Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:44 PM   #1

Hi

I've been using my E500 ( 17 to 45mm F3.5-5.6) for about 2 years, and yesterday i was using my e500 on a very sunny day out in Edinburgh. I also took along my compact 'Panasonic fx10' (35mm to 105mm f2.8-5.2) 6mp Cam

I was very happy with the photos of both camera which i set to ISO 100 and to Auto mode, I can see some noise on the Fx10 even at ISO 100, while the E500 images a amazing at ISO 100, but i have to say the Panasonic 1/2.5" sensor is giving 4/3" a good run for its money.

But !!

because I'm taking photos of a city in bright sunny conditions I find that the e500 has lost details in the bright white areas of city buildings.

I have taken a few photos to show you and you can see the results better in Test 2, while the fx10 pictures are ok the e500 photos has lost detail.... WHY

Is it because.

a) the Kodak sensor in the e500 does this in bright light

b) i'm using the e500 in 'auto mode' as i always have

c) my lens, are kit lens and this is the reason

d) not using the exposure button +/- button to darker

I just want to know if this is a human error or something the e500 always does in bright sunny conditions as i have always used in just in 'auto mode', ive never updated my firmware.

Finally does the E510 have this problem

thanks

The Test pictures re-sized to 800 x 600

E500 Test Pic 1

FX 10 Test Pic 1

E500 Test Pic 2

FX 10 Test Pic 2

E500 Test Pic 3

FX10 Test Pic 3

DSLR user 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2008, 3:58 AM   #2

Hi friend,

I'm not so experienced but I'll take a stab at this one. You'd probably do well to consider some of the oppionions posted below this, especially from the more experienced members (of which there are many).

a) Not sure that it is the sensor exactly, but the kodak seems to have slightly higher contrast. It might be just a difference in the default "auto" settings of the camera.

b) Yes quite possibly. I notice some slightly blown out areas in your E-500 shots. if you set it to shutter or apeture priority (or manual) you should be able to tone down the highlights. (note this will also tone down the other areas of your shot, but you will be able to find the "middle road" with your own experimentation.

c) No I doubt the kit lens has anything to do with this. More expensive lenses have the ability to be lighter in low light conditions (among other things), but I don't think you would see a dramatic difference in Auto mode from a more expensive lens

d) Yes using the exposure compensation may help in your situation. I don't really have any experience with this function, so I can't state that it will.

E510) The default auto settings may be different. I'm not aware that the e510's sensor can solve this problem though.

Like I said above, this is an attempt at an explanation only. I'm sure other members can more descriptively give their information based on experience and general knowledge. Cheers.
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 6:31 AM   #3

Neither film nor most sensors can really capture the entire luminance range of a daylit scene very well. I keep both my E500 and E3 set to a default Contrast of -1, and adjust the final contrast in post processing. That can be a pain if you have a lot of images to do, but for me it gets the best results.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 7:12 AM   #4

kind of a shame to use your camera in auto

seems like your e500 shots are overexposed relative to the fx10 shots, so you could assume they are metering differently. start using aperture priority mode,experiment withdifferent metering modes,expose forthe highlights, use exposure compensation, use the histogram, a circular polarizing filter would help when theres alot of bright sky. you have to think ahead to what you can do in pp with whatever software you have. its usually better to underexpose a little. your e500 has far greater capabilities if you learn to use it.

exposure bracketing would get the most from scenes like that :?

- maybe get some better glass?

gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:31 AM   #5

DSLR user 1 wrote:

Is it because.

a) the Kodak sensor in the e500 does this in bright light

b) i'm using the e500 in 'auto mode' as i always have

c) my lens, are kit lens and this is the reason

d) not using the exposure button +/- button to darker

I just want to know if this is a human error or something the e500 always does in bright sunny conditions as i have always used in just in 'auto mode', ive never updated my firmware.

Finally does the E510 have this problem

Hi,

a, Maybe but photo #3 shooting in bright sun is not easy to capture without blowing out the sky for any camera-without making some sort of adjustments.

b,yep, try using the aperture priority mode and adjust settings to suit the situation

c no, the lens is not the culprit, although a polarizing filter would work wonders for improving the colors of sky.

d, maybe

Human involvement would improve your results and no, the e-510 isn't the answer.

Regardless of how I frame a response I know that I would appear to be rude, So, I apologize upfront. But my intent is not to offend you.

If you're happy with the results you're getting with the Panasonic, then I would keep it and sell the E-500, which, is a great camera. By using it in auto mode exclusively, you're really treating it aaa point and shoot which defeats the purpose ofhaving aDSLR. No, the e-510 wouldn't dramatically do anything to improve your results.

The best advice I can give you is to get to know your camera and how to get the best results from it.A good starting point is at Wrotniak.net a website maintained by Andrejz Wrotniak and deals with all things having to do with Olympus cameras. Here is a link to your camera and how to get the most out if it.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e500-rev.html

There are a number of other articles that are on that particular site that would be of great help.

Olympus also has a number of good tutorials that deal with specific shooting situations on their website.

John Foster's website,http://www.biofos.com/ is a wonderful site for information relative to your camera.

Be adventurous and use the camera in a mode that gives you, the operator, control of the camera and not the other way around.

Good Luck !!!!

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:33 AM   #6
OCD

DSLR user 1, the photographs show simple variations in how each camera meters the scene, and no two cameras will ever do it in exactly the same way, especially as each meter is likley to be set to cover different areas in the frame. So in some pictures the E500may beoverexposing or underexposing, but in other pictures the FX10may beoverexposing or underexposing.

It is pretty much down to the photographer to sort this out and dial in either exposure compensation, or alternatively meter off suitable tones so as not to get areas overexposed. Its the old 'shift me mother I'm burning' adage, if you see a problem do something about it rather than regret later. I'm sure both cameras will have highlight/shadow warnings available in the LCD, and also a histogram to consult which should tell you immediately if anything is over or underexposed. Aside from the first photo in the set the FX10 is the one making the poorest exposures in all the other examples, so I don't reallyunderstand the concern about the E500?

Steve

OCD is offline   Reply With Quote