Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:02 PM   #11

Car-Snapper wrote:
Quote:
I will post the outcome when I get them back.
In the meanwhile, how about posting a couple or 3 of your GP car shots from over the years.

I got into GP racing just a little before '66, When Aintree became the venue for a while. First time out when Wolfgang Von Trip lost it at the Canal turn and got sort of damp. So they raced it the other way about after that..:-)

Saw Moss and Fangio when they both raced for Merc there, as well as Phil Hill the year he won the WC. As well as a guy named Graham Hill.

Sorry to say all my photos have gone missing over the years and countries I've lived in. I still have however a box of slides from the first...and only Long beach Grand Prix. John player special and all them guys. Andretti won in his his usual fashion, hang back and hope someone breaks..!

Sorry about your camera problems, like you I love my E500 just wish it had IS.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:58 PM   #12

If I could get my website to download I would put a selection on there. All my files are too big to go on here and I don't have time to resize them.

I was at the Aintree 500 when Jack Brabham won. First time he had won a race in his own car. He autographed my programme but I lost it. Typical! I seem to remember Jim Clark went off the back of the circuit and went backwards through a green-house. He also drove in the sports car race (Lotus 30) and the saloon car race (Lotus Cortina) can you imagine our present crop of prima donnas doing that?
Car-Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:42 PM   #13

Car-Snapper wrote:
Quote:
If I could get my website to download I would put a selection on there. All my files are too big to go on here and I don't have time to resize them.

I was at the Aintree 500 when Jack Brabham won. First time he had won a race in his own car. He autographed my programme but I lost it. Typical! I seem to remember Jim Clark went off the back of the circuit and went backwards through a green-house. He also drove in the sports car race (Lotus 30) and the saloon car race (Lotus Cortina) can you imagine our present crop of prima donnas doing that?
Ah! The good old days.. :-)No, I couldn't see these PD's doing that now. Moss and Fangio raced the merc sports cars back that year as well. The one where the boot (trunk) lid lifted for an airbrake...whooo hooo as they shimmied into the corner. Moss always swore that Fangio let him through on the last corner for a home boy win. Fangio of course denied it.

Met Brabham at LAX one year when I lived and worked there. Nice guy.

Thanks for the flash back... Ken
Old Aug 14, 2008, 6:06 PM   #14

Hi Ken, It was the Aintree 200 in 1964 that Brabham won. He was a very nice man, I remember sitting on the back wheel of his car in the Brands Hatch paddockwhile he sat on the front wheel and having a really good chat about negative camber as I recall. Lorenzo Bandini was another nice guy, a real gentle man, so sad he died the way he did. Mike
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:27 AM   #15

I was born and raised around that area. Grand National or Grand Prix, us kids would climb the railings, goacross the cemetery, over the railway and onto the course. Dodging 'steelchest' the local bobby.....Bloody scousers..!

Later I joined the sports car club there and did laps on the shortened infield circuit. Got to drive some fun cars as a lot of members liked to share rides. Best was a D-Type, one of the team from LeMans. Now that was cool.
I remember upsetting one guy though just because I equaled the (class) lap record in his brand new Lotus. Forgotten now whether it was the Elan or Elite, the first of those. He thought I was going to prang his baby....

Sorry, got to rambling on a Friday morning, not much going on in the real estate biz formetoday.

Ken
Old Aug 15, 2008, 5:07 PM   #16
OCD

Quote:
Moss and Fangio raced the merc sports cars back that year as well. The one where the boot (trunk) lid lifted for an airbrake...whooo hooo as they shimmied into the corner. Moss always swore that Fangio let him through on the last corner for a home boy win. Fangio of course denied it.
Thats pretty specialseeing the SLRat Le Mans and the W196 at the British Grand Prix in such a significant year, never mind the drivers at the wheel!

Steve
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:51 AM   #17

Well, I got the camera and lens back from the Portugal repair centre. The movement between the lens and camera has been reduced but there is still a little. I have not had a chance to try it out on moving subjects yet but will post an update when I do.