Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:45 PM   #1

Had a chance to go to a couple of more Cape Cod Baseball Leaguegames last week and brought the 70-300mm lens. I think i'm sort of getting the hang of using this lens. All shot in Arpeture priority, with ISO set at 1600. I think I get the best results setting the arpeture value at F7.1. With a bright but falling late afternoon sun these settings gave me about 1/1250th sec shutter speed. Anything less than 1600 and my shutter speed just dropped like a rock and the resultant blur was unacceptable.

All shot in RAW and PP in Elements 6.0. noise cleaned up with NeatImage. Still missing a lot of shots but I'm starting to do a better job( IMHO)at anticipating where to be and how to frame the image.

This coming Saturday is the All Star game and I'm planning on attending. Should be a whale of a game.

Zig

no pp on this last image - just straight out of the cam.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:49 PM   #2

I really like your angle of #2 and the capture of the ball off the bat....that's really good(!), and the dirt flying up as the runner dives back into first in #3. These are some really nice shots.

The times I really kick myself are the plays where I get into simply watchingthe game and forget to bring the camera up when a great photoopportunity presents itself.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:48 PM   #3

Hi Zig

Thats a really nice series of pics - seriously cool and makes me wish someone was playing baseball here as well

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:40 PM   #4

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
I really like your angle of #2 and the capture of the ball off the bat....that's really good(!), and the dirt flying up as the runner dives back into first in #3. These are some really nice shots.

The times I really kick myself are the plays where I get into simply watchingthe game and forget to bring the camera up when a great photoopportunity presents itself.
Hi Greg,

I got lucky on the shots slightly behind the plate (shot2),as you know, those areas are usually packed with people and it's difficult to get close to the fence. This time, people saw my camera with the big ol' 70-300mm fully extendedand sort of stepped aside. I got to stay in that position for quite a bit of time. But as you said, all of a suddden youfind that you're watching the game instead of anticipating what's going to happen next-result you miss a lot of potenitally great shots.

One thing I have realized, by concentrating on taking pictures and planning on what next to do, I'm really into the game a lot more and you do 'see" more of the game- it's quite a bit of fun.

Hi Harj,

Thanks for the response. BTW, sorry to hear about yourFL50 "crashing and burning" Hope you manage to salvage it.

Just wanted to close by saying that I'm not going to bore you guys anymore with baseball photos using the 70-300mm. I've had a lot of fun doing this and it's been a great learning experience. I've a long way to go yet before I'll be happy with my skill level.But enough is enough -Scouse probably hates me by now.

My reason for this postwas that all the images were taken witha high ISO -1600, all were taken hand held, and all were taken with an E-510 and a 350dollar lens- total investment less than $900. Believe me, I have have no delusions, these shots aren't goingappear on any magazines or newspapers. The image qualityis, however, good enough for my needs and quite a bit better than anything I thought I'd get based on all the knocks I've read about the E-510's marginal quality shooting with high ISO settings. I'm also happy to see that IS in the E-510 works and the IQ of the 70-300mm is just fine.

:|

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote