Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 11, 2008, 5:17 PM   #1

Around this time of year (August 8-14), the Perseid meteor shower takes place as Earth enters a cosmic dust field resulting in a night-time display not often seen any other time of year. The prediciton is that with the right conditions (clear sky, waiting for the moon to set and moving away from big city light pollution) you'll be able to spot 120 "shooting stars" an hour. Apparently 2am tonight will be the best time and this year should prove to be just as good as any with the previous three nights delivering with some excellent sightings, including a basetball sized comet entering the atmosphere over British Columbia this past weekend.

We're hoping to get up tomorrow morning and I'll be breaking out the E510, 18-180mm and 8mm fish-eye to see what I can capture. If anyone else is venturing out, post some shots here!

As always, suggestions are more than welcome.
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2008, 6:03 PM   #2

Thanks for the reminder.

The Northeast, unfortunately, seems to be socked in with a very unstable airmass that continues to plague us with either, overcast skies, rainor thunderstorms.

I'll most likely will be sleeping in as there is little likelyhood that anything is going to change in the next 3 days.

good Luck and post some pics

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:35 PM   #3

Thanks for reminding us. Things had been so hectic around here that I had forgotten all about it. I always enjoy the meteor showers. There is no neighbor lights nor street lightsin my back yard. I always get a great view of meteorsshowers, but I have to admit that I have never tried to to any photography of them.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:16 AM   #4

Sadly the cloud cover didn't lift last night so I didn't get a chance to even try to capture any. MAYBE tonight but not holding my breath.

Hopefully someone else managed to catch something.
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 5:11 AM   #5

You have another chance when the Leonids make an appearance in mid November. This can be the most spectacular of them all.
I remember observing on one occasion, when there were around 1800 per hour, or around one every 2 seconds!!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 7:25 AM   #6

dnas wrote:
Quote:
You have another chance when the Leonids make an appearance in mid November. This can be the most spectacular of them all.
I remember observing on one occasion, when there were around 1800 per hour, or around one every 2 seconds!!!
Thanks for the reminder. I've justplugged it into my calendar.

I remember the last time the Leonids were able to be seen. My wife and I woke up around 4am, hopped into the car and drove about a mile to a beach where we thought we would get a better chance to see. We thought that we were soooo smart..............When we arrived at the parking lot, we were amazed to see the lot was almost full with approximately 100 cars. Everyone was standing in front of their car, bundled up anddrinking coffee since it was around 10degrees farenheit.

As for the show, it was spectacular-with not a cloud in the sky. I didn't have the presence of mind to bring a camera along then. I certainly will in the future.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote