Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:36 AM   #1

Hi,

Was sitting in my office this morning and noticed an interesting series of clouds rolling in. Took my camera to the end of the street and took this photo about 10 minutes before the rain came down and the thunder began.

E-510, 14-45mm lens with CPL filter. shot RAW

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:14 PM   #2

...........very nice! What a view you have at the end of your street too. Not a lot of us have something that nice, I used to when we lived in Huntington Beach, CA, but then that was so long ago now.

Does not a shot like that remind us again that the Olympus std lenses can make a really good photo?

Tnx and shoot some more of that view.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 5:24 PM   #3

Hi Bob,

Huntington Beach......... now that is a very pretty part of the world!! Haven't been there in quite sometime.

Thanks for the response and since you asked, here's a shot which I took when I turned and looked to the East.

By the way, all these clouds looked so innocent. In the next hour, we had torrential rain, lightning and thunder the likes of which we hadn't experienced in a while.

Zig

Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:34 AM   #4

Great shots bro! The clouds really make those pictures snap!

IRT to PGM

I live in Seal Beach and I have taken some good shots down at Huntington Beach. However being a southern boy...I really miss the clouds like seen above. They always make for some awesome symmetry in a photo.
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:57 PM   #5

Hi Signalsoldier,

Generally, we don't see that type of cloud structure here in the Summer. Most often, due to the humidity, the skies are hazy and quite boring during the day. The only opportunity for a sky with any kind of interesting color is at sunrise and sunset.

Photography is a fun hobby, I never used to pay attention to what has happening in the World outside untilI started taking photos.

Zig

Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:04 PM   #6

Hi zig: interesting shots, great contrast between the clouds and the blue sky. It reminds me of the type of clouds we get during the rainy season. Blue sky that has the clouds rolling in, thenbuilding up to a thunderstorm.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:10 PM   #7

That first image especially...is really nice. Love the angle, composition, exposureand really dramatic sky. Must be tough having a scene like that at the end of the street!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:16 PM   #8

Hi Steven,

Thepolarizing filter certainly adds a lot to the shots........I'm glad that there was an earlier post by Bob or Greg (sorry, can't remember which) to remind me to take advantage of a CPL in that type of situation.

Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:31 PM   #9

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
That first image especially...is really nice. Love the angle, composition, exposureand really dramatic sky. Must be tough having a scene like that at the end of the street!
Thanx Greg,

It doesn't happen often, but this timeI really paid attention to getting the best angle on the shot Iwas trying to achieve.Mother Naturecertainly helped by providing such a great opportunity.Shooting a sky scene allows you a lot more time to think about what it is that you would like to capture. Unlike horses rounding a turn, as in the gems that you post.

As to where I live, wheneverIforget about how lucky I am, I walk down to the beach and it's an vivid reminder.

Zig

Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:02 PM   #10

Since we are on the subject of clouds, let me share a few grab shots I chanced to get while driving home one evening. I had just turned toward the east on a major intersection, and the evening moon was getting ready to disappear behind a large cloud. The cloud was reflecting the sunlight from the sun that hadalready set. I have to swerve my car into a shopping center, grab my camera from the back seat, andsnap off 3 quick hand-held shots beforethe moon disappeared.

I would have loved to havehad a tripod and more time to compose the shots, but think they are interesting shots anyway.

Steve R.
Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote