess with it.

how has the vivitar worked out?

re instructions: RDH-Cincy, if youd like the 2 .doc's (170kb) for programming the chip, lemme know.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:46 PM   #8

Please send those instructions [email protected]

thx
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:48 AM   #9

IRT Gwill

No apoligies I did not specify.....it was the normal adapter. The Vivitar is doing great work...I am going to post up a nice batch shortly instead of oneies and twoies
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:04 PM   #10

RDH-Cincy wrote:
Quote:
Please send those instructions [email protected]

thx
in case you didnt get them, use this:

http://rapidshare.com/files/131649097/docs.zip.html
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote