Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:18 AM   #1

There's some interest in discussing the E-330, so rather than highjacking someone else's thread, I've decided to start a new thread.

HarjTT wrote in http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=36
Quote:
Well done on the new cam's ... and it'd be great to see some pics and have some feedback from you both, esp reg the E330.
I bought an E-330 two days ago...ok it's been on the market for two years and I only paid $300, but it's almost brand new (open box in store, only 200 shutter activations). My reason for upgrading was for doing portrait workshops so people can see it live, rather than just seeing the finished picture (I do this in a 180 seat auditorium)...but with the added features I may just use it as my regular camera now, and only use the E-300 for bad weather or in places I don't want to risk the new camera.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:28 AM   #2

One of my comments that I posed on another forum:

I admit I'm a newbie when it comes to the E-330 (having bought it only two days ago), but I've been an E-300 user for three years. Now this may have been discussed before, but I NEED to rant about it.

Whoever designed the One Touch White Balance (OTWB) function on the E-330 has never used a camera, and I'm surprised no one here has raised (and continued to raise) a stink about it until Olympus fixed it!

First of all, why isn't there a OTWB shortcut in the menu, so that if you have the drive/fn key programmed to drive or DOF, you can still use the OTWB without having to change the function of the key to OTWB.

Second, why do you need to press two buttons at once to engage the OTWB?

Third, since it IS required to press two buttons, why didn't they make it so that it doesn't matter what function was assigned to the drive/fn key...the camera sees you holding down the drive/fn button and pressing the shutter it SHOULD know that you want to do a OTWB!

I realize the odds of Olympus fixing this BLUNDER on a discontinued camera is less than them improving the performance of Studio, but this is a shameful glitch that doesn't deserve to be ignored, especially since they had several firmware updates already where they could have fixed the problem.

p.s. Why is there only certain frame assists in one live view mode, and not the other...I wish that the mode B frame assists were also available in mode A.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:36 PM   #3

Hey Mike

Thanks for the first thoughts - interesting read, esp when I would have thought the ergonomics from the E300 to 330 would have been pretty similar.

What about IQ, noise and DR - I keep seeing lots of comments on the various forums about the kodak sensor's IQ over the panasonic NMOS, and the OLy colours ? Ive not realy noticed a difference in terms of colour going from my e1 to the E3 but I'm curious if you have between the two E3XX cam's.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 8:39 PM   #4

Admittedly I'm not someone who takes a lot of pictures, in three years I've yet to reach 8000 with my E-300, and I might have taken 20 so far with the new camera (all deleted), although I liked what I saw on the LCD, shooting in Vivid mode.

A week prior though when I first went to the store, I was almost tempted by the E-510 since it was only $100 more, so I went home empty handed and did a lot of reading on both cameras, especially user reviews from people who own both cameras, and in terms of colour and
dynamic range people prefered their E-330s...a few did complain about a banding issue with the E-330, but the way they described it the problem sounded more like poor resizing rather than a camera fault.

A couple of other features I have an issue with:

- Protect feature. On the E-300 the OK button doubles as the Protect button (when you want to protect an image from being deleted). On the E-330, if you press the OK button it actually marks the image for DELETION!!! In other words when you think you are preventing images from being deleted, you're doing the exact OPPOSITE!

- Menu Layout. On the E-300 things made sense, the first shooting menu was a duplicate of the buttons so you almost never went into it, the second shooting menu was the default menu and it would default to drive (the second item in that menu). The first setup menu has things you would change occasionally while the second setup menu has the stuff you set once but almost never changed.

On the E-330 the first default item is card setup (erase/format). Things that you'd change often AND change rarely are split between shooting menus 1 AND 2. Live View Boost (something that you would toggle often whether you were doing live view in the daytime or nighttime is buried on the third page of Setup Menu 1.

Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:24 PM   #5

Hi Mike,

Congratulations on gettingyour E-330........and at $300 that's a greatbuy!!! (IMO).

You mentioned that one of the reasons you bought the E-330 was to be able todisplay portrait work in "liveview". I'm curious to hear from you if it meets your needs- i know you've probabably not had a chance to do that yet as you've only had the unit a couple of days. It's certainly a different way of displaying an example, though.

You also mentioned that you've read comments from users relative to their preference for the E-330 over the e-510 when it comes to DR and color. Realizing that you made it clear that you don't take a lot of photos, it would still be of greatinterest to me , and i'm sure others,if you would/could, at your leisure, post a photo or 2 of what you think is a good example of color and DR.

I'm not trying to put you on the spot- just that with the prices of the E-330 and E-1 being as attractive as they are, I'm debating on getting a low cost back up. Really hadn't considered the E-330 'til your post.

Good luck!!!

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:42 PM   #6

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
You mentioned that one of the reasons you bought the E-330 was to be able todisplay portrait work in "liveview". I'm curious to hear from you if it meets your needs- i know you've probabably not had a chance to do that yet as you've only had the unit a couple of days. It's certainly a different way of displaying an example, though.
Here's some background...I'm one of the people who help run the Toronto Camera Club...we have our own building and 180 seat auditorium, so doing things like portrait workshops can have a very big audience, so we use a digital projector and with most dSLRs you can see the control panel screen, and the playback of the final image, but you can't see the setup what the photographer sees in the viewfinder (unless you revert to a digicam).

In 2006 we had a guest portrait photographer, Jean Francois O'Kane aka The Studio Coach, http://www.thestudiocoach.com/ He did a portrait workshop to a packed hall, and the camera he used was an E-330, and it worked out very well with the camera connected to the digital projector.

I saw him since then at a photography show, and at the time he was using an E-510 (this was before the E-3 and E-520 came out). I admit I was curious if he was still using Olympus since Sony had their version of a live view camera, not to mention the "C" brand's live view.

Now why didn't I get the E-5xx instead of the E-330? Well I was worried about burning out the shutter motor if I did a lot of live view since on the E-5xx cameras they have to hold the shutter open for the duration of using live view (something that always bothered me). Also I love the fact the E-330 has a tilt screen so I can use it for my own shoots like a TLR (Twin Lens Reflex) where you're looking down at a large viewfinder.

From that experience I'm sure it will meet my needs, although I still wish for the grids to be shared equally between both live view modes, and a dedicated One Touch White Balance button.

Old Jul 26, 2008, 8:14 PM   #7

Hi Mikefellh

I don't really see the problem of otw you set the function button to otw the camera asks you to point to a sheet of white paper while holding this button in I use my thumb not awkward in my opinion and take picture if white balance not ok camera tells you to take it again if successful then press ok after pic otw now ok same as E3 only difference E3 gives you option of 4 user WB options to save to.

The build quality of the E330 is also good and I do like the Design as you can use FL50 Flash and Built in Flash at same time, I use Built in flash as fill when fl50 bounces of something, stops the shadows in the eyes.

PlusI Shoot in Raw for anything important and tend to fix wb in post process if needs fixing.

For $300 you got a great buythis camera was £899 when new $1786

In my opinion the E330 was to initiative for dull people, magazine didn't give it the credit it deserved. the only criticism I could give it was it only has 3 auto focus points and iso over 400 gets a little messy. Problem with a lot of early cameras but Olympus addressing these problems and solved with the E3 oh and the viewfinder but Olympus pulled a rabbit out of the hat with the E3 viewfinder.

If anyone wants a E330 as a backup camera thenI can say you shouldent be disapointed. Itstill has so much to offer.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 7:45 PM   #8

Dangerous Brian wrote:
Quote:
I don't really see the problem of otw you set the function button to otw the camera asks you to point to a sheet of white paper while holding this button in I use my thumb not awkward in my opinion

If anyone wants a E330 as a backup camera thenI can say you shouldent be disapointed. Itstill has so much to offer.
THE issue I have with having to press two buttons is not complexity, as I've been doing OTWB with the E-300 for years...it's the stress on the camera by having to press two buttons, the same complaint I had about the AEL button on the E-300 having to be held putting excessive stress on the circuit board for that button (which they had fixed on the E-330).

When you do OTWB you are usually holding the camera with one hand, and holding the sheet with the other hand, so all of the weight of the camera is on your thumb and four fingers. Think about all that weight and pressure on your thumb, pressing on the DRIVE/FN button to use OTWB, it won't be long before you crack the circuit board the DRIVE/FN button is connected to, or at least damage the DRIVE/FN button. THAT is the problem I have with having to hold down two buttons.

If it was designed so that you didn't have to HOLD it down (like the AEL was redesigned so you didn't have to hold it down), or even better if there was an actual menu shortcut for OTWB, then I would never have mentioned it!!!

Anyways, we aren't talking about a $300 backup camera, we're talking about a full time camera that sold for over $1000 because that is what it originally sold for, and I'm surprised no one made a fuss about the issues I've raised.

If I had bought the E-330 two years ago I would have been on the phone to Olympus every day until they fixed it, and it should have been fixed in firmware 1.1!

Old Jul 29, 2008, 9:19 AM   #9

Evidently Olympus is floating the E-330 Live view LCD out there to see what interest there is for it now.

I subscribed to the E-510 newsletter when I bought my 510. This month a full blown ad for the E-330 was in the newsletter with video and everything. It said "Take a look at the EVOLT E-330 Live View LCD in action" and then has a video showing it in action with sample pictures and all.It looks like it's probably the ad they used when they first announced the E-330. I actually clicked on it to see if Olympus was selling it again. They aren't and the click took me to archived products but I thought "How funny" that Oly would include this in a E-510 newsletter.

If I knew how to include a link to the newsletter I would.

DonR

http://donr.zenfolio.com/

d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:04 PM   #10

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
If I knew how to include a link to the newsletter I would.
Do you mean you don't know how to enter the link into the message (just copy & paste it), or is there no link to a copy of the newsletter (is there a line in the email that says, "if you can't read this email, click here" which will send you to a webpage version of the email).

How about this idea...I PM/Email my email address to you and you send me a copy...would that be ok?