Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 9, 2008, 8:32 PM   #1

I like to make the rounds of the local car shows and the unusually good weather this year is actually turning into a problem. Two weeks ago, I had a real issue with the intense afternoon sun creating killer contrast. Cars parked with their trunks facing South were almost unphotographable because their grills were in deep shadow. The pictures were barely acceptable for a number of vehicles.

With the biggest outdoor carshow of the year today...same problem. Forecast called for a bright, sunny day and I'd be photographing cars when the sun was at maximum. I decided to add the FL-36R to the kit today. I tend to avoid it at shows because I don't like walking around with a thousand people bumping together...with the flash stuck on the camera. Today, I figured I didn't have much choice. So I went to the show and shot about 100 pictures without the flash. Then I mounted the flash and shot some of the more difficult subjects...maybe 30 pictures using the FL-36 to fill-in.

The results were outstanding. I managed to save just about every picture that would have been unsalvageable. I shot RAW at ISO 100 with the white balance set for outdoors on a clear day. The RAW images were pretty much bang on, as is (E-510 with the 11-22mm).

Another note. Despite complaints I continue to see, the FL-36 recycles so fast that I actually thought is wasn't firing. Everytime I took a picture, I'd glance at the flash and it was ready to go again...this on an old set of alkalines with about 200 flashes already. A few times, I took my eye away from the viewfinder to make sure it was firing. It fired every time and was instantly ready to go again.

Here's three of those fill-in flash pictures:

Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:04 AM   #2

Hi Brent,

The E-510 11-22mm lens combo certainly produces some fine images.

Thanks for sharing.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:40 AM   #3

I call the 11-22mm "my car show lens".

You go to events like these (as I do regulalry) and there are thousands of people milling about. Folks with cameras are often standing 10 or 15 feet back trying to get the whole car in their shot. You can't do that and expect people to stay out of your way.

With the 11-22, I can stand 2 feet back and get the whole car.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:56 AM   #4

Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:
Folks with cameras are often standing 10 or 15 feet back trying to get the whole car in their shot. You can't do that and expect people to stay out of your way.

With the 11-22, I can stand 2 feet back and get the whole car.

You're absolutely right, and it happens at all types of venues. One of the frustrations i've had whenever I go to an event that will be well attended, unless you have a really wide angle lens, it's just about impossible to capture the entire subject. Your example, here, is aperfect illustration of that.

Thanks for pointing out a use for a flash outdoors. The flash is the one thing I've actually never thought of using. It really worked here.

Also, I'm waiting for the release of the Oly 9-18mm lens which is due to come out sometime this Fall. If it's anywhere near as good at producing images as clean as the 11-22 lens- it will be winner.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:19 AM   #5

hi Brent,

................really nice photos!

I have used a flash outdoors in bright light with good results but I most often I don't think about using it, or having it with me in the event I thought about using it.

Thanks for the reminder, but as an OF I will likely forget about it again.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:41 AM   #6

Those are some excellent shots! I would've liked to see some without the flash as comparison to really show it's worth but if you dont' have them/don't want to post them, I'll take your word.
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:03 PM   #7

Here's the car at the top of this thread. I took the top photo without flash and then came back about an hour later and photographed it with the flash.

The top image isn't awful...but the bottom one is better.

Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:40 PM   #8

Definite improvement! If only fill-in flash would work on landcapes/scenery shots...HA!
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:16 PM   #9

Hi Brent:

Great car shots. I love auto shows. Interesting observation about using a 11-22 lens. Wish I had one of those!

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote