Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 13, 2008, 4:14 AM   #1

I came across this little link:

http://www.markcargill.co.uk/pages/d300-e3-comp.php

There's a comparison between the E3 and Nikon D300, what caught my eye was the comment that Oly Studio seemed to be the best RAW converter for the E3.

"The above crop was made from a RAW comversion in Olympus Studio 2. This is to show the there is a slight issue in the ACR conversion, an issue aknowledged by adobe."

I know its not the best comparison but I found it interesting that he was able to state that Adobe was aware of an issue with ACR and E3 files.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2008, 4:32 PM   #2

When I first received my E510 I was converting RAW files via the DNG converter since I'm stuck on CS2-land where E510 ORF files can't be handled, but since buying Studio 2.0 (and doing the recent upgrade) I've not used anything other than Studio with my E510 RAW files. I really likewhat it produces from E510 files.It's slow....actually.... anything right now is slow for me...I need a new computer, not a 7-14 Digital Zuiko(!)..... but I'm getting the lens anyway.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:09 PM   #3

after using photoshop for a while and not quite liking the color results, I've been considering the olympus studio. I have installed the trial version and everything, but I am still kind of lost. I miss the more finegrained settings of PS. Do you guys have any Olympus studio 2 tutorials to point me to?
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:37 PM   #4

I've seen no detailed tutotials on Studio in any of it's versions.

There is a total lack of most all the fineadjustments/sliders you have with Adobe Camera RAW. I kind-of like that to be honest. My in-camera sharpening setting is -2 and I don't add any back in, in Studio or post-conversion in Photoshop or some other program. The only added sharpening my files ever get is the default that my website (Smugmug)applies that I could adjustor turn off if I wanted, but I've never messed with it.

Most of my adjustments in Studio consist of exposure compensation, white balance adjustments, adding additional contrast and/or vivid color to images that warrant it, and that's about it. The one command of Adobe Camera RAWI missin Studio is the ability to straighten the image before conversion. There is a tool for that post-conversion, but not in the RAW converter.

If you like moving all the sliders back & forth, applying luminence smoothing and fine tuning individual color channels, Olympus Studio isn't what you want to be using. If you want a (comparatively)pretty simpleconverter that gives great colors to your files, Studio's the ticket.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:50 AM   #5

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
When I first received my E510 I was converting RAW files via the DNG converter since I'm stuck on CS2-land where E510 ORF files can't be handled, but since buying Studio 2.0 (and doing the recent upgrade) I've not used anything other than Studio with my E510 RAW files. I really likewhat it produces from E510 files.It's slow....actually.... anything right now is slow for me...I need a new computer, not a 7-14 Digital Zuiko(!)..... but I'm getting the lens anyway.
Here, Here! Good Choice! You could probably get a usable machine for 1/2 the cost of the lens anyway. Cheers!
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:17 AM   #6
OCD

Quote:
I know its not the best comparison but I found it interesting that he was able to state that Adobe was aware of an issue with ACR and E3 files.

I think it may depend when the test was made and if he was using the latest version of ACR with the E3 profile.

Prior to the introduction of ACR 4.5 and the Adobe Standard Beta 1 profiles concept I always found ACR needed tweaking and a preset saved to getan imagethat was the same in overall look to a Master 2 or Studio file (and in detail the ACR was superior to either). But with ACR 4.5 I can't really fault it at all, it still gives a more refined conversion with less shadownoise, but the colour and contrast is now well up to Master/Studio if not better than.

Steve
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 8:19 AM   #7

Has any one tried LR 2 with ORF files and noticed any difference with the files that produces ?

I just find Oly's Master/Studio UI's seriously bad to use.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

Old Aug 16, 2008, 1:40 PM   #8

Hi Harj,

Like you, i'm not a big fan on Olympus' Studio/Master software -especially the GUI.

Luckily - for me- I don't often shoot RAW. One reason is simply, I haven't found a package that i'm happy to use to convert/process the files. i recently found this. It does work on ORF files and it is easy to use.. Now will it give you what you're looking for? I don't know but the download is free and may be worth the effort to find out.

http://www.stepok.net/eng/raw_importer.htm

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 2:13 PM   #9

Hi Zig!

Thnaks for that link I'll take a look. All I'm really looking for (like everyone else) is a raw convertor that gives the best results with a fairly decent GUI, and without too much effort - the Oly apps are just some of the worst I've ever seen.

Now on a related note, I stumbled upon this little discussion re: ACR 4.5 and camera profiles over at one of the Nikon forums:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcbo...5791&page=

I'm going to install the beta camera profiles that's mentioned in that thread and see if I can notice any difference when processing a raw file.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitle...cameraprofiles

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitle...gprofileeditor

Cheers

Harj

Old Aug 16, 2008, 2:51 PM   #10

Hi Harj,

I'll be looking forward to hear your impressions of the software you found on the Nikon site.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote