Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 17, 2008, 7:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,901
Default


Open question to Harj, Ken, Greg, Zig, Ted, et al: I would like your opinions, pros & cons, of the Internet photo sites where you post your portfolios. We are speaking of sites like Pbase, Smugmug, Flickr,etc.




A couple of concerns:

  1. [/*]do you consider such sites as off-site backups for your photos, and are they posted at full resolution, etc.?? Or they used simply to share your images with others?

  2. [/*]Do you have any concerns about use of your photos without permission or compensation? Which sites offer better protection against unauthorized copying?



I would welcome your overall comments about your experiences and satisfaction of the sites that you use, and why you choose one over the other. Yes, all the sites talk about how good they are, but I trust you comments more than I ever would some Internet description written by a marketing department. Of course, it goes without saying that we want your opinions as to which is best.




Thanks in advance.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2008, 8:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mikefellh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,707
Default

Quote:
do you consider such sites as off-site backups for your photos, and are they posted at full resolution, etc.?? Or they used simply to share your images with others?
No, my Photobucket (and others that I used) photosharing site are merely for posting low resolution images, 1024 or smaller. Only so I can link to images in messages so show something I'm doing.

Quote:
Do you have any concerns about use of your photos without permission or compensation? Which sites offer better protection against unauthorized copying?
If it's on the internet and can be viewed on a computer screen, it can be copied.

There's no concern as it's blatently obvious as any image online can be used without your knowledge or consent; it's the norm to expect that and accept that!

The only way I can see is watermarking small images, and ZIP large images with a unique password for each file so it can only be opened with the password.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 8:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,901
Default

Thanks Mike. So if I understand, you only post lower resolution images. That makes sense in order to protect against commercial use.

How about your backup? I'm also getting a little concerned about my backups. Ihave 2 desktop PCs and a laptop. I mainly download to my laptop first, then later back up to a portable hard drive and the desktop.While hard drive space is cheap and easy to use; I'm starting to worry that everything is under the same roof.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:19 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

Steven R wrote:
Quote:

  1. do you consider such sites as off-site backups for your photos, and are they posted at full resolution, etc.?? Or they used simply to share your images with others?

    [/*]

  2. Do you have any concerns about use of your photos without permission or compensation? Which sites offer better protection against unauthorized copying?
    [/*]
Hi Steven,

Using PBase.com, for me, is a quick and easy way to share images with friends and family. I can also copy a link so that I can postthe imageon this forum or in an e-mail. Pricing is relatively cheap-around $23.00 for 500mb of space on the server. I have little to no problems downloading groups of photos or singles. I have no experience with other sites, other than to visit them when Greg and others post a link to view their photos.

As for copyright protection, Mike is right. You post it on the internet - it's out there for anyone to copy unless it is watermarked. Actually, I use PBase so that I can send a photo to a friend or family member for the purpose of their printing it- if they wanted to. It beats having to print an image then having to mail it.

As far as a back up is concerned. I use a Seagate 250GB external hard drive that runs in the background. I don't use PBase as a backup server because, in order to save space, I compress the files. As much as I like and use the Internet, there are somethings like, protecting back upfiles, that I want to control and have possession of at home.

My needs are relatively simple since I don't sellphotos or work as a photographer. PBase and a external hard drive work for me.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:44 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mikefellh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,707
Default

There's discs (CD, DVD), as an additional backup...and as for off-site storage you can get a safety deposit box.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 8:30 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Open question to Harj, Ken, Greg, Zig, Ted, et al: I would like your opinions, pros & cons, of the Internet photo sites where you post your portfolios. We are speaking of sites like Pbase, Smugmug, Flickr,etc.




A couple of concerns:

  1. do you consider such sites as off-site backups for your photos, and are they posted at full resolution, etc.?? Or they used simply to share your images with others?

    [/*]

  2. Do you have any concerns about use of your photos without permission or compensation? Which sites offer better protection against unauthorized copying?


I would welcome your overall comments about your experiences and satisfaction of the sites that you use, and why you choose one over the other. Yes, all the sites talk about how good they are, but I trust you comments more than I ever would some Internet description written by a marketing department. Of course, it goes without saying that we want your opinions as to which is best.




Thanks in advance.

Steven R.
[/*]

1. Yes, I definitely consider my site at Smugmug as an off-site photo storage space. Every file I have uploaded is there in it's full resolution size. I do have them there for the sharing aspect as well.

2. I don't think any site can guarantee 100% security of your images. There are too many devious folks out there whocan circumvent any security system.Smugmug has some goodsecurity steps you can take, from not allowing the "save photo" feature to using watermarking and/or restricting the size of the image that can be viewed, but to be honest, probably the only way you can fully protect yourself is to simply not upload and sharephotos on the internet, and I'm not going to do that...I just don't take myself serious enough to think too many folks are out there making wads of money using my images. Most of the folders that I have made available for anyone to see has everyfile available for viewing and/or downloading at their full original size.

I've been very happy now for 3-4 years with Smugmug. It's rarely ever down, has agreat support group and the prints I have had them do for me have been every bit as good as the local pro labs I've used through the years here in Dallas.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 9:22 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
1. Yes, I definitely consider my site at Smugmug as an off-site photo storage space. Every file I have uploaded is there in it's full resolution size. I do have them there for the sharing aspect as well.

2. I don't think any site can guarantee 100% security of your images. There are too many devious folks out there whocan circumvent any security system.Smugmug has some goodsecurity steps you can take, from not allowing the "save photo" feature to using watermarking and/or restricting the size of the image that can be viewed, but to be honest, probably the only way you can fully protect yourself is to simply not upload and sharephotos on the internet, and I'm not going to do that...I just don't take myself serious enough to think too many folks are out there making wads of money using my images. Most of the folders that I have made available for anyone to see has everyfile available for viewing and/or downloading at their full original size.

I've been very happy now for 3-4 years with Smugmug. It's rarely ever down, has agreat support group and the prints I have had them do for me have been every bit as good as the local pro labs I've used through the years here in Dallas.
I concur in the above comments. I would add that if you put an External SATA (eSATA) board in your computer and get an external SATA drive, you will get transfer speeds way higher than USB2 - an eSATA drive mounts at the BIOS level, not the operating system level so the computer views it as an internal drive. The only downside is that you mustpower on the external drive before you boot the computer and the boothas to be a cold boot - you can't hot-mount an eSATA drive (at least with the current versions of Windoze).

I would also add that another reason tolike Smugmug is that they provide a free account to any legitimate non-profit organization and I like to support any company that has that sort of altruism.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
boBBrennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, Texas USA
Posts: 3,554
Default

............I too concur regarding Greg's and Ted's remarks of SmugMug. Having used a couple others in years past, I find SmugMug provides services, options, and system design for usage and security aspects that surpass any other that I know of.

Smugmug is designed, written, supported and managed by the family that owns it, and they are photographers too. This means a lot to me, I worked my entire 48 year career in the world of IT and I appreciate the work that causes SmugMug to function as it does with options to address about every level of want from basic to professional, all at zero, no vendor, advertising banners for any level account.

And SmugMug does do things beyond just being a 'rent' receiving host too, from what Ted mentioned to supporting prize requests. In the past year SmugMug has donated 'lifetime Pro accounts' to photo contests winners of various forums.

There are plenty of photo hosts, some quoted as FREE, but for me I am happy I found SmugMug 3 years ago after I lost all my galleries/files by another site. I had my own backups and still do......... on DVDs

Again, just my 2-cents and here is my basic (it is all I need) account at http://bobbrennan.smugmug.com/




boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 3:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,529
Default

Hi Zig

Can't add anymore to what Greg, Ted and Bob have mentioned regards Smugmug. Its been a really good service for me and like Greg, I've ended up using mine like an online storage service ! You would not believe how much space I'm taking up on their servers ... and paying what I consider a very good value for money price. The other thing which Ted mentions in his reply :

"I would also add that another reason tolike Smugmug is that they provide a free account to any legitimate non-profit organization and I like to support any company that has that sort of altruism. "

To me any company that does that .. can happily have my money .. well some of it :?


If your worried about down time.. I think tehres been just one in 12 months.. and thats not bad service at all.

Cheers

Harj


:G :? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 8:49 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,901
Default

Thanks guys, for all your comments. Like I mentioned, I've been dealing with this forum long enough to trust your judgments.

I have lots of photos, but also have lots of backup hard drives. But it struck me that everything is under the same roof. That's kind of hit home, as currently we have a tropical storm or a hurricane due to hit my area tomorrow afternoon. While this one is a small one, I know what a largehurricane can do to a house.

And I appreciate your observations about internet copycats.While you can take steps, I guess you can never be 100%protected. I don't carewho copies for personal use, but I've been reading lately a lot aboutinternet piracyfor commercial profit.

You've proved thatbetter, more concise info would come from the words of you guys than all the sales pitches of all sites put together.

Thanks again guys,

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:10 PM.