Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:21 PM   #1

Like many photo enthusiasts, I like to print my own photos. But in considering an Olympus camera for myself, I have to wonder just how much attention do most Olympus DSLR owners pay to typical photo paper size when framing photos? One is pretty much stuck with 4x6 paper at the small end of the range. Do they just default up to something like 8x10? Or do they spend time making sure they leave a bit more room at the top and bottom of the photo? For 4x3-formatted images, many photo printers, my own included, will leave white borders at the wide ends and attempt to push the upper and lower edges of the photos as far as they can - resulting in the tops of heads being chopped off, etc. Of course, most point-and-shooters have this same problem - but I think it's safe to say that most point-and-shooters don't print most of their own photos. Just wondering.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:16 PM   #2

Biro wrote:
Quote:
Like many photo enthusiasts, I like to print my own photos. But in considering an Olympus camera for myself, I have to wonder just how much attention do most Olympus DSLR owners pay to typical photo paper size when framing photos?
Absolutely none at all....I make my Photo's fit the size paper I plan to print WITHOUT losing any part of the image.

This is typical. I just ordered this 20x30 with a full image I took of the Eiffel Tower back in 2006 with my 7-14 Zuiko. I created a 20x30 background, used a complementary color from the image for that background and gave the image a drop shadow. I'm framing this without a matt in a black 20x30 frame..

When it comes to printing at home, 4x6 is a waste...the smallest size I print at home is letter size. It's the one size where I can print at home and it makes economic sense vs. ordering nice prints on lustre paper from Smugmug.

When I do a print project at home it's typically trip or project-related, so I like to do the same type stuff as above, just on a smaller scale. Plain prints are so.....1995. I'd rather dosomething people can look at without having to ask me where it was or what it is. This is a verysmallsample setof what I did with my Paris images back in 2006...again....absolutely no cropping needed on any image shotwhen you do this type stuff...

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...03691012_rvhG6

When it comes to doing someone for someone else, Smugmug offers a full set of no-crop print size options for users of cameras producing images with 4:3 cameras and they work great. The "4x6" prints, which are 4x5.3 and fit inside 4x6 proof books very nicely, "8x10", which winds up being 8x10.6 and they do fit inside 8x10 frames, allowing you to position the image as you want vs. having to crop something off.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. I think I have to agree with your assessment of 4x6 prints. But I do print some of these for friends and relatives with an Epson PictureMate Personal Photo Lab (yeah, right...). I really have to check out Smugmug.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:44 PM   #4

i use qimage most of the time. my kodak 1400 takes 8 1/5 X 14 paper & prints up to 8x12,or combining what ever sizes will fit.kind of a pain but works ok for me. im a dye sub guy. 5x7 & 8x10 are good for 4/3.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote