Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 5, 2008, 4:22 PM   #1

I'm sure most of us have seen the news on the Micro 4/3 rds annoucement by Oly and Panasonic today. Very interestign news indeed and I think we'll see something in terms of mockup or even a prototype from either Panaleica or Oly at Photokina. The Dcresouce page has some additional pics - one with no EVF - not sure I;d want a camera without a viewfinder but I think we're about to see some really exciting stuff coming from Oly and Panaleica. I was going to get an LX3 - thats now on hold as I want to see what the M4/3's cam's are going to be like.

http://dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3767

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08...fourthirds.asp

Dave's Analysis over at Imaging Resource:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1217960634.html

About to read this Dave's viewpoint - from what I've read so far very well put together and insightful.

Taken from Dave's article - what the new Micro4/3's will bring:

* Smaller Size
No Optical Viewfinder - The EVIL CAM
Contrast-detect autofocus only
Lens compatibility: Yes and no
* Movies!

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2008, 5:22 PM   #2

My grab-and-go camera is an Oly SP-550UZ, which has an EVF. I consider it a non-seriouscamera, useful when I don't have time to grab, or don't needthe heavy Oly SLR camera bag because I only want to take P&S-style snapshots (family parties, etc.). But there's no way an EVF and LCD viewfinder (without a real OVF, that works in bright light) will be a serious camera for me.

All that said, I think it's great for the 4/3 group to try to makeinroads in the market for those photographers who are only semi-serious (no criticism intended).

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 5:49 PM   #3

Wow!!!!! That very interesting!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 6:12 PM   #4

Hi Guys

I was really taken by suprise by the annoucement - the EVIL Cam's been mentioned quiet a bit on the various forums over the last couple of years but this is going to be interesting. Personally I think Andy Piper's comment over at the Leica forum is pretty close to what we'll see - well at least from Panaleica anyway:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...digital-m.html

"My crystal ball says the M4/3 standard will be the basis for a Digilux 4 rather than a compact M. With a compact 12mm-36mm f/2.0-3.5 zoom ("24-72" effective). POSSIBLY with a zooming but non-focusing optical viewfinder in place of the Digilux 2's EVF. Just the way I'll bet until photokina or other announcements to the contrary.

I'm not clear on whether the M4/3rds cameras will use focal-plane shutters or not - seems like a dust issue with interchangeable lenses if they do not.

I guess an M4/3 "M rangefinder" is possible with the right hardware to link the lenses through the micro-mount to a rangefinder....

....but a self-contained new system with it's own lens set (plus the option to use "real" M lenses via live-view) seems more elegant and likely. 4 lenses to start (scaled to the M4/3 mount) 12 f/2.8, 18 f/2, 25 f1.4, 45 f/2 (or 2.8). The electronic framelines everyone wanted in the M8."

Add to that weather sealing, SSWF and IS in camera + Small size then I think there's going to be a lot of togs that would be willing to get one even just to act as a backup to an existing system. For the streetshooter - it's going to be perfect.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
Old Aug 5, 2008, 6:29 PM   #5

Hi, Harj,

Well if Leica pulls that off, I'm extremely interested. I'm just not impressed with an EVF. The Oly SP-XXXUZ cameras take very good pix, but only with a lot of devotion from the photographer (at least this one) to overcome the EVF...

Thanks for tracking this info - I appreciate it.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 7:08 AM   #6

Hi Harj,

Thanks for bringing the announcemet to our attention. Just had a chance to read DPreviews' site as well as Dave's perspective @imaging resource.

This is prettyintersting stuff to me in that, theOlympus ( optics expertise)/Pana (sensor capabiilties) partnership just might be able to deliver a truly "pocket size" camera that accepts interchangable lenses with theability to deliver truly high quality images.

In another thread, the conversation shifted to the C-xxx series of digicams and how well they performed. Some of the reasons I really liked my c-5060wz were the IQ of the images, the small size of the camera, and the feature set included- in many respects it wasvery much like a digital SLR. Some of the things that were missing- an OPV and the ability to change lenses made me jump to the E-500. This announcement leads me to believe that the camera bodymay end up being eerily similar to a C-5050 or C-5060 in size and perhaps in appearance. Unfortunately, an EFV is going a bit backwards. If this camera came out in 2005, shortly after I bought my C-5060wz, I would have upgraded immediately. Today........ I'm not so certain.

I'll belooking forward to Wrotniak's and John Foster's impressions on this latest announcement. In the meantime, it's fun to readabout something new and exciting.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 4:18 PM   #7

Here's a pic of the new mount and the first lens next to a 40-150: Now if thats an F2 constant zoom lens - even a 14-35, I'd be happy.

Old Aug 7, 2008, 6:30 AM   #8

might work well on a keychain

gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 6:34 AM   #9

Hi all,

Just finished reading a shortarticle dealing with the Micro Four Thirds announcement on Luminous Landscape. In that article, he refers to an earlier piece he wrote on convergence technology. To me, some pretty interesting stuff.

If you haven't gotten tired reading about microfourthirds.............

here'sthe link :http://luminous-landscape.com/whatsnew/

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 6:45 AM   #10

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microf...l#SlideFrame_9
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote