Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 30, 2008, 6:01 PM   #1

Hi All,

I've been thinking about getting an E-1 body, largelydue tothe attractive pricing that i've recently seen and mostly because of the images thatI keep seeing on various sites. The colors are just wonderful. The main item holding me back has been lack of image stabilization. Then I remembered the Panny Leica D 14-50mm with in lens IS.

To me, that would be a great combination.

I'm curious if any of you forum members have any experience with that particular combination and how you like it.

Your response would be much appreciated.

:|

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2008, 7:12 PM   #2

Hi, Zig

'Dunno about the Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 on an E-1, but that lens is my working lens on both my E-3 and my E500. I've thought about the ZD 12-60 but I emotionally like having theLeica's ISon the E500 and I can't afford both the Leica on the E500 plus the ZD 12-60 on the E3. But I can't imagine that you would be unhappy with the Leica.

All that said,keep in mind that IS isn't all that effective at shorter focal lengths, and 100mm (35mm equivalent) is around the borderline for when IS starts to become effective. So though I like having the Leica's IS, I don't have any actual measurements to prove that it's effective. The effectiveness of IS is basically impossible to quantitively measure, which is why thereviews provide subjective resultsof IS measurements rather than quantativemeasurements.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 1:32 PM   #3

Hey Ted,

Thanks for your response.

If the Panny is your working lens on both the E-500 and the E-3, do you see a significant difference in DR, IQ, and overall color between shots taken with the E-3/Panny vs the E-500/Panny?

I continue to struggle between getting an E-3 and with it an Oly 14-54mm lens (my budget would not allow me to get both the Panny and the E-3) or just buy an E-1 and get a lens with built-in IS.

I keep looking at photos done with an E-1, and am totally impressed with the IQ. As for IS, in a short focal length, I knowyour correctwhen it comes to an average person with no tremors. But for me, it would be indispensable.

BTW, did you ever get the Oly 100mmf2 OM lens?...............waslooking forwardto seeing some results posted at your convenience

Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:54 PM   #4

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I keep looking at photos done with an E-1, and am totally impressed with the IQ. As for IS, in a short focal length, I knowyour correctwhen it comes to an average person with no tremors. But for me, it would be indispensable.

BTW, did you ever get the Oly 100mmf2 OM lens?...............waslooking forwardto seeing some results posted at your convenience
Hi Zig

I just received the OM adapter yesterday - it appears to have come over from the slowest boat from China there is. But it is a quality adapter like you advised. All I've done so far is snapped a few shots and they tell me that Oly 100mmF2 is indeed a quality lens. But it will be a while before I have the opportunity to shoot with it a lot (and compare it on the E500 vs the E3) - I only have time to do that on weekends and it normally rains here in MD on weekends. With the weather here, I'd rather live in the Seattle area - the same weather but a more beautiful place to live...

I never had the E1, and I bought the E3 for the high-ISO performance which I need and which has not disappointed me. What camera do you have now? Because it seems to me that another consideration is the E510with IS, and so another question is whetherthe E-3 with its IS, would take better images than the E510 with IS. My impression from my limited patience with following the Oly forum on DPReview is that folks there feel that the E3 has great IQ. 'Dunno if it's as good as the E1's IQ or the E510's. I guess if I were you I'd spend some timesearching DPReview to see if folks compared the IQ of the E-1, E3, and E510. All that said, the E1 and E3 seem to be regarded as having way more image depth than the E5XX cameras.

It's been a long day and I apologize if the above doesn't make sense...

Ted
Old Jul 31, 2008, 7:19 PM   #5

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your response and no need to apologize...............

Yes, unfortunately the shipment time from China to the States is by slooooow boat. But as you mentioned, the quality seems to be just fine and theres' no arguing with the price. Good luck with it and the Oly 100mmf2 lens.

As for me, I have an E-510. I upgraded from the E-500 last year, mainly because of the built-in IS. Overall, I'm happy with the camera-warts and all. My beef is with the small OPV and the tendency to blow out highlights in very bright-high contrast situations.

When I compare the results I get with the E-510 against some of the photos I've taken using the E-500, the colors seem to be better from the E-500. I know that some of the differences can stem from the fact that the settings that I'm currently using are different than the settings used with the E-500. The settings were changed due to trying to improving contrast and reducing blowing out the highlights. SinceI no longer have the E-500, I can't replicate the situations or perform any kind of a realistic test.

Certainly, at the price pointat whichI got the E-510, I cannot complain. The camera generally takes fine photos. It has more features than I really ever use-but I'm getting better at learning how to use it.

Human nature being what it is, the grass is always greener, etc. I also fall victim to the notion that If I only had..........an E-xxx or the latest and greatest SWD lens, I too can become the next great photographer. ...............

The reality is that I really need to improve my skill set and stop blaming my equip.

Hope your days go better...... So, it rains only on the weekends at your place too?

Zig
Old Jul 31, 2008, 7:51 PM   #6

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ted,

Yes, unfortunately the shipment time from China to the States is by slooooow boat. But as you mentioned, the quality seems to be just fine and theres' no arguing with the price.
Quote:
As for me, I have an E-510. I upgraded from the E-500 last year, mainly because of the built-in IS. Overall, I'm happy with the camera-warts and all. My beef is with the small OPV and the tendency to blow out highlights in very bright-high contrast situations.
Hi, Zig

I forgot to mention that I appreciated that the adapter came with a 4/3 rear lens cap - they're not very expensive unless you consider your time to order one, and the fact that the shipping on one is way more than the cost of one...

In terms of the blown-out highlight complaints I see on Oly cameras, that just confuses me. I honestly believe that modern digicam sensors are no more technically able to handle the luminance rangeof bright sunlit situations than film was. My take on the observations voiced here, that some P&S cameras don't blow out highlights, is simply that they must be compressing the luminance range but true DSLRs are not programmed to do that, for image quality reasons and to not put artificail constraints on good photographers.

I truly believe that if one is shooting in a bright sunlit situation, oneshould set the digicam's contrast to -1, and adjust the final contrast in PP.

If your intuition isthat the E500 took better photos than the E510 for you,I'd be inclinedto trust my intuition. There really are subtle differences in the way different digicams take pictures, which I believe has to do with the differences among the sensors but probably more importantly, differences in the way the engineers designing the cameras made decisions about the way the camera software's post-processing operates at the RAW level, even before the consequent JPEG processing occurs. Hey, their decisions are based on the way they take pictures which may well differ from the way you do. They are no more "correct" than you are. Remember the days when most all photographersdisagreed with Kodak's ASA rating of some of their films?

Since the E510 doesn't satisfy you and since the E3 is way more expensive than the E1, I'd send some time searching DPReview for opinions on comparisons between the E1 images and the E3's. I'd also ask Harj - he's an excellent photographer (although he's a bit disenchanted with his current rig right now).

Ted
Old Jul 31, 2008, 8:38 PM   #7

Hi Zig

Here's a shot (not taken by me) of the E1 + Leica D:

I can;t add to what you and Ted have already discussed - there's a lot to like with the E1 but with the recent price drop in the US of the E3, the new cam looks even better, although in my opinion the E1's ergonomics is still simply the best.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 8:47 PM   #8

Hey Ted,

I'm sure you're right about the same limitations existing for film as well as digicams. Actually you've given me a great suggestion. I've got over a thousand photographs amassed over the years using various film cameras from the Yashica Mat 124G to the Konica FT-1Motor and a lot of stuff in-between. I think I'll go thru a bunch to see how the images compare to what I'm getting now. from the E-510. Of course, I'll probably get depressed at how little I've improved overa span of about 40yrs, but that's a different issue.

You know, I have to keep reminding myself that when you think about all the hardware andsoftware available to us, today,with which we can shoot, modify, create, etc. then post it on the web to share, compare, and discuss. It's nothing short of a miracle. What an amazing time we live in. We certainly couldn't do anything like that in our film days.

ASA......What's that??????????:-)

BTW, I've been going to DPReview as well as the fourthirds forums to take a peek at what the prevailing sentiment is on the E-1, E-3 and E-510 et all. It's nice to get different perspectives then compare them to your own beliefs. And I agree, we need to trust our own intuitions as to what looks right and what suits ourstyle of photography best.

regards,

Zig

Old Jul 31, 2008, 9:19 PM   #9

Hi Harj,

Thanks for posting that shot. To me, that's a good example of the type of shot that I find rather difficult to properly capture.Either the signs are over-exposed, or if I adjust for that, the dark areas then become too underexposed. FWIW, I use aperture priority for almost all my shots, preferring to set aperturethen adjustISO as need be. I generally don't mess with WB- although, my brain tells me I should.

BTW, thanx foryour input on the E-1 as it compares to the E-3. Yes, the E-3 price drop whets my appetite, then I read another post regarding the E-1 and that turns my head yet again.

I think what I really need to do is go to a camera shop and try the E-3 out. That will be a bit difficult to do with the E-1. But the pricing on the E-1 is such that I could take a chance on that unit.

regards,

Zig

Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:18 PM   #10

As a picture-taking machine, the E-1 is virtually in a class of it own when it comes to Olympus DSLR's. It just feels right while you are taking pictures.

It's after you take the picture when it becomes obvious how much the technology has advanced. The LCD is comparatively tiny compared to my E510. I still have my E1 and played with it the other night, wondering when/if I'd ever use it again and, to be honest, it feelsdated when it comes to the technology inside. Reviews can only be enlarged to 4x. Combined with the muchsmaller screen, it's almost like no enlargement at all. The information you can overlay is very rudimentary-looking and can't be just scrolled through like today's DSLR's.

One thing I've never really been able to understand, Olympus changed something with the TTL pre-flash after the E1. I was/am able to use my FL50 with the E1 and NEVER get anyone with blinking eyes....not even my cat. The timing between the pre-flash and actual flash is very, very small.

Beginning with the E300, the pre-flash to actual flashis obviously not happening as fast as I often catch people with blinking eyes and have to resort to changing to non-TTL auto. I have never, with my E300 or my current E510, been able to shoot a flash image of my cat and catch him with his eyes open. Whatever Olympus has done in terms of the other technology, some portions of the flash technology have gone backwards since the E1.

I would be interested in knowing ifthe the E3's pre-flash affects subjects for anyone or not, wondering if it uses the same near instantaneous delay as the E1 compared to the consumer models I've used.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote