Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:27 PM   #1

Just read this on another forum and thought it might be worthwile passing it along:

Apparently Adorama is advertising the 9-18mm lens @599US.

http://www.adorama.com/IOM918.html

So far this is the only one i've found but i'm sure others will follow shortly.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:17 AM   #2

Well, that price seems to be on the high side...had this lens been available before summer I would have bought it at that price without looking at reviews but now that summer is over, there's no point in buying it as I do most of my shooting in the summer; just don't have time during the rest of the year, and now I can afford to wait for both a price drop or rebates, and for a comparitive review against the less expensive Sigma 10-20mm ($60 cheaper at Adorama than the 9-18mm).

Also, I didn't know according to the text at the link you posted that both the 7-14mm and the 9-18mm are image stabilized lenses...maybe I'll buy the lens after for my E-300 and E-330, and sue Adorama for making false claims, "that feature both a focal distance equivalent to less than 20mm on a 35mm camera and image stabilization." (They don't say "provided you have an image stabilized body to get that ability"...at least not in that paragraph.)

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 5:51 AM   #3

The advertised price at Adorama is essentially the MSRPwhen Olympus issued the press release on the lens.

Like you, I'm looking forward to the price being lowered thru competition, rebates etc. Also, with the release of this lens, the price of the 11-22mm lens might actually drop a bit as well.

Another positive, in my mind, is that adding another lens to the product line only helps in reducing the complaints that Oly has a very limited line of lenses for their cameras.

The only thing left for me, is to patiently wait for a review of the lens by Wrotniak or John Foster.

Zig

Old Aug 16, 2008, 5:59 AM   #4

Well, this will be the THIRD summer I've been waiting for this lens, since it was first placed on the lens roadmap two years ago. In my mind it's too little too late (should have been an 8-16 instead).

Like I said since it's too late for this summer there's no point buying it at the bleeding edge price sight unseen, and may even wait until next summer...hopefully someone will buy it and not like it so I can buy it used.

Old Aug 16, 2008, 7:12 AM   #5

Hi Guys

Zig, thanks for pointing posting the link to the 9-18. I'm a wee bit suprised by the price - its bound to be £600, which is placing it in HG territory and I'm hoping it does have that quality as well. How will it compare to the 7-14 F4, esp considering its an F4 -5.6? Do we know if it'll come with SWD ?

Ok, the 9-18 according to parkscamera is due in September :

http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductDe...f-cb83a394585f

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

PS

Just checked the oLy Uk site and it looks as the 9-18 is not SWD.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:43 AM   #6

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Do we know if it'll come with SWD ?
It is in the standard lens range, which means it should be the same focus by wire that's in the kit lenses (yay!).

It may be the one thing that wins me over Sigma with it's silly switch on the lens barrel that has to be switched in addition to switching to manual focus on the body.

Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:55 AM   #7

According to the press release, it is a consumer grade lens NOT Pro grade

Zig
Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:08 PM   #8

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
It may be the one thing that wins me over Sigma with it's silly switch on the lens barrel that has to be switched in addition to switching to manual focus on the body.

By now many of you have no doubt read that the ZD70-300mm lens is a Sigma clone- or at least, made by Sigma to Oly mfg standards.

One of the features that people point to when making this claim is the switch found on the lens barrel. The switch on the lens allows the user to quickly switch from manual to auto focus- without having to go through the control panelofmy E-510to set the camera for manual focus. I happen to use this feature quite a bit when using liveview and wanting to fine tune the focus on an exact spot.I'm happy that it is there.

I guess it is a matter of different strokes' for different folks.

Zig
Old Aug 18, 2008, 9:24 AM   #9
PJM

Last year I asked am Oly tech support rep about who makes the lens. Answer: Oly makes the lens elements and Sigma does the assembly from the Oly design and specs. So, technically speaking--it's Oly glass.
PJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:35 AM   #10

If it's Oly specs, why did they have to add the cobbled together focus switch...couldn't they use Oly's method for switching focus?