Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2008, 4:43 PM   #1

I thought I'd do a quick comparison of the RAW conversion from LR2 and the default ACR 4.4 camera profile and the new Standard beta camera profiles. Pics were taken at the British museum today:

1. ACR 4.4 Profile - Auto exposure in LR only. No Sharpening.

f2.0 @ 1/250s, ISO 800.

2. The new Standard Beta Camera Profile:

3. ACR 4.4 camera profile

f2.0 @ 1/125s ISO 1250

4. Adobe Standard Beta camera profile

You can find additional crops here and also download the full size files if you want to.

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/gallery/39...52959786_WGoC5

I personally prefer the look of the files using the new Beta Camera profile for LR2 and CS3 - its a subtle difference but one that is definitely an improvement. I'm going to try the same files with Bibble, Silkypix, Capture One and Studio when I get some time to do so.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

PS. I'm using a laptop at the moment so my preference might change once I get to view the images on a proper display.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2008, 2:05 AM   #2

I was playing around with it, and the key difference seemed to be how reds are processed. I hope you don't mind, but I am going to post a couple of small images, with associated histograms, to illustrate that.

adobe standard beta

it seems to tone down reds more significantly, greens a little bit, and it seems to boost blues a bit too.

Another example:
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 2:16 AM   #3

standard beta

Old Aug 17, 2008, 2:44 AM   #4
OCD

dlpin, Harj, you both are using 'difficult' subjects to get an overall picture of how the new profiles work. But dlpin makes an interesting point about the red channel being held back a little. In the outsidelandscape I am finding skies and greens much more realistic and far less muddy than previously using ACR conversion 'out of the box'.

Steve
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 2:56 AM   #5

sorry, my choice of subjects might have been less than ideal, but I did it to try to prove my point of holding reds back a bit and boosting blues.
The first set was because it was the only one that had a histogram that really presented a difference, and the second to show how different the blues and reds are.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 1:40 PM   #6

Hi Steve and dlpin

Firstly Dlpin, thanks for posting those pics and Steve, I realise my choice of pics weren't the best (sorry!) and I should have mentioned that using the Std Beta profile was to my eyes producing a more realistic file in terms of colour to the original scene. I'm not sure if I've noticed any more detail in the conversion though and what i should have done is taken a High Res Jpeg as well to use as a comparison.

Cheers

Harj

: o )>
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote