Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:19 AM   #1

I just read the E520 review at dpreview and it's not encouraging at all. The few new features added to the new model are obscured by the fact that Olympus really did not resolve one of the most serious issue of the E510: its inability to handle highlights. Add to that the fact that the e520 apparently produces much softer images (even with NF turned off) and its hard for any one to justify the upgrade. I ordered the E520 from Amazon a week ago but haven't received it yet. Until this morning I was counting the days to delivery but now I'm thinking it was a mistake to sell the E510. Perhaps the DR limitation has to do with the small sensor and if that's the case, no new model willoffer a wider DR. Thoughts anyone?
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2008, 2:32 AM   #2
OCD

It is very easy to satisfactorily resolve any problem with the E520 or any other Olympus camera, don't read DPReview.

Steve
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:14 AM   #3

Yep, Guess I'll sell off all my Oly gear and go buy a Sony........maybe the A-300

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:12 AM   #4

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Yep, Guess I'll sell off all my Oly gear and go buy a Sony........maybe the A-300

Zig
Very funny, Zig. The A300 is actually a good camera. The problem is, the kit lens sucks and the two Minolta lenses I bought are much inferior than the Zuiko lenses I have. I really liked the E510 except for its limited DR (highlight clipping primarily). So, we'll see shall we!?!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:33 AM   #5

OCD wrote:
Quote:
It is very easy to satisfactorily resolve any problem with the E520 or any other Olympus camera, don't read DPReview.

Steve
That's one way to do it...take the good reviews and ignore the bad (or not-so-good) ones. I never make camera buying decisions basedsolely on DPR but I don't just ignore them eitherfor I do think their reviews have value.

I'm not sure we can easily resolve some of the E520 issues, but we can certainly ignore them if we choose. The two things I did not like about the review were the fact that DR was not greatly improved and that the E520images are softer than its predecessor. I really liked the crispiness of the E510 images. Now, there is a possibility (andperhaps a strong one) that in real life things are all good, in which case I'll be happy. Ishould receive the E520 on the 26th (at least that's the scheduled delivery date)...can't wait to get my hands on it!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:31 PM   #6

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Very funny, Zig. The A300 is actually a good camera. The problem is, the kit lens sucks and the two Minolta lenses I bought are much inferior than the Zuiko lenses I have. I really liked the E510 except for its limited DR (highlight clipping primarily). So, we'll see shall we!?!
Hi Tullio,

Glad you took my ribbing in the spirit with which it was given:roll:.

It just seems that the more I read, the more I learn and the more I use my E-510, the more I realize that all dslr cameras are really verygood. None of them are perfect however.

There have been extensive discussions regarding the high ISO, highlight clipping, DNR, small OPV, supposed small sensor size etc. etc. etc. of the Olympus DSLR cameras. To the point, that I 've wondered why bother owning any one of them.

Then I read other forums, reviews, etc. and quickly realize that everbody complains about some deficiency in their cameras of choice. -to your point, the Sony's lenses. I've also heard complaints about the user interface on the Sony dslr.

Even though,, I've listed what sounds like an overwhelming number of reasons not to own an Oly. I can think of even more reasons to own one. Size, performance per dollar, IQ ofZD kit lenses-which are great for the money, Feature set, user interface, in-body IS, SSWD, use of OM legacy lenses.

Ya, the DNR maybesuperior than in the nikons, canons, and sonys. But I can pretty much fix that in PP. As I learn more about my camera, Ican limit the impact of DNR by making the propercamera settings whenprior to taking the shot.I'll happily trade the DNR issue for Oly's better glass, better user interface (my opinion), and in-body IS

I do hope you get your E-520 soon and look forward to seeing you post some of your results.

regards,

Zig

Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:32 PM   #7

A lot of the issues regarding soft(er) images than the E520can probably be rectified,at least in somepart,by turning down (or off) the noise filter. I believe a lot of the testing done at DPReview is with the camera set to default settings, which probably includes a"Standard" noise reduction filter setting. It's pretty obvious in looking at the noise filter setting option imagesdisplayed in the review atDPReview that a lot of sharpness can be retained by setting the noise filter to low or off.

The same setting adjustments used on the E510 to combat overly contrasty images...which can lead to a lot of highlight clipping,should probably also be used with the E520, like setting the contrast down to -2 or -1.

BTW....I just picked up one of the 12-60 f2.8-4 SWD Zuikos....this is one sweet lens. The AF system and full-time manual focus remind me of the days when I was using the Canon system with the ring USM motors. Optically, the Zuikos have always been at or near the top. Mechanically, this SWD motor system has elevated the handling side of the lens up to the same level as the other major manufacturers....and I like the fact the lens cap is the "pinch" type, which makes it super easy to leave the hood mounted in the shootingdirection and be able to take the cap on and off.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 1:26 PM   #8

...I have nothing to offer constructively to this thread BUT I read it and noticed this from GChappell where he said, " BTW....I just picked up one of the 12-60 f2.8-4 SWD Zuikos....this is one sweet lens."

Glad you got it Greg and yes it is nice. When I tried that lens at A/Camera I had to put it back in a hurry.

Zig, what will it take to get one in the hands of the Scouse, maybe just more GC samplings?
Old Aug 21, 2008, 1:53 PM   #9

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Hi Tullio,

Glad you took my ribbing in the spirit with which it was given:roll:.

It just seems that the more I read, the more I learn and the more I use my E-510, the more I realize that all dslr cameras are really verygood. None of them are perfect however.

There have been extensive discussions regarding the high ISO, highlight clipping, DNR, small OPV, supposed small sensor size etc. etc. etc. of the Olympus DSLR cameras. To the point, that I 've wondered why bother owning any one of them.

Then I read other forums, reviews, etc. and quickly realize that everbody complains about some deficiency in their cameras of choice. -to your point, the Sony's lenses. I've also heard complaints about the user interface on the Sony dslr.

Even though,, I've listed what sounds like an overwhelming number of reasons not to own an Oly. I can think of even more reasons to own one. Size, performance per dollar, IQ ofZD kit lenses-which are great for the money, Feature set, user interface, in-body IS, SSWD, use of OM legacy lenses.

Ya, the DNR maybesuperior than in the nikons, canons, and sonys. But I can pretty much fix that in PP. As I learn more about my camera, Ican limit the impact of DNR by making the propercamera settings whenprior to taking the shot.I'll happily trade the DNR issue for Oly's better glass, better user interface (my opinion), and in-body IS

I do hope you get your E-520 soon and look forward to seeing you post some of your results.

regards,

Zig

I wouldn't have taken any other way, Zig. I know which forum I'm in:G

The Sony high ISO also sucks. Even at ISO 400, if there is not enough light, noise becomes very noticeable. Now, noise I can clean up much easier than trying to recover blown highlights, reason why I have a bigger problem with cameras that cannot handle highlights well (Sony is really awesome in this department).

In any case, I'm looking forward to get my hands on the E520 and see what it can do.

Old Aug 21, 2008, 2:10 PM   #10

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
BTW....I just picked up one of the 12-60 f2.8-4 SWD Zuikos....this is one sweet lens. The AF system and full-time manual focus remind me of the days when I was using the Canon system with the ring USM motors. Optically, the Zuikos have always been at or near the top. Mechanically, this SWD motor system has elevated the handling side of the lens up to the same level as the other major manufacturers....and I like the fact the lens cap is the "pinch" type, which makes it super easy to leave the hood mounted in the shootingdirection and be able to take the cap on and off.
Ah Geeez Greg,

You had to go and get a 12-60mm didn't ya! Just when I thought I was done buying lenses for a while.

Bob asks the question; what's it going to take and get Ken to buy a 12-60mm? With all due respect to Ken and Bob, I don't care!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as you go posting some your stellar images using the 12-60SWD. I know what's gonna happen. I'm goin' off to get me one. Yikes!

Seriously though, congratulations on getting the 12-60SWD. Every reviewI've readabout it is very positive.I'll be looking forward to seeinga sampling of your work.

Zig